Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Smooth Control of the X5 gimbal is harder

Reaction score
Hi, I had a Inspire 1 for almost a year and a Phantom 3 (I'm pretty sure all setting are default) after all this time is very easy for me to do Parallax sequences very smooth (not sure how you guys call this but basically is move the bird left to right (or vice versa) and at the same time panning (YAW) to a specific target,

But since I upgrade to the X5 is almost impossible archive a smooth one. I feel the controls are too responsive, I tried changing a few setting but anything seen to work, Could anybody please let me know which setting should I play with to fine tune my bird?

Thanks
Andy

Reactions: dopeytree
Having just carried out my first flight with the X5 / Olympus 12mm combo on the Inspire 1 I realise that I need to spend a couple of sessions tuning the controls. The weight and bulk of the new camera creates new dynamics into the flying controls.

Whilst I believe the Inspire 1 can cope with the weight the inertia of the extra load affects the manoeuvrability of the craft.

But, early days yet, the improved picture quality outweighs any performance and battery life issues. The first thing I noticed was how much more immediate the view is due to the narrower field of view, that will take a while to get used to.

Hi, I had a Inspire 1 for almost a year and a Phantom 3 (I'm pretty sure all setting are default) after all this time is very easy for me to do Parallax sequences very smooth (not sure how you guys call this but basically is move the bird left to right (or vice versa) and at the same time panning (YAW) to a specific target,

But since I upgrade to the X5 is almost impossible archive a smooth one. I feel the controls are too responsive, I tried changing a few setting but anything seen to work, Could anybody please let me know which setting should I play with to fine tune my bird?

Thanks
Andy
I went from the P3P to the I1 X5 and I agree, it is definitely less smooth. Also I had to turn the gimbal tilt speed all the way down to 2 to slow down its tilt speed. Another thing that is very annoying is the lag.

I find it difficult to get smooth video with the I1 because of the display lag, most of the time it feels like 300ms - 400ms lag. So when you tell the I1 to turn, the display lags so much that by the time it updates the I1 is off course so then I correct its course but with the lag it over corrects so I have to guess when to let off the controls.

Very annoying to say the least. I'm now wasting a lot of battery time lining up the I1 for the perfect shot and sticking to shooting clips with no turns.

Without the lag the I1 X5 I could get way better aerial footage. Hopefully DJI knows that 300ms lag is unacceptable. I'd rather an SD video feed over the terrible lag.

I went from the P3P to the I1 X5 and I agree, it is definitely less smooth. Also I had to turn the gimbal tilt speed all the way down to 2 to slow down its tilt speed. Another thing that is very annoying is the lag.

I find it difficult to get smooth video with the I1 because of the display lag, most of the time it feels like 300ms - 400ms lag. So when you tell the I1 to turn, the display lags so much that by the time it updates the I1 is off course so then I correct its course but with the lag it over corrects so I have to guess when to let off the controls.

Very annoying to say the least. I'm now wasting a lot of battery time lining up the I1 for the perfect shot and sticking to shooting clips with no turns.

Without the lag the I1 X5 I could get way better aerial footage. Hopefully DJI knows that 300ms lag is unacceptable. I'd rather an SD video feed over the terrible lag.

What tablet are you using? I use an Air2 and there is very little perceptible lag (same on the I1/X3).

Quadpilot beat me to it - you must be running a crappy tablet (or its full of bloat).

Thanks
Andy
Hey Andy,

Check my summary of what the different setting does here:
Settings for Gain/Expo/Pitch EXP etc. Do you know what it all means? | DJI Inspire Forum

Quadpilot beat me to it - you must be running a crappy tablet (or its full of bloat).
I have the NVIDIA SHIELD which was highly recommended in the P3 forums due to it's performance. I did not get this much lag with the P3P, either that or the P3P just reacted slower so it was less noticeable.

I have done everything possible to speed up the tablet; kill Google Play services, disable everything that it would let me disable, disabled WiFi, etc. Nothing helps, the lag is just enough to make it very difficult to record smooth video if anything but straight lines are involved.

I have the NVIDIA SHIELD which was highly recommended in the P3 forums due to it's performance. I did not get this much lag with the P3P, either that or the P3P just reacted slower so it was less noticeable.

I have done everything possible to speed up the tablet; kill Google Play services, disable everything that it would let me disable, disabled WiFi, etc. Nothing helps, the lag is just enough to make it very difficult to record smooth video if anything but straight lines are involved.
Have you tried lowering the framerate (app specific for the Go App) and limiting the CPU to 90%?

Thanks
Andy
I have tried many settings to smooth out the yaw... with no success... if you use 1080x60fps you will get a wider FOV... the yaw control is better.. but.. not as good as the X3....
The X5 image has been zoomed in as well as a narrow'er FOV.. the combination of the 2 make controlling the yaw very difficult ... i am using the DJI 15mm lens for photo and straight video only...the combination of the 2 points i mentioned also makes this lens no good for flying close FPV... on a brighter note the quality is amazing...

I am having the same difficulty with the Inspire 1 and the update of the X5. I am also finding it very difficult to do the smooth parallax type shots you speak of, that I used to find fairly routine with X3. I am curious, has anyone used the Inspire 1 Pro with the new motors to see if that makes a difference?

people calm down and relax. In a week you will learn all things, what I1 is up to)
About Nvidia Shield, sell it and buy iPad Air, or just buy iPad Air, Or sell I1 ;)

Just moved from an I1 to an Ipro and it's quite a bit more difficult to get smooth footage. Not really happy, but I've read the Olympus 12mm lens can help with some of the smoothness and control. Wider FOV makes flying a bit more easy/safe too.

I'm not an inspire 1pro owner yet, so please take this with a grain of salt. My experience comes from "flying" several different cameras mounted on "electronic gimbals" and an original steadycam balanced with weights.

In my experience I have noticed that no matter what gimbal you are using, the smoothness, jerky movements and ease of capturing those pleasing shots is heavily dependent on the cameras field of view.

The X5 camera has a 72 degree fov versus a 94 degree fov for the X3. A 72 degree fov will give a more zoomed in effect which amplifies any jerks or abrupt camera movements when playing back the recorded video.

Could this effect be part of the different feeling of control when you guys are moving from the X3 to the X5?

Could this effect be part of the different feeling of control when you guys are moving from the X3 to the X5?
Most assuredly it's adding to it. The other thing I'm curious about is the "gimbal sway" effect that I've seen. My i1 would stop dead in its tracks when I let off. The iP stops, but the gimbal/camera still has some inertial movement. I have to be much more careful how I stop for usable footage.

EDIT: If anyone is interested (or Googlophobic), the FOV of the Olympus 12mm is 84°.

I'm not an inspire 1pro owner yet, so please take this with a grain of salt. My experience comes from "flying" several different cameras mounted on "electronic gimbals" and an original steadycam balanced with weights.

In my experience I have noticed that no matter what gimbal you are using, the smoothness, jerky movements and ease of capturing those pleasing shots is heavily dependent on the cameras field of view.

The X5 camera has a 72 degree fov versus a 94 degree fov for the X3. A 72 degree fov will give a more zoomed in effect which amplifies any jerks or abrupt camera movements when playing back the recorded video.

In a word ..YES ..that is the reason everyone is having trouble with video and the 15mm... totally different FOV... the 12mm has a much better FOV for smoother video control...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters