Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Settings for Gain/Expo/Pitch EXP etc. Do you know what it all means?

Reaction score
Website
www.airflix.dk
Do you know what ALL your Gain &Expo Tuning/Pitch EXP and Throttle settings does? I sure don't. But I would love to know!

Some of them I can't notice a difference, some I can. I numbered all the settings in this one pic. Please respond what a NUMBER does - IF you know.

Please don't make it a discussion of which settings are the best as that is highly subjective.

SUMMARY (03.11.2015):
1-3: How fast the stick inputs are translated into movement on the I1. The slower values the more you need to move the stick before the I1 reacts.
4: How quick the I1 will level( perhaps only in ATTI mode - checking).
5: How quick the I1 will stop in GPS mode (in relation to no. 4).
6: Is the maximum stick input for yawing. Lower endpoint = slower yaw.
7-10: How fast the I1 will react to EXTERNAL forces (wind, air pressure etc.) Not how fast it reacts to stick inputs. Be carefull if changing these as it changes the flight dynamics and can induce undesired oscillation/wobble.
11: Exponential adjustment of the Pitch movement. Higher number = slower response.
12: Exponential adjustment of the Yaw movement. Higher number = slower response.
13: Bezier curve inputs that will give your gimbal movement soft start and soft stop at the beginning and end of your Yaw.
14: Bezier curve inputs that will give your gimbal movement soft start and soft stop at the beginning and end of your Pitch.
15: This effectively turns off the pre movement you get as you input a yaw command and you see the gimbal move first. Turn off for smoother yaw (won't yaw due to wind).
PLEASE NOTE:
Do NOT use settings seen in the photo. Change one setting incrementally at a time and try them out before changing others.
settings.png '

Last edited:
Here's the answers I have gotten so far.

SUMMARY:
1-3: How fast the stick inputs are translated into movement on the I1. The slower values the more you need to move the stick before the I1 reacts.
4: How quick the I1 will level in ATTI mode
5: How quick the I1 wills stop in GPS mode (in relation to no. 4)
7-10: How fast the I1 will react to EXTERNAL forces (wind, air pressure etc.) Not how fast it reacts to stick inputs.

Could somebody clear up what numbers 11-15 does exactly?

Here's the answers I have gotten so far.

SUMMARY:
4: How quick the I1 will level in ATTI mode
5: How quick the I1 wills stop in GPS mode (in relation to no. 4)
7-10: How fast the I1 will react to EXTERNAL forces (wind, air pressure etc.) Not how fast it reacts to stick inputs.

Could somebody clear up what numbers 11-15 does exactly?

Kind of:

1-3 are exponential settings for the throttle, rudder (yaw) and cyclic (left, right & forward and back). Basically, by dialling in an exponential value you are making the center part of travel of that channel non linear. That is to say it will be dumbed down but ONLY around the center 10 or 15% of travel. the rest of the throw of the stick will be progressively more linear as you approach the end of the curve.
As an aside, it is good to have a linear throttle 'curve' (i.e. straight) as a curved response to throttle can feel a little strange.

4. Is attitude gain but not related to atti mode - it is the speed the craft will respond to stick input

5. Yup - the amount of power applied to the reverse emf braking

6. Yup - Although you may still be putting in 100% travel on the stick, the flight controller will not translate it into full throw, thus slower yaw. This also allows for full stick travel to enable CSC. It is a kind of dual throw command on the rudder (yaw) channel.

7-10. Yes, but users should be careful with these settings as it can make a multirotor completely change its flight dynamics and induce undesired oscillation/wobble as the aircraft tries to correct its attitude.

11&12 Are expo inputs for the gimbal pitch and yaw (dumbs down around center wheel travel)

13 & 14 Are bezier curve inputs that will give your gimbal movement soft start and soft stop at the beginning and end of your move

15. This effectively turns off the pre movement you get as you input a yaw command and you see the gimbal move first.

I hope that helps

Kind of:
1-3 are exponential settings for the throttle, rudder (yaw) and cyclic (left, right & forward and back). Basically, by dialling in an exponential value you are making the center part of travel of that channel non linear. That is to say it will be dumbed down but ONLY around the center 10 or 15% of travel. the rest of the throw of the stick will be progressively more linear as you approach the end of the curve.
As an aside, it is good to have a linear throttle 'curve' (i.e. straight) as a curved response to throttle can feel a little strange.

Excellent. Should be in a post it somewhere for new flyers as well as old.

Anyone has the function to switch off the annoying gimbal yaw follow in android version?

Kind of:

4. Is attitude gain but not related to atti mode - it is the speed the craft will respond to stick input

5. Yup - the amount of power applied to the reverse emf braking

6. Yup - Although you may still be putting in 100% travel on the stick, the flight controller will not translate it into full throw, thus slower yaw. This also allows for full stick travel to enable CSC. It is a kind of dual throw command on the rudder (yaw) channel.

7-10. Yes, but users should be careful with these settings as it can make a multirotor completely change its flight dynamics and induce undesired oscillation/wobble as the aircraft tries to correct its attitude.

11&12 Are expo inputs for the gimbal pitch and yaw (dumbs down around center wheel travel)

13 & 14 Are bezier curve inputs that will give your gimbal movement soft start and soft stop at the beginning and end of your move

15. This effectively turns off the pre movement you get as you input a yaw command and you see the gimbal move first.

I hope that helps

Thanks, mate. Incredibly useful.

Could you please clarify a few things:
4. So this for both GPS and ATTI mode?
11./12. Could you explain a bit more what "expo inputs" means?
15. So when "On" in the app there's no pre-movement?

Thanks again!

Do you know what ALL your Gain &Expo Tuning/Pitch EXP and Throttle settings does? I sure don't. But I would love to know!

Some of them I can't notice a difference, some I can. I numbered all the settings in this one pic. Please respond what a NUMBER does - IF you know.

Please don't make it a discussion of which settings are the best as that is highly subjective.

View attachment 4394 '
Am I right in saying that after making a brief appearance the advanced gimbal settings nos. 13, 14 & 15 have disappeared in the latest (2.4.0) version of DJI GO? I can't find them in either IOS or Android.

If they are still there can you please tell me where.

Am I right in saying that after making a brief appearance the advanced gimbal settings nos. 13, 14 & 15 have disappeared in the latest (2.4.0) version of DJI GO? I can't find them in either IOS or Android.

If they are still there can you please tell me where.
The screenshot is from yesterday. Choose the drone icon > gimbal icon (second from bottom) >Advanced Settings

The screenshot is from yesterday. Choose the drone icon > gimbal icon (second from bottom) >Advanced Settings

Yes that's where I thought it should be but all I have there is:

Gimbal Pitch EXP
Gimbal Yaw EXP
Reset Settings

Same on IOS and Adroid

What version of the GO App are you running ?

Latest iOS. 2.4.0
Well this is very strange. I remember seeing these options a while back but they're not there now. I have deleted and reloaded the GO App and hooked up my slave RC to see if that's where they are but damned if I can find them. Under Gimbal / Advanced Settings I just have those two options for Pitch EXP and Yaw EXP. Not that it's critical to have the others but it would be nice and I'm now on a mission.

The only thing I wonder is if they disappeared with the latest RC firmware update. Under 'General Settings' (bottom icon ...) / About - I have the following versions:

App - 2.4.0
Aircraft - 1.4.00.10
RC - 1.4.30
Camera - 1.4.00.10

When you have a moment I'd be grateful if you can see if your's are the same.

Thanks.

Well this is very strange. I remember seeing these options a while back but they're not there now. I have deleted and reloaded the GO App and hooked up my slave RC to see if that's where they are but damned if I can find them. Under Gimbal / Advanced Settings I just have those two options for Pitch EXP and Yaw EXP. Not that it's critical to have the others but it would be nice and I'm now on a mission.

The only thing I wonder is if they disappeared with the latest RC firmware update. Under 'General Settings' (bottom icon ...) / About - I have the following versions:

App - 2.4.0
Aircraft - 1.4.00.10
RC - 1.4.30
Camera - 1.4.00.10

When you have a moment I'd be grateful if you can see if your's are the same.

Thanks.
I have the same...
They are under gimbal icon>Advanced Settings?
Did you connect you camera to the app when checking?

I have the same...
They are under gimbal icon>Advanced Settings?
Did you connect you camera to the app when checking?
Thanks for coming back and yes I did connect to the camera.

Have a look at my screenshots below which show what I have. This a real mystery - I'll throw it open to the rest of the forum and see if anybody has the answer.

IMG_0064.PNG IMG_0065.PNG

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop