Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Smooth Shots: Litchi vs. Autopilot vs. ???

On behalf of the guy from NJ doing the videos, I'm sorry you find them and Autopilot confusing. ;)

It's a tough balance. Autopilot rocks BECAUSE it does many things. I've used every product out there - I own all of them. Autopilot definitely takes longer to get running with - there's simply more to it. When I want to to just quickly fly and get a shot, I sometimes just use the DJI GO app. Options are good.

To learn Autopilot, I recommend watching the videos, reading Flight School, and TRYING the software. As I did the videos, I always ended up with questions as I was scripting and planning out the video and the shoot. It's tough to say that you hate the software when you say you haven't tried it yet. In my experience, things start to fit together better as you use the various modes.

As far as the flow of the videos, almost all of the feedback I get on them is positive. The one suggestion I get is to slow down or do thing at a slower pace. Bluntly, each video has got longer as the newer features have come out and are increasingly complex (e.g. Waypoints). I've got a new video done on Airspace that will probably make your head explode.

If I did things step by step by step, the videos would be 5 hours long.

And honestly, can you point me to a single video for almost any third party product out there that walks someone through their software with voice over? Even DJI doesn't have it - relies on videos of varying quality from people out there.

I'm open to suggestions - I want the videos to help people use the software and like it as much as I do.

But, my #1 suggestion is - get out and try it.

Well, on the chance that you are or know this infamous guy from NJ let me offer some suggestions...

1. Go slower and start at the beginning.

2. Show every step in getting the app up and running and setting up the flight mode.

3. Remind people of the emergency actions to take (ie, switching back to P-GPS.

So, when demonstrating how to do a waypoint mission start at the beginning, build the mission, fly the mission, then explain how some of the options might have altered the mission. Then, demonstrate, from beginning to end, how some of those options are setup and then fly the mission with those options and then contrast with the other mission.

It seems to me that there's many different options for waypoint missions alone and that covering the most common and useful ones, from beginning to end, would be helpful. So, do a video on just "patrol" and another on just "mark" and a third on just "joystick". When you explain how waypoint missions work and then throw in references to the myriad of other options you only confuse people -- one thing at a freaking time!

So, for waypoint missions please break it up into individual missions with only one option used. Do other videos with different options. When you have all these videos then and only then does it make sense to summarize the various options and when you do you can point to the individual missions videos for reference. This is more work, for sure, but the programmers spent a lot of time providing all these options it's a shame the marketing side doesn't provide that same level of detail.

Brian

Last edited:
I am the infamous guy.. :)

The challenge I have with what you're discussing is that I'm trying to demonstrate the power of the software - as well as how to do things. The goal is to not just show to do a simple mission, but differentiate it from the other options that are out there.

I also tend to assume that people have watched the earlier videos so I'm not re-going over stuff that has been covered before. I do this in the interests of keeping the videos tighter and more focused on the new topics. That's why I don't always "start the very beginning"..

As it is, the Waypoint videos are 30 minutes long - and I think they do what we intended for them to do - allbeit at my NJ speed :) . If I simply did a video on the most basic of things - it would have made my life easier, but it wouldn't have covered the power of the software. Creating a separate video for every variation, detail, etc. would result in hours and hours and hours of videos - with a limited audience.

The idea of a "simple waypoint mission" video is a possibility - maybe not even worrying about focusing the camera, etc. etc. Let me give it some thought once we get the Airspace video out.

I am the infamous guy.. :)

As a new user, I found your videos extremely helpful. After watching the video, the flight school manual made more sense.

Now for the constructive criticism: When I first looked at your app, I had the same feeling that I had when I went from Windows to a Mac computer for the first time. I was a little excited, but the screen looked foreign to me and I had a little trouble "finding stuff" at first. When you would demonstrate how to navigate the app on your videos you would scoot around pretty quickly. It was obvious that your were used to looking at the screens. (Now I know how my dad feels when I am trying to show him how to skype. :) ) I couldn't always see what you were clicking on and would have to hit the pause and backup buttons.

I watched all the videos, then watched FOCUS again and then went out a flew a bunch of FOCUS missions. It shocked me at first when I would engage and the bird would jump from where I was hovering and then the gimbal would do a dance although I would already have it pointing in the general direction of the mission.:confused:
After getting the feel for the GUI using FOCUS, I then watched the ORBIT video and then went out a flew a bunch of ORBIT missions, etc.

I like that you hit the high points in the video and then there are more details to be found in flight school. I prefer the short videos as they hold my attention better. I don't think you are talking too fast and that says a lot! We Mississippians tend to listen really slow! :D

Well, on the chance that you are or know this infamous guy from NJ let me offer some suggestions...

1. Go slower and start at the beginning.

2. Show every step in getting the app up and running and setting up the flight mode.

Raptor and Others:

While I think that Autopilot is the most powerful solution out there, I also think that it’s very easy to use - if you’re willing to take some time to fly with it...

There has been some feedback from people that feel that Autopilot is confusing, but I think this comes from people trying to start with the most complex features - or jump to the last videos I created without watching the earlier ones.

I thought I’d create a VERY quick video to demonstrate some basic use cases - step by step. This first one simply shows how to use the Focus Mode with the Inspire One. Two buttons and bang - amazing footage.

I'm considering doing similar ones for Orbit, Waypoints, etc - again, very simple stuff. I just want people to see how easy it is to use the software if you just want basic things. The advanced functionality is there for you if you want it..

Let me know what you think.

Autopilot with Focus Mode for Inspire One - Simple Walkthrough

Agreed. I've figured out a fair bit from watching the videos in order - but I find that I'm still fumbling a bit when I get to the field. 123 videos like this give you exactly the steps so that you can perform a function in the simplest manner.

Reactions: egoldy
Has anyone tried FPV Camera? I use it all the time and it is simple to use and very good. Works similar to Litchi in that it is an easier interface.
I also have AP but I find it a piece of work compared to FPV Camera and Litchi.

I would suggest trying FPV camera. You might like it!

Has anyone tried FPV Camera? I use it all the time and it is simple to use and very good. Works similar to Litchi in that it is an easier interface.
I also have AP but I find it a piece of work compared to FPV Camera and Litchi.

I would suggest trying FPV camera. You might like it!

I have FPV Camera as well as Litchi (as well as a few Android only options).

For pure power, I think Autopilot is deepest with functionality. It's very usable with a little education at a "basic" level and then every advanced feature just builds on top of what you've done in the past (with previous modes, functions, etc.)..

Litchi and FPV Camera have UIs that look more like DJI's, so the transition can be quick. However, as I'm trying to show in these quick videos, Autopilot is just as easy if you're willing to adjust your thinking a little bit and fly with it.

Options are a good thing!

Here's #2 in the Autopilot 123 Series..

A quick video showing how easy it is to do an Orbit with the camera focused on the operator using Autopilot for both the Phantom 3 and the Inspire One.

Autopilot Quick Tutorial On Orbit For P3 / Inspire One:

How is FPV camera for smoothness vs others?

For basic free flying and focus, I found FPV camera to work relatively well. Even with multiple waypoints, I liked the "wizard" approach to creating focus points. I tried running a basic mission with 4-5 waypoints focused on 2-3 things (immediate transition to next focus point at each waypoint) and the results between FPV Camera and Autopilot were negligible.

The difference that Autopilot brings are advanced ways to control the camera mid flight, flexibility on the paths of the waypoint mission, interpolation between focus points, and many other things. Again, I like FPV Camera - I just find that AP is a good base to build on that you can expand to as your requirements grow.

The more I fly with autopilot, the more comfortable I am with the screens. It's pretty easy actually. It just looks different than the DJI GO app. You can set it up to see as much detail about your flight as you want. For instance, you can set it up to give an amazing amount of information on flight telemetry, or none at all....just depends on your preference. You can put a lot of time into pre-flight planning or "plan on the fly". We have gentle rolling hills with tall pine trees here in south Mississippi. I LIKE that Autopilot uses the barometer on my ipad air 2 to keep the bird at a set height from me. So when I go up a hill in Follow mode, my Inspire will go up too and not smack into the ground or trees

Reactions: egoldy
I have a question about Litchi and "focus" mode with an Inspire.

When you are in focus mode, does the drone continue to fly like normal and just the gimbal pitch and yaw move? Or does the whole bird yaw as it does with the Phantom 3?

Here's #2 in the Autopilot 123 Series..

A quick video showing how easy it is to do an Orbit with the camera focused on the operator using Autopilot for both the Phantom 3 and the Inspire One.

Autopilot Quick Tutorial On Orbit For P3 / Inspire One:

I really appreciate the time and trouble it takes to make this videos! I am not even close to being good enough (IMHO) to take on more apps yet but I love learning and these videos inspire me to get there! Again thanks for taking the time to make them.

Focus mode is one of my favourites in AP!

Love the app.

But I was (and still am) disappointed when AP switched over to Google maps.
For my area (Netherlands, EU) the Google maps are over 10 years old. Apple and Bing maps are only a few years old. Would be very nice to have the option to choose for the best map for your area. Since pre planning an AP flight is heavily based on the maps.

Reactions: MrLaw10
Give FPV camera a try. You will be pleasantly surprised. It's easy to set up and can do all the things AP can do but better!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan