Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Spotlight Pro Discussion

Reaction score
Website
www.action4image.com ; http
Any interest in a discussion thread on using Spotlight Pro? I have used it 10 or 12 times (in quick mode) with the 45 mm and it works perfectly sometimes and then for no apparent reason it loses lock on the subject or drifts to one side. I have a project coming up where I need to shoot dancers and I am planning to use the 45mm. Anyone found out what makes the subject drift to one side? I can touch and hold the screen to drag the subject back in the picture but I am hoping I can find a better solution. Do bright colors help with the tracking? I notice in the DJI demos the subjects are usually wearing bright colors.

Reactions: Cruncher
The only problem I have with Spotlight Pro is reentering the gimbal. Spotlight is huge in that you don't need a slave controller to control the gimbal.
You mean when you are tracking and the subject moves to the side right? The manual doesn't say much about Spotlight Pro but at the top of page 24 "You can drag on a subject in the DJI Go 4 app or move the gimbal control sticks to change the subject's position in the shot." I have used the finger drag and it works, but I don't have a clue about using the gimbal control sticks to change the subject position. The only thing I can get the sticks to control is aircraft movement during tracking - and the subject position does not change. (again quick mode)

I found i had better results in composition mode. As once the object enters the detection area it will continue to react quicker should the "object" move out of the centre than in quick mode. In quick mode its okay if the object is a fixed location like a building and a fly by works perfect but a moving target is better in composition. I think the algorithm is different in the logic being used.

I found i had better results in composition mode. As once the object enters the detection area it will continue to react quicker should the "object" move out of the centre than in quick mode. In quick mode its okay if the object is a fixed location like a building and a fly by works perfect but a moving target is better in composition. I think the algorithm is different in the logic being used.
I too have better and more stable results in the comp mode.

Presumably the sticks are for dual operator use :D

You can use the gimbal wheel and c1+wheel to offset the green box if you need to, even when moving. Not the finest of control (drag on screen is easier!), but it can help recentre subjects if needed ;)

I've found the 45 looses lock if the angular rotation becomes too great i.e. I've flown too close to the subject for the speed I'm flying at, and as a result it gets a large change in size, shape and angle and loses lock.

Other than that, I've had some pretty impressive results on static objects - it can hang on to the lock point for quite some distance and does well with the subject shrinking in size to nearly nothing. It also does incredibly well at retaining point lock on static subjects when the subject becomes obscured by a foreground object.

Other times I've had it change subject lock from one vehicle to another as they've crossed paths :(

Last edited:
Reactions: deltalimatango
I've found the 45 loses lock if the angular rotation becomes too great i.e. I've flown too close to the subject for the speed I'm flying at, and as a result it gets a large change in size, shape and angle and loses lock.

Other than that, I've had some pretty impressive results on static objects - it can hang on to the lock point for quite some distance and does well with the subject shrinking in size to nearly nothing. It also does incredibly well at retaining point lock on static subjects when the subject becomes obscured by a foreground object.

Other times I've had it change subject lock from one vehicle to another as they've crossed paths :(

I've used the 45mm while videoing / circling an static object, like an oil rig. Very stable. But, following a moving object, like cyclists, is a little harder to do. A 15 mm lens does a better job following moving objects. Still, the 45 mm is worth its weight in gold.

I've used the 45mm while videoing / circling an static object, like an oil rig. Very stable. But, following a moving object, like cyclists, is a little harder to do. A 15 mm lens does a better job following moving objects. Still, the 45 mm is worth its weight in gold.

Your using the wrong function to track a moving object like a cyclist try using active track.
In my simple understanding SpotLight Pro is for objects that remain static and the I2 does the moving. With active track the object will move and the I2 will follow (distance determinate by R/C)

Reactions: NickU
Your using the wrong function to track a moving object like a cyclist try using active track.
In my simple understanding SpotLight Pro is for objects that remain static and the I2 does the moving. With active track the object will move and the I2 will follow (distance determinate by R/C)

I haven't experimented with Spotlight yet but this is on the DJI site, "Spotlight Pro is available in all Intelligent Flight Modes including ActiveTrack, TapFly, Waypoint and Point of Interest".

Excellent then a mix of both active track and Spotlight Pro should resolve current request. I will give it a try later today (if it ever stops raining)

Presumably the sticks are for dual operator use :D

You can use the gimbal wheel and c1+wheel to offset the green box if you need to, even when moving. Not the finest of control (drag on screen is easier!), but it can help recentre subjects if needed ;)
This sounds useful, definitely going to try the gimbal wheel combo next. I like not having to take my finger off the sticks. The gimbal wheel seems to work in composition mode and not so much in quick mode. Thanks!!

Yup, Spotlight Pro is just awesome on static objects. Used it again yesterday while videoing a fracking operation. I'm going to work on the active tracking function today and get it all figured out. Thanks for the feedback!!

Reactions: FlyaDrone
Can someone explain why you would need spotlight pro and active track at the same time? When I use active track the gimbal already keeps the subject in view (as best as possible).....

In Active Track when you select the subject the algorithm it will recognize its a human, bike, car etc. and doesn't get so confused when the subject crosses other types of objects. It also behaves by following you with the camera facing forward at a set distance and will move sideways if you walk towards it etc. Its like the I2 is on a piece of string.

In Spotlight Pro it will only focuses on a "green box" and has no discrimination for selecting the subject mater and in most cases expects the "subject" to be stationary and will rotate the gimbal to achieve this. So you have to fly the I2 to achieve what you want other wise it will simply hover.

So if you add both of these together. The active track uses its subject algorithm to track a defined item. The SpotLIght Pro uses its gimbal control to maintain the camera on subject.

You fly the I2 where you want it to go. Spotlight Pro controls the camera gimbal. Active pro provide the detection algorithm.

So in an example of you wanting to track some dancers. You can select them as "human" using active track mode and then via spotlight pro select the same subject as a green box then fly the camera in your desired pattern to get the shots your looking for... You will get the dancers always in the centre of the frame but you will also have a changing view point as you move the sticks.

In Active Track when you select the subject the algorithm it will recognize its a human, bike, car etc. and doesn't get so confused when the subject crosses other types of objects. It also behaves by following you with the camera facing forward at a set distance and will move sideways if you walk towards it etc. Its like the I2 is on a piece of string.

In Spotlight Pro it will only focuses on a "green box" and has no discrimination for selecting the subject mater and in most cases expects the "subject" to be stationary and will rotate the gimbal to achieve this. So you have to fly the I2 to achieve what you want other wise it will simply hover.

So if you add both of these together. The active track uses its subject algorithm to track a defined item. The SpotLIght Pro uses its gimbal control to maintain the camera on subject.

You fly the I2 where you want it to go. Spotlight Pro controls the camera gimbal. Active pro provide the detection algorithm.

So in an example of you wanting to track some dancers. You can select them as "human" using active track mode and then via spotlight pro select the same subject as a green box then fly the camera in your desired pattern to get the shots your looking for... You will get the dancers always in the centre of the frame but you will also have a changing view point as you move the sticks.
But in active track it seems like it is also controlling the gimbal to keep the subject in center frame too...this is where I am confused with the redundancy of adding spotlight.

Spotlight Pro will not follow an object. Spotlight Pro will lock on to an object and control the camera gimbal as you fly regardless of camera orientation. Active Track will follow but the camera will always face the object.

So a simple test for you. Get someone to stand as a dancer locate with Active track, then turn on Spotlight Pro and locate using the green box and then get them to move around in a random fashion but make sure its moving over +/- 10 meter area.

Now fly the I2 around so the background is changing and distance from I2 to the subject is changing

You will see how the two work so well together its like a super dolly but flying in the air.

Reactions: Feet Up

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pl500examdumps