Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Should I buy an Inspire 1?

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for advise.
I'm a land surveyor and sometime use a Mavic Pro to take photographs / video of the land being surveyed just for visual referencing, Occasionally the wind is a little too strong for the Mavic & I was wondering if it would be suitable to purchase a second hand Inspire 1.

My query is really about firmware and no fly database updates being available for the Inspire 1. I am happy with the quality of the camera and video quality, I'm just wondering if I purchase on it will go out of firmware / software support and not be usable.

What do you think?
Thanks
Ian

Hi Ian. I own two I1 V2s and have no issues with them. I use LAANC when flying in controlled airspace. I also have a Mavic pro. I will say that the mavic does much better with the wind due to the low profile. Nothing compares to the I2 though, but it won't carry a native thermal sensor

Hi Ian. I own two I1 V2s and have no issues with them. I use LAANC when flying in controlled airspace. I also have a Mavic pro. I will say that the mavic does much better with the wind due to the low profile. Nothing compares to the I2 though, but it won't carry a native thermal sensor
Thanks.... I am only considering the Inspire as I assumed they would cope better with wind than the Mavic Pro, do you not think that's the case?
Cheers
Ian

Good morning I just listed my DJI inspire 1 pro for sale let me know if you are interested
Also back to your question. I bought the Inspire 1 pro and I can tell you it opened a lot more doors for me. Plus I can also hook up thermal sensors and cameras to it as well. Now the question about wind. I have flown the inspire in 35mph winds and had no issues stays still.

Thanks.... I am only considering the Inspire as I assumed they would cope better with wind than the Mavic Pro, do you not think that's the case?
Cheers
Ian
The design of the Inspire 1 airframe allows you to point it's butt into the wind, and be stable as a rock while you rotate the camera instead of having to turn the airframe sideways into the wind... It's my go-to choice when a one time only shoot has to happen ...

Reactions: Lee Cormier
The Inspire 1 is a great aircraft, as mentioned above it is very stable in the wind and gives you the possibility of a thermal option. I believe we may have a used one in stock if you are interested or have anymore questions.
Thanks,
Cody

The inspire is planted in the wind, I've used both and the Mavic is great but no where near as stable in the air as the inspire. Two different machines indeed.
In fairness I will say I always thought the phantom was also a very stable drone in the wind.
You may get longer flight times with the Mavic compared to the inspire as obv far more powerful motors, I get about 15 min per battery with mine and the Mavic was over 20-25, which may help re survey times u need to do.
Others may get longer with inspire as my batteries have been used for a while now.
The inspire is a diff animal and I would think u must look at ur needs, the Mavic is unpack expand arms and off the go. The inspire is half your boot taken up and carry to location etc.

Only my opinion is all, I'll bow to more exp users.

If you are looking for a VERY GOOD INSPIRE I have one for sale with loads of accessories, I am based in the UK and would be very happy to demonstrate my Inspire for you..
For further details (if you are interested) please send me a Private Message..

Reactions: slim.slamma
You will love The Inspire 1. Much better in the wind than the Mavic Pro.

Im thinking of downgrading from an Inspire 2 to a Mavic 2, but this talk of wind resistance may sway me back the other direction...

Im thinking of downgrading from an Inspire 2 to a Mavic 2, but this talk of wind resistance may sway me back the other direction...

The nice thing is you can own both. I have a Mavic 2 Pro. As well as a couple of Inspires. It does extremely well in windy conditions. And to date it has performed flawlessly. I have almost 3k in mine. And if I had went the Enterprise route I would have almost 4k. The only real issue is perception. An I1 or I2 rig is what people expect from a professional. Even though an M2P can do the same and more. 5 batteries over 2 hours flight time. Filters, everything you need. In a case that fits inside a backpack. With room to carry lunch as well. And you know what it takes to move your I2 around.

And likely any wind serious enough to keep you from flying your Mavic. Would likely stop you from flying an Inspire. I use the Polar Pro app for flying conditions. And in wind advisory conditions 15 to 25 mph winds. I have flown the Mavic. At the high end some buffeting. But I have seen it with the Inspire too.

So again have both. You can always sell your I2 later.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lily212