Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Rhode Micro mod to minimize Noise

Reaction score
I did some more experimentation to try to reduce unwanted OSMO noise. Using the Rhode Micro mic, I found that by masking off the side mic screens as shown below (I used electrical tape) and placing the mic forward and down produces the best directional results and least OSMO gimbal and camera fan noise. This makes the Rhode mic VERY directional (forward), to eliminate as much OSMO noise as possible from the source material.
The images attached are audio profiles of clips taken (in image order)
1) with built in mic,
2) with Rhode external mic WITHOUT masking off the side barrel mic screens
3) with Rhode external mic WITH masking off the side barrel mic screens
4) with Rhode external mic WITH masking off the side barrel mic screens AND after running Adobe Audition noise reduction run on the clip.

Very little-to-no audio artifacting at all. VERY happy with this simple Rhode mic modification!

FullSizeRender 39.jpg FullSizeRender 40.jpg Picture1.png Picture2.png Picture3.png Picture4.png

I did some more experimentation to try to reduce unwanted OSMO noise. Using the Rhode Micro mic, I found that by masking off the side mic screens as shown below (I used electrical tape) and placing the mic forward and down produces the best directional results and least OSMO gimbal and camera fan noise. This makes the Rhode mic VERY directional (forward), to eliminate as much OSMO noise as possible from the source material.
The images attached are audio profiles of clips taken (in image order)
1) with built in mic,
2) with Rhode external mic WITHOUT masking off the side barrel mic screens
3) with Rhode external mic WITH masking off the side barrel mic screens
4) with Rhode external mic WITH masking off the side barrel mic screens AND after running Adobe Audition noise reduction run on the clip.

Very little-to-no audio artifacting at all. VERY happy with this simple Rhode mic modification!

View attachment 5522 View attachment 5523 View attachment 5524 View attachment 5525 View attachment 5526 View attachment 5527
I use a fat rubber band

Reactions: damoncooper
Hi, I was directed by a user on the Dji forum since I asked about a similar issue I have with my Rode videomic go. The Rode videomic go has like a thin netting on the side of the mic, I was wondering if using tape word damage that?
Thanks

Hi, I was directed by a user on the Dji forum since I asked about a similar issue I have with my Rode videomic go. The Rode videomic go has like a thin netting on the side of the mic, I was wondering if using tape word damage that?
Thanks

Just use electrical tape as I did. Comes off easily

hmm maybe, thats an high possibility, maybe my best chance of fixing this problem is buying the videomicro : (
Thanks for the help though

Reactions: damoncooper

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DinaRqz379