Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

This seems to be getting worse

Are we sure this isn’t special effects? That plane wold be going 100+ mph.

Even if fake I think it’s irresponsible. One fake stupid act can spawn real ones
Looks real. Some racer drones go well over 100 mph.

I doubt it is real. Take a look at the video. The drone is pretty high. Look at the streets below and try to imagine being able to even see a small drone on the street. The reason I say that is because from street level, with depth perception, it would be very hard to try and put the drone in the position it was. It looks like he was about 1,000+ feet in the air and maybe 75’ above the jet. And even with FPV, he would have had a hard time seeing and adjustion his height to within 75’ with a closure rate of 140 knots.

Yes he was stupid, but if they afraid of a drone you need to see what they do as far as testing during FAA certification like firing frozen Geese, Chicken's and Turkey's into many areas. I personally saw a large turbine take a frozen flock of Geese directly into a turbine and it ran for hours afterwards, restarted etc. They lock down the laws too much it is going to hurt stuff like inspections, taxi and delivery drones. Also a p4(maybe 3) slammed the rotors of a bird recently and the damage was minimal, rotors come off easily.

Testing has been done in the UK with small drones against aircraft canopies by the CAA and BALPA, it’s quite different to compare Geese/ birds made of flesh and bone to drones made of plastic, metal and lipo batteries

As far as far as Im concerned, in this case the drone would potentially qualify as a weapon. So why not introduce a system, where you would need a license to purchase one (not just to operate one), similar to the system that is used to purchase guns.
Yes it would take some time to eliminate out all the cowboys, but the drones will eventually crash, break or else.
However, from that point in time, there would be strong motion that only responsible pilots get to fly.
Please hear me here, the privilege to fly should only be reserved to pilots, not general public.
As harsh as it sounds, No Licence - No drone. (toy or not, sorry kids to ruin all the fun for you)

As far as far as Im concerned, in this case the drone would potentially qualify as a weapon. So why not introduce a system, where you would need a license to purchase one (not just to operate one), similar to the system that is used to purchase guns.
Yes it would take some time to eliminate out all the cowboys, but the drones will eventually crash, break or else.
However, from that point in time, there would be strong motion that only responsible pilots get to fly.
Please hear me here, the privilege to fly should only be reserved to pilots, not general public.
As harsh as it sounds, No Licence - No drone. (toy or not, sorry kids to ruin all the fun for you)

There is just no way I could agree with that. While I understand your sentiment, this could be a lethal blow to the industry. It would dramatically raise prices, hinder the ability to enjoy the hobby, and cause the need for an oversight agency. Wow. We don't need that. Not at all.

Pick any subject, any hobby, any activity. There will always be "cowboys" regardless of any rules that are put in place. Nothing will ever stop that. Legislation doesn't stop criminals from breaking the law, they don't care. New laws only hurt and restrict those that follow them.

I don't want to pay, either with my dollars or with my loss of freedoms for those who can't follow some rules and common sense.

Reactions: slim.slamma
Paul, the uk testing is starting to be widely discredited and viewed as a stitch up job. To put it politely, they have been somewhat short on full disclosure and scientific rigour. The FAA has published results of some testing and modelling performed after the UK one ... and is of a far higher standard and with far less bias in their results.

Ithacapool, it's coming. Compulsory registration of drone users is In the near future. If rest of world follows Europe, fly anything over 250g & you'll have to register for a user ID and your drone will have to have a unique electronic id broadcast too. FAA seem to be agreeing with EU quite closely in that respect. Racing drones are explicitly excluded from the freedoms of the sub 250g class due to their max speed.

Irrespective of all that, the guy doing the video is a total fool. Regardless of real or fake, he's an idiot. If it's real, he's asking for everything coming to him from the authorities. If it's a fake, he equally deserves a good kicking from them for making other impressionable idiots think it's possible and trying to emulate it.

Life isn't a video game :(

Paul, the uk testing is starting to be widely discredited and viewed as a stitch up job. To put it politely, they have been somewhat short on full disclosure and scientific rigour. The FAA has published results of some testing and modelling performed after the UK one ... and is of a far higher standard and with far less bias in their results.

Ithacapool, it's coming. Compulsory registration of drone users is In the near future. If rest of world follows Europe, fly anything over 250g & you'll have to register for a user ID and your drone will have to have a unique electronic id broadcast too. FAA seem to be agreeing with EU quite closely in that respect. Racing drones are explicitly excluded from the freedoms of the sub 250g class due to their max speed.

Irrespective of all that, the guy doing the video is a total fool. Regardless of real or fake, he's an idiot. If it's real, he's asking for everything coming to him from the authorities. If it's a fake, he equally deserves a good kicking from them for making other impressionable idiots think it's possible and trying to emulate it.

Life isn't a video game :(
When I was a kid (about 16) a friend of mine and I both had our student pilot licenses. He had just done his cross country, and went on a long flight...taking a friend along. He got caught shortly after landing. Our instructor had to drive way out to retrieve the aircraft, others had to retrieve him and his passenger and a reckoning was coming with the FAA. "What do you think they'll do to me?" he asked. "Chew you up and spit you out...what you did was reckless and dangerous" They took away his license and banned him from ever flying again.

If true I hope they do the same to the person who did this flight. Reckless and dangerous to hundreds of innocents in the air and on the ground.

Paul, the uk testing is starting to be widely discredited and viewed as a stitch up job. To put it politely, they have been somewhat short on full disclosure and scientific rigour

Nick, I would be interested to see what articles/organisations are discrediting the findings of the CAA, BALPA and DfT, can you point me in the right direction please?

dieselshadow, I totally agree with your points. 1. there will always be cowboys 2. the unnecessary new rules and laws that come every day through new agencies or regulators.
However in aviation, this kind of behavior simply cannot be tolerated. as for the drone industry alone, the idea is to make it safer, not cheaper. All our equipment comes at a premium price (drones, spare parts, licences, software, insurance just to name few). Market prices just reflect demand.
The only hobby I can think off is racing, and fair enough these drones can be excluded given its' limited ability.
And yes, public opinion definitely matters as without the support there will be no joy flying commercially.

@Paul Jacques - Can't give you any specific ones offhand, just do some reading around and you'll get the gist of it. Main problems mentioned seem to arise with their de & re-construction of the 'SUA' to be able to fire from their apparatus, and also regarding their tests against the aircraft windscreen. As far as I'm aware, they have also refused to release their findings for peer review.

@Paul Jacques - Can't give you any specific ones offhand, just do some reading around and you'll get the gist of it. Main problems mentioned seem to arise with their de & re-construction of the 'SUA' to be able to fire from their apparatus, and also regarding their tests against the aircraft windscreen. As far as I'm aware, they have also refused to release their findings for peer review.
Ok thanks, probably due to security implications in this wonderful world we live in

Something about it looks off, the plane looks like its going way too slowly as it passes under the drone, looks a little fake
but I know some racing quads can easily do over 100 mph, so who knows

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan