Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Which sunshade is best for iPad air2 and mini3?

90 degree shades do not block glare and reflection on the display. Only the PadHat blocks glare and reflection for UAV pilots. That is why 100s of pilots, pro and amateur, use HoodiVision shades.

As we posted earlier on this thread:

We received this unsolicited from Jim Bonnardel, owner of DIY Drones.com and the president of Silent Electric Flyers of San Diego:

"I wanted to comment on the perfect angle of the PadHat.

There are a few guys showing up at the field with other brand shades, as well as home made ones.

Everyone complains about the glare and reflection. With the other shades, at a 90 degree angle, the screens are a perfect mirror showing the pilot their own reflection.

Hoodivision shades have that perfect angle that completely eliminates that. As soon as I show them my shades, they realize that the PadHat is the best out there."

We thank Jim for his impartial and factual observation.

A 90 degree straight shade would need to be 20-24" high to block glare and reflection like a PadHat shade.
We have one Hoodivison and have been nothing but disappointed in it. Certainly in the market for something better. The Hoodivision I just like a limp noodle, a pain to handle and accomplishes nothing without me rigging it with gaff tape or the like.

That's why I made one for myself and then got a great response from the community purchasing them. I know they are not cheap but they are extremely well made and satisfaction guaranteed. If you are a professional pilot needing something rigid that works really well check out our sunshades and other accessories. www.aerialdroneaccessories.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have one Hoodivison and have been nothing but disappointed in it. Certainly in the market for something better. The Hoodivision I just like a limp noodle, a pain to handle and accomplishes nothing without me rigging it with gaff tape or the like.
Hello Jeremy,

Thank you for your observation.

We and the forum monitors would prefer to deal with customer service issues directly through our Customer Service.

If you can please contact Kev [email protected]
Please include the model and purchase date to help accelerate your service.

I can assure you that we have 1000s of very satisfied pilots around the world and most issues, which usually involve shade attachment, are easily resolved to the customer's satisfaction. Plus we have a 30 day unconditional guarantee and our return rate is less than 2%.

As we stated previously, 90 degree shades do not block glare and reflection, no matter the price, and a visit to those websites often show the glare and reflection in the product pics.

Sincere Regards,
Steve

Hi,

Kev in Customer Service found your order and has sent you an email to help find you a solution.

Best Regards,
Steve

Hello Jeremy,

Thank you for your observation.

We and the forum monitors would prefer to deal with customer service issues directly through our Customer Service.

If you can please contact Kev [email protected]
Please include the model and purchase date to help accelerate your service.

I can assure you that we have 1000s of very satisfied pilots around the world and most issues, which usually involve shade attachment, are easily resolved to the customer's satisfaction. Plus we have a 30 day unconditional guarantee and our return rate is less than 2%.

As we stated previously, 90 degree shades do not block glare and reflection, no matter the price, and a visit to those websites often show the glare and reflection in the product pics.

Sincere Regards,
Steve
Mr. Sexton contacted Kev at HoodiVision Customer Service and Kev helped him with attachment of the shade.

What's really missing from the market place is a protective case for the iPad so it can be transported to the field without the fear of MR. Butterfingers dropping it (me), mounting said protected screen into the RC mount and then attaching the sun hood. My iPad Air is at the limit of the I1 RC screen holder and has to be mounted naked. I bought an iPad mini 4 and it will allow me to add a Survivor case to the iPad and still fit in the i1 RC screen holder. The Survivor has a nice loop of plastic that would support a pair of back bands on the top and bottom to hold a hood. Lots of potential for the mini market. Not so for the full sized iPad airs...unless someone machines a whole new mount to fit the RC. (sigh) :(

What's really missing from the market place is a protective case for the iPad so it can be transported to the field without the fear of MR. Butterfingers dropping it (me), mounting said protected screen into the RC mount and then attaching the sun hood. My iPad Air is at the limit of the I1 RC screen holder and has to be mounted naked. I bought an iPad mini 4 and it will allow me to add a Survivor case to the iPad and still fit in the i1 RC screen holder. The Survivor has a nice loop of plastic that would support a pair of back bands on the top and bottom to hold a hood. Lots of potential for the mini market. Not so for the full sized iPad airs...unless someone machines a whole new mount to fit the RC. (sigh) :(

If you know someone with a 3 D Printer what you are looking for can be designed.... I just got a nice part for my iPad Pro that is very solid and works with the existing bracket. It would just have to be printed to accommodate whatever case/iPad you are using....

i Pad PRO Mount Adapter - DJI Inspire 1 and Phantom 3 Advanced and Professional

Here is the mount you are looking for.

Stacy - can you please contact site admin regarding advertising on this forum.
Whilst in the past certain promotion of products has gone unchecked the vendor status rules have been reevaluated and we now take unsolicited advertising much more seriously.
To continue to allow your promotions to go ahead would not be fair to those vendors who have agreed to Approved Vendor Status.

Thank You.

If you know someone with a 3 D Printer what you are looking for can be designed.... I just got a nice part for my iPad Pro that is very solid and works with the existing bracket. It would just have to be printed to accommodate whatever case/iPad you are using....

i Pad PRO Mount Adapter - DJI Inspire 1 and Phantom 3 Advanced and Professional
The "Achilles heel" of the DJI I1 RC screen mount system is the single bolt that doubles as the tensioner and connector to the base of the RC. Any engineer or building inspector (me) knows continuous load path. All the weight and other forces go down that one connection. I get why they did it to kept weight down and keep the RC format to match the phantom and branding line, but a more robust mount is needed for the bigger iPads. Only reason I haven't ordered a spare yet is I have two controllers. If I flew this bird daily, I'd predict this the first part to fail. And when it does it will be sight as the screen will likely fall, unplug from the RC and trigger who knows what (anyone know?) as your eyes leave the bird and you fumble with two things in your hands.

I've been concerned about this, even with the iPad Air 2, especially if you've used a hood on a windy day. Has anyone heard of this piece failing? I'd like not to be the first...

Queen1944, you make an excellent point that if it does break, instinct will likely be to catch the falling pieces and you could very easily push the sticks accidentally to a potentially catastrophic result. One thing I've learned from training for my Sports Pilot license is that you need to always be considering the worst case scenario. Where would I land if I had an engine failure now.... how about now.... how about now... It's a valuable discipline to carry over into flying UAVs.

The pad hat has become floppy with use and I now regret getting mine, and whilst I understand their theory of the weird viewing angle, it's horrible for use in real life.
I'm actually here looking for something to replace mine.

Reactions: diverreb
The pad hat has become floppy with use and I now regret getting mine, and whilst I understand their theory of the weird viewing angle, it's horrible for use in real life.
I'm actually here looking for something to replace mine.

Hello Ezookiel,

Do you have the HoodiVision WingStruts (choose accessories in the Products pull down menu) that add firm wing support without adding extra weight?
We announced them late year with a special for our past customers.
Please email [email protected] and he will help you.

Please remember that our shades were not initially designed for drone pilots and we have worked with many amateurs and pros to design solutions for them. WingStruts are a big hit and we are an official sponsor of International Drone Day and competitions this year in San Diego, CA.

Reactions: Ezookiel
I ordered a Hoodman (For the iPad Mini) not too long ago and although it works better than any of the 3 sided hoods - I still get reflections on my screen. I have resorted to using a glare reducing screen guard in conjunction with the hoodman and that works well.

Soon I'm going to be upgrading my iPad mini for an iPad Pro 9.7 so I'll probably end up just using an anti-glare screen cover minus any hood..

I ordered a Hoodman (For the iPad Mini) not too long ago and although it works better than any of the 3 sided hoods - I still get reflections on my screen. I have resorted to using a glare reducing screen guard in conjunction with the hoodman and that works well.

Soon I'm going to be upgrading my iPad mini for an iPad Pro 9.7 so I'll probably end up just using an anti-glare screen cover minus any hood..
Adding more screen realestate opens a larger area and more glare. I went from iPad Air to mini. Much less light getting in. FYI

Hello Ezookiel,

Do you have the HoodiVision WingStruts (choose accessories in the Products pull down menu) that add firm wing support without adding extra weight?
We announced them late year with a special for our past customers.
Please email [email protected] and he will help you.

Please remember that our shades were not initially designed for drone pilots and we have worked with many amateurs and pros to design solutions for them. WingStruts are a big hit and we are an official sponsor of International Drone Day and competitions this year in San Diego, CA.

Ok, I've been in touch with Kev, and hopefully when we arrange to get some stuts, it will stiffen the sides up enough that it will start to feel a lot less like I'm peering underneath the sunhood, and much more like I'm actually looking at the screen.
I do understand that the angle gets rid of the problem of looking at your own reflection in the screen, but it takes very little angle to fix that issue. Too much and you're left peering in under the sunshield, and it's a biatch to reach any onscreen controls and settings. I personally think the padhat overdoes the viewing angle by quite a lot. It's all black on the inside, so just a tiny angle to stop seeing your own reflection is really all that should be needed. But it is a damned fine piece of worksmanship, and the quality is there for sure. Will see how the side reinforcement goes. It could make a world of difference.

Adding more screen realestate opens a larger area and more glare. I went from iPad Air to mini. Much less light getting in. FYI

I fully understand this however, my choice to upgrade isn't in hopes of reducing the glare, my opinion is that there is no solution for screen glare and efforts to reduce it via a "hood" of some sorts is mostly a waste of money unless you're coupling the hood with another shade device such as a tree, tarp, etc.

Wow. Those made this thing perfect again!!
I can definitely now highly recommend the PadHat again.

If you're using a screen as large as the Air2, then order a set of the struts. It's just a little too much surface area and the hat does sag a little over that much area, but the struts are brilliant. So far handling everything the crappy weather we've had the last two days has thrown at my PadHat, without a problem.

111adccb7e947b578b39a41453356bbc.jpg

I don't imagine that PadHat would recommend this, but I actually ROLL my hat up, it means it fits in the slot made for a spare set of props, and these struts roll up inside it perfectly, so it's small and compact and real easy to store and carry, but more than stiff enough when in use.
I ordered two sets - they're really cheap, so that's easy to do - and I put one set in the wings where they're supposed to go, and another set across the back.
SOOO happy again now.

1ba3c0ce049184e02925c3e99c249bd7.jpg

Reactions: HoodiVision
I fully understand this however, my choice to upgrade isn't in hopes of reducing the glare, my opinion is that there is no solution for screen glare and efforts to reduce it via a "hood" of some sorts is mostly a waste of money unless you're coupling the hood with another shade device such as a tree, tarp, etc.
Hello DodgeP,

The reason most shades including your recent purchase do not block glare is because they are at a right angle to the tablet (Features menu > Shade angle). Our PadHat shades actually block virtually all glare and reflection when used correctly.

Best Regards
The HoodiVision Team

Hello DodgeP,

The reason most shades including your recent purchase do not block glare is because they are at a right angle to the tablet (Features menu > Shade angle). Our PadHat shades actually block virtually all glare and reflection when used correctly.

Best Regards
The HoodiVision Team

Hi,

is this a money back guarantee statement? I'm actually considering the iPad Pro 12.9 so I may have to find another solution anyway..

Hi,

is this a money back guarantee statement? I'm actually considering the iPad Pro 12.9 so I may have to find another solution anyway..

It works. I've had a bunch of other iPad sun shields and they all sucked, no exceptions. PadHat is great but only usable on a full sized iPad with the support struts. I wish they'd just make a stiff black version and do away with the cloth. It was a neat idea and ok for smaller tablets but with the iPad Air it's the wrong material choice.

Reactions: DodgeP

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool