Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Used I1 coming from B&H. What should I look for?

Reaction score
So, after a year of waiting and just lurking here I finally pulled the trigger and bought an I1 from B&H. It’s a “used” unit an is said to be 8+ condition according to B&H. I have had every Phantom version since the P2V to the P3A so I’m pretty well versed in flying and all the set up processes.

The question I have is since the I1 is a used unit, what are some of the potential areas of trouble that I should look more closely at? Any areas prone to cracks or wear, dirt build up in hidden areas etc.? Just want to make sure that the bird is 100% before putting it in the air so any advice or tips from the pros will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance and I’m just really excited to finally be able to say I’m officially an Inspire1 owner!!

Last edited:
One thing I always check is the landing gear. Especially the very bottom part that touches the ground. The condition of the landing feet will tell you a lot about the amount of flight time and how careful the pilot was with the aircraft. I've seen landing gear that was scratched and scuffed beyond recognition and at the same time I've seen landing gear where the pilot has had hundreds of flights and it looks like its never touched the ground.

This is just a personal thing I tend to check before buying used.

Other more practical checkpoints are:

1. the worm drive - make sure the screw is clean, rubber dust covers are intact and clean, no debris in landing gear mechanism
2. The motors - make sure they have no damage, clean inside and out (you can check through the vent holes), they spin without too much resistance by hand and all 4 feel the same when turning by hand.
3. Gimbal and Camera - this part usually is the first to get damaged/scratched/scuffed during a crash or hard landing. Make sure there is no visible damage, make sure the gimbal auto calibrates correctly on power up. No bends in the gimbal arms, video displays as close to level as possible (there is a slight horizon issue), take some pics and videos and review them on a computer to make sure the camera is recording correctly.
4. Transmitter - make sure its clean (you can tell how careful the previous owner was with their equipment based on how clean the rubber grips are on the transmitter), make sure all buttons function and the gimbal wheel and settings wheel work.

Finally, just the overall physical condition of the aircraft. Again, this can easily tell you how hard the previous owner was on the aircraft, make sure there aren't major scratches that may point to a crash or hard landing. Make sure propellers are all clean, no damage to tips.

That's all I can think of for now.

I purchased mine used for $1900.00 from B &H it was rated a 8 + condition, and mine was received brand new not a mark on it and fly's perfect. plus they give you a unconditional 30 return policy and a 90 day warranty.
I couldn't be happier.

Reactions: AmosMoses
Check the tightness of all the screws. I had some of them backing off on a used Inspire I purchased and actually lost one screw while flying that was holding the motor on. Noticed it on preflight that one of the motors was loose. Previous inspections, motor was tight. Lucky.
Re-apply Loctite if you find any loose.

Reactions: AmosMoses
Lots of great information everyone. Thanks!
I've bought from B&H plenty and have never had any problems so I'm sure it'll be as described. They really seem to be top notch! Just the first time buying one of their used items and I want to be sure is all.
It's scheduled for delivery tomorrow and that's my day off so I'll be sure to update and let you know how it looks and hopefully how it flies if the wife's hunnyDo list isn't to long.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Reactions: turbodronepilot
Okay, UPS finally showed up! First impressions. The case is falling apart on the inside. Every strap that is supposed to hold things in place is broken. I know from reading that this is a common issue but it's still a bit upsetting.
The I1 itself looks to be in ok shape. There is quite a bit of ware on the landing feet. Looks like it was landed on pavement or asphalt quite a bit! The camera had the ND filter on it and it was REALLY cranked on there tight. I was nervous that it wasn't going to come off and that I was going to put to much torque on the camera but I was able to safely remove it with a bit of patience. The props that were used on it look like it may have come into contact with something at some point. They have quite a few scuffs on them. That's my biggest concern so far.
I have the battery charging right now. One question that I have. Will my charger for the P3 be able to charge the remote?? I know of course it won't work with the I1 battery but how about the TX?

Anyone know what this is all about? The battery only has 2 cycles on it and is showing fully charged.
uploadfromtaptalk1438387236234.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Okay, UPS finally showed up! First impressions. The case is falling apart on the inside. Every strap that is supposed to hold things in place is broken. I know from reading that this is a common issue but it's still a bit upsetting.
The I1 itself looks to be in ok shape. There is quite a bit of ware on the landing feet. Looks like it was landed on pavement or asphalt quite a bit! The camera had the ND filter on it and it was REALLY cranked on there tight. I was nervous that it wasn't going to come off and that I was going to put to much torque on the camera but I was able to safely remove it with a bit of patience. The props that were used on it look like it may have come into contact with something at some point. They have quite a few scuffs on them. That's my biggest concern so far.
I have the battery charging right now. One question that I have. Will my charger for the P3 be able to charge the remote?? I know of course it won't work with the I1 battery but how about the TX?
Could you make a few photo condition?

First impressions. The case is falling apart on the inside. Every strap that is supposed to hold things in place is broken. I know from reading that this is a common issue but it's still a bit upsetting.

Will my charger for the P3 be able to charge the remote?? I know of course it won't work with the I1 battery but how about the TX?

Unfortunately, the cases are designed that well. Even brand new ones. DO NOT use the P3 chargers with the Inspire.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan