Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

USA Verifying Part 107 Operators

Reaction score
Hello licensed operators,

Even with the most recent part 107 update I am still running into allegedly non certified operators. To my knowledge, the best way to check their certification status is here: https://www.faa.gov/uas/request_waiver/waivers_granted/

To me, there are obviously more than 96 Part 107 waivers granted. Is this list not accurate or do people not finish their application, or are there really just that many people operating illegally?

I like to make sure I don't report anyone who is actually licensed.

Not looking to discuss ethics here. If you would like to that please create another thread and I'll be glad to comment there.

Your link only shows 107 waivers granted. It does not show if an operator is part 107 certified. I think the only way to know that would be to ask for the certificate, which isn't going to happen by me. If the 107 remote pilot certificate is anything like a Private Pilots certificate it only needs to be shown to law enforcement, NTSB or FAA.

You will never stop seeing people flying commercially without a part 107 certificate.

Reactions: shanks
Yes, I accept that as the reality. However, in the past I have reported illegal operators and the FAA is very quick to jump on them. From my conversation with a local officer the FAA is making enforcement of regulation a high priority ever since they learned their lesson from allowing glider regulations to slide too far out of control.

But the question remains, what is the most dependable way to check someone's certification? I don't expect someone to show their certification when asked, but if someone is overly defensive about it I assume they don't have one.

Just to expand on what SanCap stated - that link is only for waivers granted. My company is 107 certificated as am I as a Remote Pilot. I have 3 waiver applications submitted that are under review, but not approved yet.

I did just receive a restricted COA for Class D airspace under my 333 - only took 5 months!!

Yes, I accept that as the reality. However, in the past I have reported illegal operators and the FAA is very quick to jump on them. From my conversation with a local officer the FAA is making enforcement of regulation a high priority ever since they learned their lesson from allowing glider regulations to slide too far out of control.

But the question remains, what is the most dependable way to check someone's certification? I don't expect someone to show their certification when asked, but if someone is overly defensive about it I assume they don't have one.

Actually I found a way to see if someone has a Remote Pilot Certificate. I searched myself (name and address needed) on the FAA Registry for Airmen, FAA Registry - Airmen - Airmen Inquiry - Main. It came up with what Airmen Certificates I hold, 333 exemption was not included.

Screen Shot 2016-10-12 at 1.14.48 PM.png

Nice find. I could also verify myself without address. You just need which state, really. Anyone else try this and NOT find themselves?

Note that this will not work for someone with a temporary 107 certificate. They may be duly licensed and certificated, but not in that database.

Cheers

Nice find. I could also verify myself without address. You just need which state, really. Anyone else try this and NOT find themselves?

I just did a search on myself, and did not show up, as I would expect. I also only have the temp on IACRA -- still waiting on my permanent certificate. I assume they're getting around to it at half the speed of smell.

I just did a search on myself, and did not show up, as I would expect. I also only have the temp on IACRA -- still waiting on my permanent certificate. I assume they're getting around to it at half the speed of smell.

I also do not have my permanent but I show up.

Iarca.png
If you log into IACRA, does it show status as "Received by Registry" with a temp cert button? Or do you have a cert under the "Airman information" section as well?

I just checked Iarca and it shows I do have a Remote Pilot Certificate number and rating.

Last edited:
We are HOT!

0615.jpg

:D

If you log into IACRA, does it show status as "Received by Registry" with a temp cert button? Or do you have a cert under the "Airman information" section as well?

Well, there you go -- you already had a Part 61 Cert, so all they had to do was add an endorsement. In my case, I am under temporary cert, and so don't show up in the registry. I'm sure there's a lot of folks like me out there... always carry your cert with you!

Cheers

Your link only shows 107 waivers granted. It does not show if an operator is part 107 certified. I think the only way to know that would be to ask for the certificate, which isn't going to happen by me. If the 107 remote pilot certificate is anything like a Private Pilots certificate it only needs to be shown to law enforcement, NTSB or FAA.

You will never stop seeing people flying commercially without a part 107 certificate.
There is no way to effectively determine that in the field. No one has to show you their certificate; unless you call law enforcement and they know what to ask for.
Hello licensed operators,

Even with the most recent part 107 update I am still running into allegedly non certified operators. To my knowledge, the best way to check their certification status is here: https://www.faa.gov/uas/request_waiver/waivers_granted/

To me, there are obviously more than 96 Part 107 waivers granted. Is this list not accurate or do people not finish their application, or are there really just that many people operating illegally?

I like to make sure I don't report anyone who is actually licensed.

Not looking to discuss ethics here. If you would like to that please create another thread and I'll be glad to comment there.

There is no way to effectively determine that in the field. No one has to show you their certificate; unless you call law enforcement and they happen to know what to ask for (most cops don't and don't even want to deal with drones, they have real crimes to deal with). I am not about to get into a hassle out in the field over this, not worth it. If I know the customer, it is easier to put a bug in their ear and teach them they should ask for credentials and the liability of hiring uncertified or uninsured operators.

Reactions: slim.slamma
Hi Shanks:

I guess my question after mulling this over... why are we wanting to self-police in any case? I'll gladly offer up my cert (and my AMA card, situation dependent) to a LEO (and I DID today, actually), but if you, as random Joe Q ask me for it, why should I surrender that info to you? I get that we want to discourage cowboys and hot-rodders as such given that we've all invested significantly in following the regulations, getting certs, insurance and the like, and we don't want to have those folks poison the well for the rest of us... but wouldn't a better option to be just call and report the offending flight ops to your local FSO and let them handle it?

And if they aren't flagrantly violating Part 107 rules, and endangering other people's safety, I would just drop it.

....But if they are presenting a clear threat to the public with their flight, my first call would be to the sheriff's office, then the state police (or Park Service :) as the case may be), then the FAA FSO, in that order...

Cheers

Reactions: Trae
Hi Shanks:

I guess my question after mulling this over... why are we wanting to self-police in any case? I'll gladly offer up my cert (and my AMA card, situation dependent) to a LEO (and I DID today, actually), but if you, as random Joe Q ask me for it, why should I surrender that info to you? I get that we want to discourage cowboys and hot-rodders as such given that we've all invested significantly in following the regulations, getting certs, insurance and the like, and we don't want to have those folks poison the well for the rest of us... but wouldn't a better option to be just call and report the offending flight ops to your local FSO and let them handle it?
Cheers

In a nutshell, all I want to do is be able to report illegal operators who are poisoning the well. I am not seeking to try to police them myself necessarily, as I understand I have absolutely zero authority as an operator. I would much rather my illegal competition not know I exist at all. If they suspect me of reporting them the chances are good that they would try to slander me on social media or leave phony reviews on google, which could hurt my business.

A public database online gives me the opportunity to check without having to confront them about it, and if every operator I report to the FSO is indeed an illegal operator, they will take my reports more seriously than they already do.

This may sound very in depth and time consuming, but in truth, all it takes to report an illegal operator is one e-mail to the local FSO with their information. It takes only seconds and if they are illegal the FAA takes care of them, and let's you know the results. Worth every bit of my time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan