Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Video editing with VLC

Reaction score
I like VLC...but at the moment struggling with a simple operation...can you cut and splice 4K files with it? ie just take out sections that are not of interest?

Can't find advice on how to anywhere, if anyone could help - thanks!

Ignoring the general unhelpful nature that seems to be a feature of this forum for a moment...I've been to Google, and terms like "cut", "Splice", "split" are too generic to provide the answer, even when combined with "VLC or "VideoLanClient"...equally the VLC wiki seems to have more info on batch-processing, codecs and streaming then the simple editing techniques.

Anyone more helpful around?

Excuse me !?!?
Had you actually clicked on the link I provided, you would be thanking me for the info. It is exactly what you asked for.

I've been to Google, and terms like "cut", "Splice", "split" are too generic to provide the answer, even when combined with "VLC

FWI, I typed the same words into google as you did in your subject title
editing with VLC

Last edited:
OK, I owe you a huge apology...assumed you were as unhelpful as other people on this forum...link just said "Google", so I thought you were just sending me off to the main page...especially with your slightly snidey intro...

But...sorry...yes that seems to be helpful.

Ignoring the general unhelpful nature that seems to be a feature of this forum for a moment...I've been to Google, and terms like "cut", "Splice", "split" are too generic to provide the answer, even when combined with "VLC or "VideoLanClient"...equally the VLC wiki seems to have more info on batch-processing, codecs and streaming then the simple editing techniques.

OK, I owe you a huge apology...assumed you were as unhelpful as other people on this forum...link just said "Google", so I thought you were just sending me off to the main page...especially with your slightly snidey intro...

But...sorry...yes that seems to be helpful.

No problem partner.
I know there is a lot of negative dudes here, (it's why I almost never log in). But I saw a chance to help a noob and after I googled it, I finally logged in and posted the link for you.
There are a lot of other ways to edit your clips without breaking the bank, (do some research) like Power Director.

Yeah I had a look...seems to be a few for around $50, which is in my budget, but want to make sure I get the best (I can afford). I'm only doing very simple things so something like MovieMaker for Windows would be fine, but with 4K support.

Yeah I had a look...seems to be a few for around $50, which is in my budget, but want to make sure I get the best (I can afford). I'm only doing very simple things so something like MovieMaker for Windows would be fine, but with 4K support.

The MAJOR problem with moviemaker is you cannot "grade" your footage. If you are putting clips together shot on different days, or sun/clouds mix, you have no way to correct exposure, colors, etc, to match the clips.

True, but mostly I'm just editing out my crappy flying and framing from a single clip :)

I've been to Google, and terms like "cut", "Splice", "split" are too generic to provide the answer, even when combined with "VLC..

Can you please explain to me why you didn't type "video editing with VLC" into your google search box, (but you can type it into the subject field to start an entire New Thread)? I seriously don't understand your search methods, as exactly what you ask for pops up #1, 2, 3, 4 etc) ???

https://www.google.com/search?site=...1.2.0....0...1c..64.hp..0.1.214.0.IMaEO4XLQg4

Yes, duly admonished...I didn't think "editing" was sufficiently narrow to attract the info I needed - but would attract a wider audience here...trying to be too clever, which is what I answer at interview whenever I'm asked "Do you have a weakness?"

Strength is I'm quick to apologise...so...sorry again..

In my defence I had a mental block to seeing hitting a "record" button as a way to split/cut/splice. Of course that's because VLC CANNOT actually split/cut/splice...it just re-records the section, frame by frame...you're right, I need to buy some software.

Thanks again for your help, and one more apology that I did not recognise it as such.

VLC is good, but I prefer using some other free programs. I found the free online video converter also comes with a built-in editor that enables me to trim video clips and add watermark. It works fine on my computer. Are there other free programs suggested? I want to compare more applications and find the best one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44