Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Trying not to complain but... Really?

Reaction score
Website
vimeo.com
So, I crash.. and on April 20th, send the Inspire for repair and navigate the 8 week process.
Get it back to find the AC missing the set screw that secures the nut holding the t-arm in place. Communicate through Zendesk and eventually I get a set screw in the mail (really).

I hand tighten and secure the locknut then prep for test flight. First flight, find the range from TX to bird is 100ft tops and it yaws slowly without input. Land, inspect/check settings and change battery and fly again... Same result, this bird isn't ready to fly.

It is now the end of July and as yet, I can not fly this craft safely.

I am beside myself. This repair was never completed properly and obviously not tested in any way before leaving LA.

Any staffers have a suggestion? This is my second unit so I am still in business, but none the less, this bird should be flying by now.

Thread from DJI below if you want to follow the path I've patiently followed.

---------------------
Sent today to DJI LA, July 23rd

Hey there. So after returning from a long trip with my second Inspire, I had time to finish the repair and insert the locking screw… All good.
In it's test flight however, I found the AC to have negligible transmission range. At 100 ft, I lose signal and must return to land safely. Also, I notice the AC drifting even through there was solid GPS connection to 15 plus satellites. When in a dead hover, the craft yaws without input from the TX.
So, the saga continues. Although I have a spare craft, I need to get this bird back in the air (which I’ve paid for of course)
What do you suggest to return to me a functional aircraft?
Thanks.
Jon

J.S. (DJI Technology ) Jun 15, 11:10
Sounds good Jon, notify me if you have further issues.
DJI North America Support

Jon Buckland Jun 15, 10:43
OK, fair enough. So hand tighten so as to avoid play but not to cause undo friction on the T-Junction and operation of the conforming arms. Set Screw to lock in place… I’ll complete the job with adhesive backed mylar tape to act as a back-up to the set screw.
Thanks.

J.S. (DJI Technology ) Jun 15, 10:35

Dear Jon,
We apologize for not fully completing the repair and causing you to fix your own unit even though you paid for the repair service. We understand your situation and if there is any problem with the unit, we will cover it under warranty. We will place notes on your profile so that if the unit does return to the repair department that we will cover all repairs. For adjusting the screw to the proper tension, I would recommend just to hand tighten the screw.

DJI North America Support

Jon Buckland Jun 12, 10:42
So just to be clear. You are sending a set scew that I am to insert into the locking ring. I’ve been on the Inspire Forum and ready many threads about the importance of proper tension on the threaded locking ring. Also, that none of these parts we user serviceable. In fact, the tamper resistant tape, once broken by an end user voids my warranty.

I have no tools to properly adjust torque and after I do this, if there is any problem with the craft, how is my warrantee not effected. This is a unit is not a toy, it is an expensive aerial photography platform. It has never been serviced by anyone other than DJI and, as this is a critical part of the flight platform, I didn’t expect after paying 560 dollars for professional, DJI repairs to have to complete a repair my self.

D.K. (DJI Technology ) Jun 12, 10:23

Dear Jon,
Thank you for your patience!

Your screw has been shipped via: FedEx. Your tracking number is as follows:638860880316
Please allow 24 to 48 business hours for the tracking number to appear on Fedex.com.

Thank you for choosing DJI!
"The Future of possible"

J.E. (DJI Technology ) Jun 11, 14:58

Dear Jon Buckland,
Thank you for contacting DJI North America.
I apologize for that issue. Thank you for providing the picture. I will go ahead and forward this to my lead so we can see what we can do to move forward and help you out.

Thanks for flying DJI

Jon Buckland Jun 9, 14:46

This is a follow-up to your previous request #132793 "DJI Shipping Confirmation"
Hi there. Got the Inspire back in one piece but unfortunately, the unit could not have been properly QC’d. When I unpacked the aircraft and gave it a quick look I found one of the retaining rings holding the T-Arm had not been attached at all, there was no set screw attached and of course no tamper resistant tape put back to finish the job.

As-is, this bird can not fly and in no way could have been test flown at your facility and won’t be flown by me in this condition. So I ask you… Now what? Wait another 8 weeks so you can tighten a locking and return it???

After being patient as you mention, I find myself a little angry with the result of your service.

Please advise

D.K. (DJI Technology ) Jun 1, 10:08

Dear Jon,
Thank you for your patience!
Your unit has been shipped via: FedEx. Your tracking number is as follows:638860878614

Please allow 24 to 48 business hours for the tracking number to appear on Fedex.com.

The address your unit is being shipped to is listed below:

Thank you for choosing DJI!
"The Future of possible"

Jon Buckland May 22, 10:11
Thank you too! Should I have a zendesk link to follow at this point?

E. T. (DJI Technology ) May 22, 09:50

Dear Jon,
Thank you for your reply.
We have confirmed your payment of (567.00). We have now sent your unit to the repair department.

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

DJI North America

E. T. (DJI Technology ) May 22, 08:34

Dear Jon,
Please review the attached invoice with the due amount of (567.00). You are being invoiced for the following:

Yaw arm + Roll Base: $38.00
Roll arm + Pitch Base: $42.00
Center Frame component: $340.00
Landing gear kit: $17.00
2 hrs of repair time at $65.00 per hour: $130.00
Total: $567.00

NOTE If Payment is not received within 7 business days from invoice date, your unit will be processed for return. Once the return process has commenced the status cannot be changed. If at a later date you would like to return your equipment for repair please do so by contacting customer support at 818-235-0789.

Reminder: Proof of payment must be attached to the e-mail before we can ship out the unit.
Thank you and have a wonderful day.

DJI North America

J. S. (DJI Technology ) May 5, 15:47

Dear Jon Buckland,
We have checked your unit into Zendesk, our customer support database.
Congratulations! This is the first step in the repair process once we received your product. Next, your unit will be documented in our Repair Software, which the repair technicians use to track their work. Once that process is done, your product will be placed in line with other repairs, and continually move up until a repair technician services it at a work bench.

Our estimated time of repair is 5-6 weeks from the date of check-in. If you do not receive an email update from the repair team by the 6th week, please call our support team at 818-235-0789, Monday - Friday, 9-5 PST.
We appreciate your patience and thank you for your support of the DJI Product Line.

DJI Service Center North America

M. E. (DJI Technology ) May 19, 16:38

Dear Jon Buckland,

Thank you for your inquiry as to the status of your RMA.

Unless you have received an email from DJI about your repair, there is no update available. The estimated time for normal RMAs to be processed at our facility is 5-6 weeks from the date your product was delivered, not the check-in date. You will be emailed at several key points of repair, and we'd like to remind you of when that will happen:

If you do not have a tracking number provided by the end of the 6th week from when your product was delivered, please call our Customer Service line for assistance. You can reach us Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm PST. If you call in or email for a status update before the end of the 6th week, the customer service representative will not be able to provide any further update than the information seen when you log into Zendesk and check the information on the right-hand side of the check-in/repair ticket

We hope to have your product back soon and thank you for your support of DJI.

DJI Customer Service North America

Jon Buckland May 19, 09:01
This is a follow-up to your previous request #131913 "DJI Product Support Repair ..."
I am following up on the email below which was sent two weeks ago. Please reply to confirm your receipt of my Inspire at your facility.

I understand repairs may take time, just looking for confirmation you have my aircraft

Jon Buckland May 4, 12:09

This is a follow-up to your previous request #123747 "DJI Product Support Repair ..."
Hello, I’m writing to confirm receipt of my Inspire 1 at your facility. It’s RMA:41315238-123747
I have a confirmation by FedEx that the package was received on April 20th but no notification from DJI.

Please confirm delivery, I understand that repair status will not be available till it’s tracked through Zendesk but would like to insure you have my product in your hands

Thanks

Jon

Last edited:
Hey jon! !
For whatever it's worth I know a guy who has had a similar experience. .
it took 8 weeks and came back missing screws without the repair being completed. .
obviously they didn't test fly it when they said they did which is dishonest ..
I've sent my i1 to dji la and had a nightmare of a time so I know how you are feeling. ..
my suggestion to you is to do what you have to to get your i1 working properly even if it means sending it in again..
seems like an advanced imu calibration would take care of your yaw issue. .
I can only speculate why your range is so poor..
There's really not much you can do that won't prolong this unpleasant situation. .
I believe suing is a waste of time and wouldn't yield much..
It's a possibility that Tahoe Ed could look into your case and help get your i1 repaired correctly ..
You can pm him here or on rcgoups.com or perhaps the editor would pass on his email address. ..
anyway. ..hang in there !! It is what it is man...
glad you have another i1 to use in the mean time. ..
turb....

thanks for posting your story. what i got out of your post is the insane cost for repairs. 60 an hour plus parts at full retail? that's total rip off. more amazingly they did all that in 2 hours? looks like they almost rebuilt the whole aircraft.

im having a little trouble understanding why you had to pay in the first place, was your inspire bought used? it doesn't make sense to me for your inspire to spazz out into a pole on it's own and your accountable for the repairs.

oh well i would say when you see a inspire body for 1000 bucks on ebay with a gimbal pick it up because that would be far better value for your money.

thanks for posting your story. what i got out of your post is the insane cost for repairs. 60 an hour plus parts at full retail? that's total rip off. more amazingly they did all that in 2 hours? looks like they almost rebuilt the whole aircraft.

im having a little trouble understanding why you had to pay in the first place, was your inspire bought used? it doesn't make sense to me for your inspire to spazz out into a pole on it's own and your accountable for the repairs.

oh well i would say when you see a inspire body for 1000 bucks on ebay with a gimbal pick it up because that would be far better value for your money.
No, the repair should be on me. I flew too close to an obstruction and dropped the aircraft. Yep, the cost was up there, but if the repair was handled right, I'm OK paying for something of value. Lets see how this story ends.

Thanks

Jon,

I have referred your case to the Manager of Pro Line Support. I will let you know via email the results.

Reactions: sirnikolas

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela