Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Taking the plunge...

Reaction score
Hi all
My name is Clay Lonie.. I’m a film editor by trade. I’m looking to take on drone filming for film and television. Very nervous though.
I’m based in Plymouth, Devon. I looking for someone to help me with my flying technique.
And then I hope to do the same for someone else.
All the best

Clay Lonie Jr

Hi all
My name is Clay Lonie.. I’m a film editor by trade. I’m looking to take on drone filming for film and television. Very nervous though.
I’m based in Plymouth, Devon. I looking for someone to help me with my flying technique.
And then I hope to do the same for someone else.
All the best

Clay Lonie Jr

My friend... I have done a bit of shooting for the film industry. If you've seen Longmire, Graves or the new series Tremors, chances are you've seen my work. I have also done a bevy of documentaries. That said...

The problem with drones is that they are WAAAAAAAAY over-sold as "plug-n-play." 2 of my best gigs resulted from "Best Buy" camera operators who lost an entire day's footage in a drone crash (fortunately the nature of the remote locations insured nobody was hurt). My post-mortems always lead back to user error.

Regardless of what you've heard, drones are far from plug-n-play. You would do better to hire someone who is dedicated to the craft of aerial photography. The skill set required to be a good aerial photographer is right down the middle between understanding cinematography, and having the skills acquired from experienced pilots who live and breathe the world of Radio Control operations. Think of a typical drone day as a 30-link chain, any one of which, broken, will render the footage useless. I could list a half-dozen "gotchas" that would bite you on location, even after you have practiced and read through all documentation and trolled every forum. I don't have to tell you that in the film game "time is money." And NOBODY (especially the DP), wants to wait around while you address firmware issues or scramble for an Internet connection so you can take some kind of DJI safety test.

A good analogy might be buying an insert truck, and then sitting it in a storage shed until you need it, just to discover on-set that you forgot to grease the boom arm or check all the bolts for the camera. There's a reason you RENT insert trucks. For the same reasons, it's far more cost-effective to hire experienced cinematography drone pilots.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Thanks, wise words... buying a drone does not make you a pilot like owning an Avid does not make you an editor. But as an editor who meets someone new to the business, I also try and offer up my years experience and encourage them the best I can.

Thanks, wise words... buying a drone does not make you a pilot like owning an Avid does not make you an editor. But as an editor who meets someone new to the business, I also try and offer up my years experience and encourage them the best I can.

Copy that. To be clear, I wasn't trying to discourage you. I'm just saying that you should be prepared to spend as much time on your drone as you do your video farm. Editing is a marriage of the right software/hardware. The drone is no different. And while they both have basic functions that you could teach someone in a day, they also both have a lot going on under that hood that takes YEARS to gain proficiency at.

I've been flying RC since the '80s and quadcopters since the DraganFly™ (2005?). While I can't say I've never crashed, I've never LOST a drone. And only two of my crashes have been catastrophic - both within a month of each other and were both due to prop failure. I take blame, because I allowed myself to be duped by an imitation prop that seemed OEM to me. It almost takes a microscope to tell the difference between OEM and imitation.

Look at these photos. One of these props cost me 2 drones and therefore 2 days work. Can you spot the fake? I have been using aftermarket props my entire life without issue...until this month. Lot's of guys in this forum have pushed aftermarket carbon fiber props. One doesn't know a product is going to fail until they're flying for 4 hours and the failure happens. There's literally no way to flush out that kind of failure other than to benefit from others' experience, or just spend hours flying.

Fortunately, these failures did NOT happen on a film set. Thank the universe for small miracles.

"Fake stuff" is just ONE of MANY hurdles to overcome in the professional drone world. Vendors usurp the DJI trademarks. And that's just one of many facets of drone cinematography.

DSC01715.JPG DSC01716.JPG

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide