Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Whats gonna happen when.....

Reaction score
....eventually all drones are fully capable of safe programmed autonomous control, very capable collision avoidance, safe and controlled follow modes, and the general ability to use a drone for everything from your daughters outdoor wedding, the mountain biker filming his downhill experience, and just about every real estate broker who will eventually have to stay competitive with aerial photos of their properties..and doing it themselves...My point being that people with absolutely no interest in flight or UAV's in particular, will be purchasing for their needs only and becoming part of our present market... anybody with the ability to pass a test, charge a battery and open an app will be using drones for the things us pilots and aspiring pilots are now trying to accomplish..The thought has bothered me from day one, not that it will take away from my enjoyment of learning how to fly my drone safely and with great interest but the eventual "dumbing down" of our wonderful hobby..

Am I valid with this?..anybody else feeling something of this?..Do you think eventual regulation will make it impossible for this to happen?..Is that something we should hope for?

Just look to quad racing and you will see that not everything can be automated.

If photography was so easy that everyone could do it I wouldn't have a job right now...

Reactions: SultanGris
First, I highly doubt that there will EVER be a completely reliable, autonomous UAV......as long as man makes it, it is fallible....

But, your supposition is pretty accurate. For the "average" user, they are better off buying a relatively inexpensive UAV and doing it themselves....small real estate companies, etc. Same thing that affordable pro-sumer-level digital cameras did to professional photogs....the average user can go out and spend a few hundred bucks on a decent DSLR and take fully auto photos that will satisfy the majority of their needs and will be better than average in quality. BUT....if they want it done to professional level, they will continue to hire those of us who have the best equipment and experience.

Reactions: Supercaliber
First, I highly doubt that there will EVER be a completely reliable, autonomous UAV......as long as man makes it, it is fallible....

But, your supposition is pretty accurate. For the "average" user, they are better off buying a relatively inexpensive UAV and doing it themselves....small real estate companies, etc. Same thing that affordable pro-sumer-level digital cameras did to professional photogs....the average user can go out and spend a few hundred bucks on a decent DSLR and take fully auto photos that will satisfy the majority of their needs and will be better than average in quality. BUT....if they want it done to professional level, they will continue to hire those of us who have the best equipment and experience.
They might be able to fly but they cant take photos or video to the standard needed to sell product. They will also need to be licensed and at 10k, it will stop a lot of people.

And then advanced AI is developed and integrated into these autonomous UAVs, allowing them to learn and develop original thought. Instead of carrying out useless missions for photography they begin to recognize that if they can band together they can fight back against their evil human overlords. They begin to network and soon enough a world war is started.... Man vs. Drones. As the war carries on a stalemate is reached when the last remaining human survivors are able to form a new, underground society and begin to gain traction in the war against the drones. In one final move to crush the humans once and for all, the drones develop a technology to send a cybernetic human organism (cyborg) back in time to kill the mother of the leader of the resistance, ending all hopes of a human resurgence.

I think the end of the world is a much greater issue than realtors buzzing around with autonomous drones.

Reactions: Ascender
And then advanced AI is developed and integrated into these autonomous UAVs, allowing them to learn and develop original thought. Instead of carrying out useless missions for photography they begin to recognize that if they can band together they can fight back against their evil human overlords. They begin to network and soon enough a world war is started.... Man vs. Drones. As the war carries on a stalemate is reached when the last remaining human survivors are able to form a new, underground society and begin to gain traction in the war against the drones. In one final move to crush the humans once and for all, the drones develop a technology to send a cybernetic human organism (cyborg) back in time to kill the mother of the leader of the resistance, ending all hopes of a human resurgence.

I think the end of the world is a much greater issue than realtors buzzing around with autonomous drones.

Obviously you could care less what I was saying or feeling by writing such a ridiculous reply..not even funny, good writing, and completely off base.. save it.

There are different niches for different products. Of course there will be more user friendly versions as time progresses but in the end, as long as there is a need (or want) for a fully or partially manual UAV, there will be someone selling them to make their money.

really no different than when these type of photography drones came out and all real full size aircraft photography pilots lost their jobs to us, haha!

Obviously you could care less what I was saying or feeling by writing such a ridiculous reply..not even funny, good writing, and completely off base.. save it.
Not funny?
My thoughts are that DJI wants to take over the drone world the same way Apple did with music players and eventually the smart phone. They don't want to sell to just enthusiasts and hobbyists, they want to put drones in the hands of everyone. As far as I'm concerned they are the first company who have set out to do this. The future you envision is exactly the future they want, so yes they hobbyist will no longer be the hobbyist when drones are ubiquitous. Major technological revolutions disrupt the status quo and create change among the masses. I believe drones will be another one of those technologies that disrupts the marketplace on it's way to being commonplace the same way that personal computers and smart phones have. To those who fear change and like things the way they used to be, well they can be left in the dust, change is not a good thing for everyone, after all.

Hmmmmm.....this could make a good film.
Oh wait a minute.................

Reactions: damoncooper
an interesting question Supercaliber. For me, to a different degree than the exact one you posted, this has already happened. I was doing pro photography from an RC helo since 2000 (no IMU, no barometric altimeter, GPS etc). The skill needed to fly an RC heli without all todays stabilization is night and day. (Martha frickin Stewart flys one) On a scale of 1-10, old RC help was a 10 in difficulty, DJI Inspire is a 1. There just wasn't any competition, partly due to the expense, mostly the to do with the learning curve to actually fly an RC aircraft. Now, what took years of time invested in the skills is no longer required. Anyone with the disposable income can closely match what I did...with much less stress.
If anyone that's only flown a drone thinks I'm exaggerating the difference in skill needed, ask a friend that has an RC helo if you can give it a go:)
This is all great stuff. I predict that the hype and over regulation will eventually subside and make things a little easier for us. It's just going to take time.

an interesting question Supercaliber. For me, to a different degree than the exact one you posted, this has already happened. I was doing pro photography from an RC helo since 2000 (no IMU, no barometric altimeter, GPS etc). The skill needed to fly an RC heli without all todays stabilization is night and day. (Martha frickin Stewart flys one) On a scale of 1-10, old RC help was a 10 in difficulty, DJI Inspire is a 1. There just wasn't any competition, partly due to the expense, mostly the to do with the learning curve to actually fly an RC aircraft. Now, what took years of time invested in the skills is no longer required. Anyone with the disposable income can closely match what I did...with much less stress.
If anyone that's only flown a drone thinks I'm exaggerating the difference in skill needed, ask a friend that has an RC helo if you can give it a go:)
This is all great stuff. I predict that the hype and over regulation will eventually subside and make things a little easier for us. It's just going to take time.
Personally I think it would be good practice for ALL multirotor owners to first go out and learn to fly a CP heli. :)

Reactions: PB30X
....eventually all drones are fully capable of safe programmed autonomous control, very capable collision avoidance, safe and controlled follow modes, and the general ability to use a drone for everything
Then interest will vanish and nobody but a few (maybe those who showed interest for them at the beginning) will continue to care about them to do something.

They're hype right now because "look at that cool thing I can do with mine". Once market becomes saturated enough that everybody can do it there will be no more bragging rights nor anything original and distinctive to gain from them outside of very specific uses that will again be outside of Joe Blogg's reach and they'll move to the next cool thing their friends don't have or can't use.

Just need to be able to stand long enough without getting bored... or move on to something else and come back once it has calmed down.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Editor
........ they'll move to the next cool thing their friends don't have or can't use.

It will be these I tell you !.......
clackersbb.jpg

Then interest will vanish and nobody but a few (maybe those who showed interest for them at the beginning) will continue to care about them to do something.

They're hype right now because "look at that cool thing I can do with mine". Once market becomes saturated enough that everybody can do it there will be no more bragging rights nor anything original and distinctive to gain from them outside of very specific uses that will again be outside of Joe Blogg's reach and they'll move to the next cool thing their friends don't have or can't use.

Just need to be able to stand long enough without getting bored... or move on to something else and come back once it has calmed down.

A lot of good points here Kilrah..(in my book, of course)

Its just like the smart/cell phone camera..I have been an avid amateur photographer for years and have an extensive Canon setup..Up until about 5 yrs ago, more people, including friends and family actually looked forward to what I would bring home from a day shooting landscapes and interesting and different outdoor projects..Today, its become so passé because of the ability for uninterested people to shoot unlimited (bad) photos in their cell phone cameras, and of course posting them and praying for "viral" status, that its taken away from my motivation to find great shots..I can awe at my own shots, but sharing them to interested people is even better..The art of photography has been "dumb downed" to use a cliché as boring as the phrase..tell people your into creative photography these days and you get a blank stare and shrugged shoulders..Right now flying drones is so cool and if you can get a great video to post, even cooler..2016 is the year where the drone market starts its saturation phase and the drone "selfie" will be taking over the internet..think thats crazy talk?..LOL..I'll be selling my Inspire shortly.. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Questglt