Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Watch out hand catching an inspire....

Quite honestly, he's lucky he's got all his fingers attached and working - I got caught out back in winter on a windy day when the wind spun the props up and caught my knuckle when I was carrying the I2 back to the car... that hurt and was a deep enough cut without there even being any power on :(

Quite honestly, he's lucky he's got all his fingers attached and working - I got caught out back in winter on a windy day when the wind spun the props up and caught my knuckle when I was carrying the I2 back to the car... that hurt and was a deep enough cut without there even being any power on :(
The only safe way to hand catch an Inspire, seems like EVERYTHING is protected! :p
DI-2010-1377-Royal-Armour-Henry-VIII-II.8.jpg

I'm imaging how could single-man pilot do a hand catch in case of landing gear stuck?
catch it and no spare hand to stop the motor.... really confuse...

A emergency motor stop combo takes 2 hands to perform, or the motor could stop in other way??

anyone?

Last edited:
I'm imaging how could single-man pilot do a hand catch in case of landing gear stuck?

A emergency motor stop combo takes 2 hands to perform, or the motor could stop in other way??

anyone?
Turn off downward vision sensors, leave the gear up, catch behind the gear mechanism with your right hand only (which is why you need to turn off the vision system) and use you left hand to pull down on the left stick to kill the power. When the I2 detects its not descending for a few seconds, it'll stop the motors. If you have the CSC enabled, then you can manage it with one hand, but it's difficult - i've done it hand catching a phantom.

Alternatively, find a patch of long grass, reeds or a small unsuspecting bush and set down in that. Then go buy a new gimbal/camera.

Reactions: JoePGM
...unless you know what you're doing, wearing gloves and have a crash helmet on!

Another happy news article from the drone-loving BBC. Got to make sure the public are scared by them...

'My fingers were almost cut off by a drone' - BBC News
"It all happened so quickly. I didn't realize what it could actually do" Well for starters, moron, don't try to catch drones with your hands.

Reactions: bluelight.support
Unfortunately, its the un-trained, that think they know it all that cause issues - thats what a safe zone of 30m is for! News reports from this type of incident where UAV's are misused causes massive problems for the group of professionals who pay £1k+ for training and certification and the ability to pre-flight survey and risk assess!!!

omg.. 'I didn't realize the damage it could do....' this is not a case of being untrained, this is a TOTAL lack of common sense. This is the kind of guy that would put his hand down into a garbage disposal after a ring or spoon while it was running!!

And to top it off, he was ok with using his name and picture in that article. I supposed he felt he was using his experience as a warning to others.. Maybe we shouldn't warn people like that and let survival of the fittest run it's course. And I'm more talking about the guys friend who's drone it was and thought it would be ok for either one of them to hand catch.

Sometimes, I just can't believe we human beings have survived as a species..

Reactions: The Editor
I've have to hand catch the I2 when doing Yacht photo/videoshoots. Just turn off the auto landing gear, wear remote lanyard, catch with dominant hand on the battery packs and power down. After the motors stop the landing gear lowers on its own.

Reactions: JoePGM and PatrickP
If you watch the DJI adverts for movie filmed entirely on I2, you will see them doing hand catching and filming.... But they use full face helmet and cut proof gloves! Also if you are a CAA approved pilot, then you will have insurance to cover you for loss/damage to the drone. Even if you're not using the drone professionally it makes good sense to have insurance through the a club or other similar organisation. It's all about educating people and having common sense! With insurance, if the drone is misbehaving, you can just ditch it and claim for repairs. Better than losing your fingers, or worse.

I almost exclusively hand catch my inspires. I select GPS and make sure it's "locked" in and bring to about 2 feet agl with landing gear down. Reach over and grab the hump, hold down left stick with my other hand till she shuts off. Started doing that on a horror movie set in Dec 2015 due to the sand. Now I do it just to keep dust off my gear. It feels way safer than catching from below. Literally 100's of times now, zero incidents. I am 6'2" and do have a decent reach. Also realizing with in the "hump" is the gps antenna, so when I reach over its a quick grab on with enough force to stop it even if the stick goes full throttle.... I know that for a fact. Ok yah, so 1 incident and it was a tad scary, but that has been my only scare. My arm and hand felt the push up but barley moved if at all. No bites ever. (just knocked on wood). I don't tell/recommend people to do it. I feel safe when I do... which really is most of the time.

Reactions: Dxtrty

anyone?

I hand catch the Inspire 1. I have big hands and can hold the controller with one hand and still have fingers to reduce the throttle intil the rotors stop (not the CSC). I did grab it in the wrong place once... where my finger got crushed but know I couldn't let go. I just hoped the LG endpoint wasn't too much further. It hurt a bit but I learned to never do that again.

The Inspire 2, on the other hand, fights like a mother. It doesn't matter what mode you're in, it just doesn't like to be grabbed out of the air at all. I can hang on pretty easily but it's a little too out of control to do regularly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide