Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

U.S Gov. to require drone registration

Uhh okay buddy....except we arent talking about gun control or drug problems....

Cool story though need more dragons

Here let me reiterate the context for you since you seem to be off your meds. I am talking about how law enforcement is incapable of even enforcing the basic laws in place, and now you think they will be able to to do anything about this? So what is your plan when I do not register? Don't worry incompetent government oversight is your answer for everything.

Edit: oh and ill add once again, if it is so necessary why are we the only country on planet earth considering it? This means Kim Jong Un has a more progressive policy than we do when it comes to drones.

Last edited:
Reactions: mtnmaddman
Its probably going to be like the Clinton *** weapons ban where they have a list of manufactures
and models that will need to be registered as I cant see them wanting the kids $100 drone on the list.
If they go by name brands then its time to build your own without the branded name.
Most of us know this is just another way to get your $ as I'm sure it will cast to register or will it just be another feel good law.
Any law or registration wont stop the idiots from doing damage just like gun laws.

Our Queen Hillary came out the other day and suggested an Aussie type by back for guns,
How about a buy back of DJI drones, I have about 8 Grand wrapped up in this DJI crap. This was not part of the deal that it would cost me extra money directly or through a bureaucratic tax, let alone registering myself or anything else this was not part of the deal, when I purchased. I am going to contact my credit card, co. pay pal ect. and request a refund, unforeseen breach of contract, I think I would prefer a buy back and have my name not be involved in any of this or register or whatever. What type of lawyer involvement is going to evolve from this, say your bird flys off hurts someone, you claim it was DJI's fault, Dji will not want to claim any responsibility, you and your high tech lawyer will get to battle DJI the Govt. and the liberal press. Get ready to lawyer up. Say your bird flies off are you going to look for it, and are you going to stumble across an incident with your bird that you may or may not have caused, Do you think that you are not going to be found. Is DJI and there lawyers going to help you. Let the lawsuits begin. I will let you all know what my lawyer finds out about a buy back or pay pal refund. Dji is now on the committee, To help determine your rights, A Chinese communist country advising, they are also in control of the registration of there product, Do you all not think for one minute that they will not turn over all info to the U.S. That is how registration by Xmas will be complete. I live in the most entitled state in the Country In the poorest most corrupt county in the state, I have been on political boards in this county until I could stand the corruption no more, I know exactly how this works DJI will not be on your side. I really dont think I want to be a part of this, and can go back to flying conventional RC and be happy with that if necessary. The money, power grab is on.

Reactions: Chnjab
Here let me reiterate the context for you since you seem to be off your meds. I am talking about how law enforcement is incapable of even enforcing the basic laws in place, and now you think they will be able to to do anything about this? So what is your plan when I do not register? Don't worry incompetent government oversight is your answer for everything.

I just heard on the radio while I was typing this that the U.S. Govt announced that they couldnt possibly do a background check on the 10,000 Syrian Muslim refugees coming to the U.S. yet they can sort out and register a 100,000 American drone owners, Pollux I am afraid DJI will register for you. Wow we are in the twilight zone now.

Reactions: Chnjab
To be fair there aren't many laws in place. The non drone related laws governing aircraft and model aircraft were written when this technology wasn't in place and only sort of work. They need to set a framework so laws with teeth can be implemented for the idiots out there that fly their drones places that they shouldn't.

The start to that framework is going to have to be a registry of some sort either based on weight or range I'm guessing. If you can't link the UAS to the person that lost control of it (causing harm) then there really isn't any hope of finding them.

To be fair there aren't many laws in place. The non drone related laws governing aircraft and model aircraft were written when this technology wasn't in place and only sort of work. They need to set a framework so laws with teeth can be implemented for the idiots out there that fly their drones places that they shouldn't.

The start to that framework is going to have to be a registry of some sort either based on weight or range I'm guessing. If you can't link the UAS to the person that lost control of it (causing harm) then there really isn't any hope of finding them.

Hi Autoair
I really think that there is enough laws in place to deal with this, privacy, voyeurism laws, property damage laws, 400ft. limit, line of sight, no fly areas programmed in, please tell me what else you think is needed.

Hi Autoair
I really think that there is enough laws in place to deal with this, privacy, voyeurism laws, property damage laws, 400ft. limit, line of sight, no fly areas programmed in, please tell me what else you think is needed.
400ft limit technically isn't a law yet with its own punishment. Also DJI took it upon themselves to do the no fly areas. You can't however push TFR's over a network cause most of these UAS aren't internet connected while they are being flown. I think there should be a registry and mandatory training for something that can encroach on air traffic.

There should be a specific law that treats UAS as aircraft so the punishments can be carried over. I don't think we need to go overboard but eventually sensitive private property (airports government buildings) will have radio jammers and your UAS should land there and you should be forced to deal with the law.

It's hard enough for law enforcement to enforce an existing law such as property damage or flying in restricted air space. We should make their job clear and easy so the folks that play by the rules aren't hampered by some type of electronic leash that is heavy handed down cause the police can't track an offender.

400ft limit technically isn't a law yet with its own punishment. Also DJI took it upon themselves to do the no fly areas. You can't however push TFR's over a network cause most of these UAS aren't internet connected while they are being flown. I think there should be a registry and mandatory training for something that can encroach on air traffic.

There should be a specific law that treats UAS as aircraft so the punishments can be carried over. I don't think we need to go overboard but eventually sensitive private property (airports government buildings) will have radio jammers and your UAS should land there and you should be forced to deal with the law.

It's hard enough for law enforcement to enforce an existing law such as property damage or flying in restricted air space. We should make their job clear and easy so the folks that play by the rules aren't hampered by some type of electronic leash that is heavy handed down cause the police can't track an offender.

Thank you for your reply I really cant follow or agree with your thoughts on the matter I have flown model aircraft for the past 30 years that can encroach on commercial air space, You can also take a hundred dollar quad and fly it above 400 feet if you so choose.. I have several craft that weighs 25 lbs. or more and a couple of gas powered performance monsters that can fly straight up accelerating while rolling way past 400 ft , but why would I do that, None of this is new, and nothing will stop idiots.

Edit
Canadian Geese will be hard to register an keep below 400 ft, training may also be difficult.

Last edited:
I just heard on the radio while I was typing this that the U.S. Govt announced that they couldnt possibly do a background check on the 10,000 Syrian Muslim refugees coming to the U.S. yet they can sort out and register a 100,000 American drone owners, Pollux I am afraid DJI will register for you. Wow we are in the twilight zone now.

I would be surprised if USDot was able to Subpoena Dji. Also I would hope Dji wouldn't release the information voluntarily. All that is totally possible, and so long as it takes no action on my part to provide my information and no fee, then I honestly do not care. As I said I totally support sensible legislation, but it needs to contain a clear method of how they expect to provide effective safety enforcement. Given the full announcement, it did not sound to me like the way they are trying to implement. You will have to go to DMW, pay for stickers, and provide proof of insurance and renew online, then people will go out and continue to fly like idiots.

I would back USdot going after manufacturers to force them to increase safety standards for sale in the US.

The issue is $$$. The government doesn't want to hold the industry liable for the capability of their products which would hurt the businesses. Also that would solve the problem, which doesn't generate residual income.

Edit: oh and ill add once again, if it is so necessary why are we the only country on planet earth considering it? This means Kim Jong Un has a more progressive policy than we do when it comes to drones.

Off my meds? What is it you are trying to get me to see?

I'm well aware they can't enforce it, I never said they should. I dont have a plan when you don't register (not really my problem what you decide to do or don't do)

In theory I could fly my inspire 3+ miles from me and it could go ape **** and crash into a building...I'm 3 miles away, I could just leave nobody would know....That's kinda what needs to change, now you need to forgive the example a bit as no I don't fly 3 miles from me in areas where damage could be caused like that, yes if I did and this occurred I would own up to it. But I'm not everybody, there are owners out there that would just not own up to it and unfortunately there's probably more of them than we know about. Will they register? no. There's too many holes currently....Like I said, I don't think the current way is the way, but they are running out of options to figuring things out, this seemed more like a scare tactic...

I've been in this hobby a while, seen a lot of changes take affect to our regulations, bottom line I like flying and I'm gonna keep doing it until I end up in jail for it. so yeah I might be "off my meds"

Last edited:
The comment period is open on the proposed regulation and registration of 'drones' by the FAA.

If you're in the US (and maybe even if you're not), PLEASE leave constructive(!) comments. A number of us seem to have banded around 'Education, Not Registration'. We should include that.

I think this is the right link to leave comments (the parent docket is closed to comments after only a short time active):

Regulations.gov

Last edited:
Reactions: davlucmac
The comment period is open on the proposed regulation and registration of 'drones' by the FAA.

If you're in the US (and maybe even if you're not), PLEASE leave constructive(!) comments. A number of us seem to have banded around 'Education, Not Registration'. We should include that.

I think this is the right link to leave comments (the parent docket is closed to comments after only a short time active):

Regulations.gov

Good info Morgan Thanks

Skylab

I havent agreed with much of your posts, I do agree with this though

I've been in this hobby a while, seen a lot of changes take affect to our regulations, bottom line I like flying and I'm gonna keep doing it until I end up in jail for it. so yeah I might be "off my meds"

As I stated in my previous posts, I would and will advocate effective laws that punish and prohibit irresponsible UAS operation.
I agree with SkyLab that it can not be left to the consumers to self educate and be responsible in all cases, as we have seen.

My contention is continuously championing impotent legislation. That combined with the absurd financial implications from instituting the impossible measures, I do not see how anyone can just agree without contemplating a better solution.

Please correct me if I am wrong... but the (elected)House of Representatives already ruled. Unless the (appointed)Department of Transportation has authority over the House, last I read:

SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT. (a) IN GENERAL.
—Notwithstanding any other provision of law relating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems into Federal Aviation Administration plans and policies, including this subtitle, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if
— (1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;
(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;
(3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization;
(4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and
(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport)).
(b) STATUTORY CONSTRUCTION.—Nothing in this section shall be construed to limit the authority of the Administrator to pursue enforcement action against persons operating model aircraft who endanger the safety of the national airspace system. (c) MODEL AIRCRAFT DEFINED.—In this section, the term ‘‘model aircraft’’ means an unmanned aircraft that is— (1) capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere;

FAA MODERNIZATION AND REFORM ACT OF 2012

I doubt the registering thing is ever gonna become law, even if it does it will never be enforced. you know how many drones are out there and the whole custom build with parts ordered from China experience. There's about zero chance they could keep up with it without hiring thousands of people and spending billions of dollars on it.

Reactions: skylabimaging

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44