Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

U.S Gov. to require drone registration

7500 government clerks paid by taxpayers making a law against freedom again speaking of retroactive !!!! registration and fines and penalties. Well America basically is bankruptcy why not stopping the wages for this insane guys?

Reactions: ted35
So does this mean if I have already purchased my I1, then I do not have to register it at this time, or am I supposed to go onto some website and still do this registration, even though I have had my I1 for almost a year now...????

Thanks!

-Clint
That is a big question that has not yet been answered.

Federal regulators to require registration of recreational drones

My guess is that it will start with new purchases and that they will gradually institute a broader policy and have a "voluntary" registration for previous owners with fines if an owner does not register their bird.

For me I have nothing against registration of sUAS but what worries me is this "shoot from the hip" process and tone of persecution is what I do not like.

After watching most of the video right off the bat there was no defined process and certainly the tone of it all was that we are all felons.

If you've been in the shoes of a law-abiding, 2A supporting person you can just smell the growing hatred tone that was swelling in that conference room.

We already had to register the inspire when we bought it (at least the original owner) what's the difference , my only thing is that people who are up to no good can simply build their own copter or get one under the radar (no pun intended) and do what they want with it.

So I know it was shown live, but I wasn't able to watch, so how do I now view the, "not live" video? When I go to the link that was given earlier in the thread it just shows a blank page stating there was a live broadcast earlier today...!???

What are the reasons people on this forum are opposed to registration?

As I am in Europe I just wonder how this works for a USA visit. Besides the problem is that the flying restrictions itself will be unacceptable.

If you want to fly legal you can fly over the desert as flying over national parks is already forbidden for some time. Its just not possible to stay legal with such laws.

Theoretically you can get a fine for just flying occasionally 20m near a person even you maybe dont see this person on your tablet in the sun. Its enough a supersheriff spots your drone make a picture of the registration and when you come home police already waiting for you or just sending you a USD 500,- fine to pay their wages with it.

I dont want to fly at airports, over city centers, over masses of people or higher then what is allowed over ground but I need to fly more then 500m and will not keep a 50m distance of any hut standing around somewhere. The error in the system is that you have to hide for this. The goverment makes things illegal which are not considered to be illegal by common sense.

And dont forget - whereever bureaucrats start regulations they will always make it more and more complicated just because they are there and get paid for writing some crap to paper. Have you ever seen the government finished something and sent the bureaucrats home after?

The government says oh 1 mio drone will be sold at christmax. Thats fine we just make laws which no one can follow and get 500 mio revenue in fines :D. There are 100.000 drones in the air already in USA. How many accidents happened? These laws are just for collecting fines.

my only thing is that people who are up to no good can simply build their own copter or get one under the radar (no pun intended) and do what they want with it.

Would be the same like just not registering a drone you already have. The Supersheriffs will look with their googles if the drones they spot have registration markings and if not - you hopefully have a lake between you and them and are faster back then their helicopter arrives :p

What are the reasons people on this forum are opposed to registration? I've seen some snarky comments but I'm curious what the legitimate case against registration is. I don't take any issue with it, and I already have stickers with my contact info on just about every part of my bird. Is it that people just don't want to be on a government registry and labeled as a UAS owner/pilot?

I am curious what this does to the resale market. I know the committee still needs to come up with all of the logistics but transferring ownership of a UAS seems tricky.
I agree with OC..
I don't like the shoot from the hip bulling telling me how to run my life...
only law abiding citizens will follow the law..
this has no effect on the evil doers...
I've had my contact information on my i1 and phantom from the start...
I was hoping that the government was going to step up and do what the president said..that was to integrate drones into the national airspace..
I got into this hobby knowing it was a matter of time before you'll only be able to fly over private property. ..
personally I'm sick of the politicians making stupid laws that effect my life...
There's already tons of laws out there and more to come..
we have local,state and federal all with their hands out to take money and fine you if you don't comply. .
the law shouldn't be multi levels..
I'm getting fed up with the anti drone malarkey. .
I remember when they made you register grandfathered guns ..that's been many years ago and hasn't done anything to curve gun violence. .
now a days they take bullistics on every gun before you can take them home...
they limit clips and assault riffles. .
that hasn't done anything to stop the gun violence in my town where there a shooting every other day...
I don't believe in precrime policing. .
overall I'm disappointed with the government. .
they are the terriosts...

Last edited:
I don't know what the big deal is. We have been telling you this has been coming for months now. I registered my Inspire the week I got it. It cost a whopping $5.00. Each of my cars are registered also, for much more than that. I don't think it is a conspiracy by the government to come after my car, it is a money maker for the State. They waste most of it but some does go to the road repairs and such. This is a way for the FAA to look like they are doing something in the wake of the daily Drone crashes into ----- story. It is also a way for them to start making money to pay for all the extra FAA employees they are going to have to hire to handle all the UAS in the NAS. Turbo you must be really paranoid since you come from California, the most regulated State in the US. Illinois is pretty liberal, and we have never, I repeat, never had to register our guns....Unless you lived in the bastion of safety and security...Chicago. I have lots of guns, and lots of ammunition magazines. Nobody has ever told me I cant buy more. I don't like government much, but I know that without any regulations, within 5 years there will be millions of these cheap, dummy flyable quads doing crap they should not be doing. They are expecting to sell over a million quads this Christmas alone. I think the solution is to make flying hard again. Take away GPS hold, and rely on skill. That is the only way we will be able to control the onslaught of idiots that are going to get these and decide they can do whatever they want with them. Have any of you noticed that not one of the "Drone" crashes are of a fixed wing variety? Why do you think that is? It is because flying a fixed wing UAS takes skill, although they are trying to break into the stupid flyer market with Flying assistance receivers. Men and women have been flying RC airplanes for decades without any cause for alarm from anyone. The difference now is that it is cheap, and it requires no skill. I would like to see the manufacturers forgo the GPS and force the people to go out and learn how to fly the old fashion way. We built planes, then crashed planes, then re-built planes, and slowly learned the art of RC flight at the local flying field. All this was done under the guidance of older pilots who imparted to you what was safe and what was not. That important part is being left out when these parents buy little Johnny his cool Solo quad and let him loose in the neighborhood with it.

Because we are SUPPOSED to be a '**** yeah I can [reasonably] do what I want' [as long as I'm not affecting others]. Nobody's claiming invincibility or immunity, just that we shouldn't have stupid knee-jerk reactionary laws.

I FULLY condemn people doing stupid things, and equally support harsh penalties for it. Operators should bear the responsibility for any accident, including malfunction. The issue here is that "drones" are not being treated equally as a simple tool. You don't need to register your computer with the government; those have done far more damage than quads will ever do. How about cookware? Shoes? People use things for evil (or neglect) hourly. Drones are no different.

Besides, have they defined what needs to be 'registered'? These are the same boneheads that said a paper airplane was a 'drone'. Are all reams of paper going to be regulated because they can be made into a drone? When dealing with the government, the devil is always in the details - if they won't give explicit details, that means they will interpret it as broadly as they want to suit their particular needs. There's simply not enough trust in our government to be okay with that.

Further, the FAA refuses to provide sane guidelines. NFZs around airports are important, but that 30-mile radius around DC (which extends well into MD and VA) is not. Night flights are beautiful, and are relatively safe if you keep it within your line of sight (even easier to do with built-in lights!). Blanket ceiling limits of 400' do not reflect the vastness of our nation - what is active airspace in one area is completely barren in 3 others.

Bottom line: We should be pushing EDUCATION, not "registration".

You say we're not as 'free' as we think we are, but the contrary point to that is that there is a certain level of risk you must accept to live in ANY reasonably-free society. I'm not one for 'Chicken Little'-type paranoia, but this nanny-state **** is going to have some grave consequences for this country, and I don't just mean the inconvenience of registering a hobby or business tool. Just taking it without question is dangerous; little fights like these are extremely important.

Last edited:
I don't really understand the pushback by everyone, to me it seems this is a positive move that will help generate more safe operators.

Of course people who want to do evil things won't be effected, but thats besides the point! Registering guns doesn't stop the bad guys but that doesn't mean there's no point registering anybody.

My bet would be that most of the airport near misses and flights over city's etc are due to ignorance of owners and not because they choose to do something illegal. If by registering people are forced to have more understanding of safe operation and understand that they can be held accountable then hopefully the results will be positive.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont