Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

rescued a fly away.

Reaction score
I am so happy I've found this site and have been reading everything I can. Took the I1 down to a stadium yesterday to be used as a reference for an air powered rocket launch( to give people a ref for altitude of rocket.)

anyway setup in the car park about 30m from the large metal stadium to do my compass cal. Did that got a reading of around 1500. Took off before people came out to watch and oh my god it went crazy. Recognized the TBE so switched straight into atti and managed to fight it back into land dodging lamp posts and fences. So happy I've read everyone's advice on what to do. Anyway took it to the far end of the car park and the compass mods were 1200. Did another compass cal and everything was fine. So took off from there for the 2 flights.

I am so happy I've found this site and have been reading everything I can. Took the I1 down to a stadium yesterday to be used as a reference for an air powered rocket launch( to give people a ref for altitude of rocket.)

anyway setup in the car park about 30m from the large metal stadium to do my compass cal. Did that got a reading of around 1500. Took off before people came out to watch and oh my god it went crazy. Recognized the TBE so switched straight into atti and managed to fight it back into land dodging lamp posts and fences. So happy I've read everyone's advice on what to do. Anyway took it to the far end of the car park and the compass mods were 1200. Did another compass cal and everything was fine. So took off from there for the 2 flights.
Welcome to the forum.
Glad you rescued it and good to hear flights went OK after calibrating away from the stadium!

Your experience is exactly why I never calibrate in the field and my views and suggestions are well documented over this forum as to the reasons why. In your case you could tell it was the stadium and moving away and recalibrating solved it. :)

You also spotted the TBE straight away and switched to Atti which is absolutely the right thing to do.

Welcome to the forum.
Glad you rescued it and good to hear flights went OK after calibrating away from the stadium!

Your experience is exactly why I never calibrate in the field and my views and suggestions are well documented over this forum as to the reasons why. In your case you could tell it was the stadium and moving away and recalibrating solved it. :)

You also spotted the TBE straight away and switched to Atti which is absolutely the right thing to do.
Like I've said in my post so so glad I've been reading reading peoples posts. But the compass cal has thrown me a bit to be honest. I've read people never do it and just rely on the mod values. Others everytime, some do it if they go 7 miles or 100 miles from their last flight etc.. A bit of a grey area.

but I had a pat on the back from my colleague who was there to fly our registered F550 for video of the event and a well deserved beer at the end of the day

.........also keep in mind that when you calibrate on asphalt, you run that same risk as well. It's such a gamble with calibrations. Great save!!!

Reactions: Soflms
what's the reasoning behind the asphalt? You've got to have a degree to keep these things in the air!

I'd love to know why asphalt as well. Concrete has iron rebar but to my knowledge, which is not extensive, asphalt does not have iron rebar or reinforcement.

Reactions: Soflms
Sorry to have to aske stupid question but why is it so bad to calibrate the compass every time you fly at a new location. I was under the impression that is what you were supposed to do?

Also, another silly question, what is "TBE"?

Many thanks,
Houston

Because you run the very high risk of introducing an error caused by something unseen/unknown at that location having influence over the magnetometer (compass). Once your are airborne and free of that influence your compass calibration is erroneous for that geographic locations declination.
I have long been an advocate of NEVER calibrating in an unknown environment and have never had any issues.

See my post here #16 for an explanation. http://www.inspirepilots.com/threads/compass-calibration-toilet-bowl-effect.813/

TBE = Toilet Bowl Effect.

Reactions: turbodronepilot
Because you run the very high risk of introducing an error caused by something unseen/unknown at that location having influence over the magnetometer (compass). Once your are airborne and free of that influence your compass calibration is erroneous for that geographic locations declination.
I have long been an advocate of NEVER calibrating in an unknown environment and have never had any issues.

See my post here #16 for an explanation. http://www.inspirepilots.com/threads/compass-calibration-toilet-bowl-effect.813/

TBE = Toilet Bowl Effect.

I think Il be following this advice now and not calibrating the compass at new locations which I thought was best practice up until today!

what's the reasoning behind the asphalt? You've got to have a degree to keep these things in the air!

Myself have had problems when I calibrated on a street with asphalt. But it was not the asphalt that was the problem, but street cover for sewers in steel.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop