Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Software to trim h264 files

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to chop down h264 footage without throwing it at premier? I just literally want to shorten some clips for delivery as i had duff takes on the same recording.

Thanks
Mick

Try Kyno - you can trim, rewrap, transcode all without touching Premiere. It's primarily for Mac, but if you're using a PC, then I think there's a beta version available if you contact them.

You can browse the files, and simply set in-out points with the I-O keys on various clips then batch convert them using the IO points (need to remember to select Trimming to in-out on the Convert pop-up).

Some info on the trim in their video -> Conversions : Lesspain Software Support

HTH

Last edited:
Reactions: giumick
Try Kyno - you can trim, rewrap, transcode all without touching Premiere. It's primarily for Mac, but if you're using a PC, then I think there's a beta version available if you contact them.

You can browse the files, and simply set in-out points with the I-O keys on various clips then batch convert them using the IO points (need to remember to select Trimming to in-out on the Convert pop-up).

Some info on the trim in their video -> Conversions : Lesspain Software Support

HTH

Thanks it seems good but the beta trial ended last month so it we be a cost based now sadly

Im going to end up doing this in premier arent i haha When you look for easy solutions it always ends up harder than you thought to sort haha

Would i loose any quality if i threw in all the clips, trimmed them and sent out as one timeline at 60mbps (same as input)? I have never needed to do it before.

Cheers
Mick

Hmmm, any chance they can handle an higher Q/less lossy intermediate codec - otherwise it'll be at least third generation of compression by the time they've exported it too...

I only have the h264 to deliver to them pal from the x5, well i have the raw but thats a last last resort due to workflow time. I just wish there was a easy way to shorten the clips with no loss of quality. Im not keeping record running in future haha

VirtualDub is very small, can run without installation and the most important it can COPY the stream instead of reencoding it. The default app will need additional plugins to enable the reading of almost all types of media containers mp4, mov, mkv... this is also free as well there are some post processing effects for denoise, color correct, grain and etc. I'm using it mainly for quick cut to pieces with the copy stream option.

VirtualDub is very small, can run without installation and the most important it can COPY the stream instead of reencoding it. The default app will need additional plugins to enable the reading of almost all types of media containers mp4, mov, mkv... this is also free as well there are some post processing effects for denoise, color correct, grain and etc. I'm using it mainly for quick cut to pieces with the copy stream option.

I want to apologise for the confusion but vDub cannot copy the h264 stream, it can reencode it and I forgot that we are actually reencoding in lower bit rate helping to reduce the file size for easy sharing and online previewing.

AviDemux is the app that can copy h264 stream.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla