Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Systemic I2 failure when DNG/Prores installed

Reaction score
Website
www.pixelmagicfx.com
To All Inspire 2 owners who have the Prores / DNG codec installed.
Every I2 with this codec installed that DJI sells and has ever sold will fail when you take hundreds of photos (say for photogrammetry).
I have been trying to get DJI to fix this since I have owned my inspire 2.
The issue is not just the green images, but more important, the camera dramatically slows its rate of taking pictures, from 1 pic every 2 seconds to 1 pic every 10-12 seconds. This makes the drone unusable for photogrammetry. The images will also be green as shown in other threads on this forum.
DJI is ignoring this issue.
We need every I2 owner to make a test and show the failure to DJI, maybe then they will fix the issue.
An I2 without the DNG/Prores codec will not fail, only with I2 with codecs installed will fail.
In order to make this issue appear, set GO4 or GSPro or DroneDeploy or equivalent software to shoot a thousand plus photos, say for photogrammetry. The camera will fail using any of the above software. When flying, the first battery set works fine and shoots about 300+ pictures. When I land and swap batteries and continue flight, the failure will occur somewhere after this time.
You will be able to identify the failure by paying attention to the rate at which the camera takes pictures. When all is good, you will get a picture every 2 seconds, and if you have the audio shutter enabled, you will hear the pic being taken. When the the failure occurs, this will slow to 10+ seconds per frame, you will hear the rate of pics has slowed. Also if you look at the ring around the white photo button on the screen, this ring will rotate for for 10+ seconds rather than about 1 second when normal.
Please reach out to me and I will give you more details.
We need every I2 owner to complain to DJI.
I have been trying to get DJI to address this since August of 2020.

A simple fix for DJI would be for them to update the Assistant 2 software to allow for activation and deactivation of the Codecs. DJI has done this remotely for me during my testing, and when the codec was deactivated, the problem was instantly fixed. I could shoot thousands of pictures without fail. I then returned my drone to them, they sent me a brand new drone with the codec installed and it failed straight away.

DJI has replaced my drone now 3 times, I send the drone back to them, they say they cannot duplicate it, they send me a brand new drone, it fails when I test it and they ask me to send it back again.
DJI is not putting the effort into this issue and needs to fix if for all of us I2 owners.

Please put pressure on DJI.

Thanks, Ray

Every I2 with this codec installed that DJI sells and has ever sold will fail when you take hundreds of photos (say for photogrammetry).
The issue is not just the green images, but more important, the camera dramatically slows its rate of taking pictures, from 1 pic every 2 seconds to 1 pic every 10-12 seconds. This makes the drone unusable for photogrammetry. The images will also be green as shown in other threads on this forum.
We need every I2 owner to make a test and show the failure to DJI, maybe then they will fix the issue.
An I2 without the DNG/Prores codec will not fail, only with I2 with codecs installed will fail.
In order to make this issue appear, set GO4 or GSPro or DroneDeploy or equivalent software to shoot a thousand plus photos, say for photogrammetry. The camera will fail using any of the above software. When flying, the first battery set works fine and shoots about 300+ pictures. When I land and swap batteries and continue flight, the failure will occur somewhere after this time.
You will be able to identify the failure by paying attention to the rate at which the camera takes pictures. When all is good, you will get a picture every 2 seconds, and if you have the audio shutter enabled, you will hear the pic being taken. When the the failure occurs, this will slow to 10+ seconds per frame, you will hear the rate of pics has slowed. Also if you look at the ring around the white photo button on the screen, this ring will rotate for for 10+ seconds rather than about 1 second when normal.

A simple fix for DJI would be for them to update the Assistant 2 software to allow for activation and deactivation of the Codecs. DJI has done this remotely for me during my testing, and when the codec was deactivated, the problem was instantly fixed. I could shoot thousands of pictures without fail. I then returned my drone to them, they sent me a brand new drone with the codec installed and it failed straight away.

DJI has replaced my drone now 3 times, I send the drone back to them, they say they cannot duplicate it, they send me a brand new drone, it fails when I test it and they ask me to send it back again.
DJI is not putting the effort into this issue and needs to fix if for all of us I2 owners.

Thanks, Ray
Sorry I should have added this is with an X7 camera attached to the Inspire 2.

Thanks, Ray
I have experienced this issue with my I2 and X7 (prores/DNG) while taking RAW stills full frame and writing to the SD card. I assumed the slow down and random green images were an issue with the SD card. I will do more testing. This would randomly occur after shooting as few as 30 frames.

I have experienced this issue with my I2 and X7 (prores/DNG) while taking RAW stills full frame and writing to the SD card. I assumed the slow down and random green images were an issue with the SD card. I will do more testing. This would randomly occur after shooting as few as 30 frames.
I have tried several different SD cards, purchased the fastest SD cards possible, no difference. The proof was when DJI deactivated the codecs on my I2, then everything worked perfectly, all with my same hardware.

I did the same. Tried different cards, faster cards... no difference. I had never considered it was associated with the prores/dng upgrade which was done quite a while after purchasing the I2 and X7 in late 2017. This is a random issue with my I2/X7 but always with manual camera controls (no automated mapping photography). I will investigate deactivating prores/dng. If you have time to explain, I would appreciate knowing how you initiated that with DJI.

I did the same. Tried different cards, faster cards... no difference. I had never considered it was associated with the prores/dng upgrade which was done quite a while after purchasing the I2 and X7 in late 2017. This is a random issue with my I2/X7 but always with manual camera controls (no automated mapping photography). I will investigate deactivating prores/dng. If you have time to explain, I would appreciate knowing how you initiated that with DJI.
After they replaced my I2, I ran into someone who had An I2 without activation, his worked perfectly, no issues. So over many emails, first DJI saying they could not deactivate the installation, but finally they remotely deactivated the license key and my I2 worked perfectly for photos. DJI then claimed they nor I could reactivate the license (I do not believe them), so I had to send the drone back to them. I now have another brand new I2. They also claimed they could not duplicate what I told them.
So DJI has the ability to remotely deactivate, it took some pushing on my end. But then to have it re-activated I sent them the drone.

After they replaced my I2, I ran into someone who had An I2 without activation, his worked perfectly, no issues. So over many emails, first DJI saying they could not deactivate the installation, but finally they remotely deactivated the license key and my I2 worked perfectly for photos. DJI then claimed they nor I could reactivate the license (I do not believe them), so I had to send the drone back to them. I now have another brand new I2. They also claimed they could not duplicate what I told them.
So DJI has the ability to remotely deactivate, it took some pushing on my end. But then to have it re-activated I sent them the drone.
Messing with license activation/de-activation - remotely or not - is just a PITA. BTDT. Yes, DJI is capable to do it remotely, but they'll use every excuse not to. However, X7 is certainly not the best camera for this kind of work. It may be interesting to see if X5S or - even better - X4 camera setup will render the same annoyance.

That said, If I will have to pursue mapping/photogrammetry jobs on a regular basis I would rather invest in P4 RTK.

Messing with license activation/de-activation - remotely or not - is just a PITA. BTDT. Yes, DJI is capable to do it remotely, but they'll use every excuse not to. However, X7 is certainly not the best camera for this kind of work. It may be interesting to see if X5S or - even better - X4 camera setup will render the same annoyance.

That said, If I will have to pursue mapping/photogrammetry jobs on a regular basis I would rather invest in P4 RTK.
Ive used an X4 and it’s awesome

I have tested with an X5S and it did not fail. Understood about your comments, however this is about DJI making what they have sold to me and thousands of others work correctly so I can use the drone as intended

I have tested with an X5S and it did not fail. Understood about your comments, however this is about DJI making what they have sold to me and thousands of others work correctly so I can use the drone as intended
This is exactly where I sense an unexpected shortcoming of X7 system ... The camera was designed mainly for filming, eventually for occasional stills. Taking a sequence of a thousand stills at 2 sec intervals may be the load just too heavy to handle, either hardware or firmware wise. I'm speculating, of course ...

This is exactly where I sense an unexpected shortcoming of X7 system ... The camera was designed mainly for filming, eventually for occasional stills. Taking a sequence of a thousand stills at 2 sec intervals may be the load just too heavy to handle, either hardware or firmware wise. I'm speculating, of course ...
However, that same load works just fine when the codec is not installed, so this is a software issue induced when the codec is installed. If DJI would simply allow for activate / deactivate within Assistant 2, this problem would go away. Then all the money I have and others have paid them for a drone that says it can shoot both high end video and stills would be justified. Otherwise we have all paid for something that does not work correctly or as advertised by DJI. DJI does not say you cannot shoot stills when you install the codecs.
Anyway, this is not aimed at you, but rather at DJI. DJI is ignoring the issue and I am hoping lots of users will start to complain and increase the pressure on DJI.

However, that same load works just fine when the codec is not installed, so this is a software issue induced when the codec is installed. If DJI would simply allow for activate / deactivate within Assistant 2, this problem would go away. Then all the money I have and others have paid them for a drone that says it can shoot both high end video and stills would be justified. Otherwise we have all paid for something that does not work correctly or as advertised by DJI. DJI does not say you cannot shoot stills when you install the codecs.
Anyway, this is not aimed at you, but rather at DJI. DJI is ignoring the issue and I am hoping lots of users will start to complain and increase the pressure on DJI.
And thanks for your questions. The more people aware of this the better, DJI needs to resolve this for I2 owners with codecs installed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry