Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

X4S Panorama Image Sample

Reaction score
Website
nvision4d.com
I've been teetering on whether to purchase an X5S and all the expensive accessories required. I will at some point but I've been disappointed by the sample images people have posted. Most of them do not bode well for the image quality of the X5S. I've been a professional advertising photographer for 30-years and cut my teeth on 8x10 and 4x5 transparency film. So I've seen some astounding image quality over the years. I've been shooting Canon digital for 25-years and am always impressed by what the equipment is capable of. So, I have high expectations.

As such, here is an X4S image for anyone who's having the same trepidation I am over the X5S. This image is pretty darn close to the image quality that I've been seeing from the X5S. None of my drone work will be published like my other work has been so I think I may just stick with the X4S for awhile unless some client comes around with deep pockets.

This image is a panorama that is made up of 10 images. Each image is full size (3840x2160) and about 26mb in case you download it. The final image is 16,194x1926 (cropped the top and bottom to remove the curved stitching).

And as always, I'm looking for that perfect X5S sample image that will tip the scales and make me buy one.

http://nvision.s463.sureserver.com/DroneImages/StellaMarisPano_01.jpg

Reactions: SanCap
I've been teetering on whether to purchase an X5S and all the expensive accessories required. I will at some point but I've been disappointed by the sample images people have posted. Most of them do not bode well for the image quality of the X5S. I've been a professional advertising photographer for 30-years and cut my teeth on 8x10 and 4x5 transparency film. So I've seen some astounding image quality over the years. I've been shooting Canon digital for 25-years and am always impressed by what the equipment is capable of. So, I have high expectations.

As such, here is an X4S image for anyone who's having the same trepidation I am over the X5S. This image is pretty darn close to the image quality that I've been seeing from the X5S. None of my drone work will be published like my other work has been so I think I may just stick with the X4S for awhile unless some client comes around with deep pockets.

This image is a panorama that is made up of 10 images. Each image is full size (3840x2160) and about 26mb in case you download it. The final image is 16,194x1926 (cropped the top and bottom to remove the curved stitching).

And as always, I'm looking for that perfect X5S sample image that will tip the scales and make me buy one.

http://nvision.s463.sureserver.com/DroneImages/StellaMarisPano_01.jpg

I will not say that this is perfect by any means. This was taken with an X5S using an Olympus 17 MM lens with about 70 images. I shot the 360° pano manually. This image is 30,000 X15,000, don't forget to zoom in and scroll around.

City Of Sanibel, Lighthouse Beach Park, 5-16-17, 1:07 PM, High Tide Is At 3:27 PM | Created By Jim Szabo

Last edited:
Ok, that's the kind of image quality that I was hoping the X5S could achieve. It's not as good as a DSLR but it is definitely nicer than the X4S. I've looked at dozens of X5S images posted by users on multiple forums and I guess none of them showed their best work. Most all of them just weren't sharp or well processed. This is a step in the right direction and nicely done. Thanks for sharing this as it certainly nudges me towards the X5S now. I've visited Sanibel for both work and pleasure but I've never seen it like this.

Ok, that's the kind of image quality that I was hoping the X5S could achieve. It's not as good as a DSLR but it is definitely nicer than the X4S. I've looked at dozens of X5S images posted by users on multiple forums and I guess none of them showed their best work. Most all of them just weren't sharp or well processed. This is a step in the right direction and nicely done. Thanks for sharing this as it certainly nudges me towards the X5S now. I've visited Sanibel for both work and pleasure but I've never seen it like this.

Thanks, I can only imagine if I had the patience and my MacBook pro had a better processor to do this using the raw format. The detail would be outstanding. I have been doing these weekly panos for my community since June of 2016. I think the quality should do more than nudge you to the X5S and multiple lenses for commercial work or if you want the best quality for your own stock. We are not even talking about ProRes or Raw yet.

I hear you loud and clear. I'm relieved a bit now. I was dreading putting $3500 into a lens and accessories only to be constantly disappointed. You've reassured me that the quality is really good. Was looking for you, were you hiding or did you retouch yourself out? I couldn't find a pilot anywhere. I sent this to my in-laws. They used to live on Sanibel about 15-years ago.

I hear you loud and clear. I'm relieved a bit now. I was dreading putting $3500 into a lens and accessories only to be constantly disappointed. You've reassured me that the quality is really good. Was looking for you, were you hiding or did you retouch yourself out? I couldn't find a pilot anywhere. I sent this to my in-laws. They used to live on Sanibel about 15-years ago.

That is funny! I was looking for myself also and saw my silver pickup with the black tonneau cover near the lighthouse. I have a contractors parking permit and can park in non parking areas. My guess is I am hiding in the shade as it is extremely hot right now, under the trees near the maintenance building to the left of my truck very close to the lighthouse basin area.

No retouching as the City of Sanibel wants the water conditions and colors to look as they were on that particular day. I will retouch boat wakes that show up multiple times as I do the pano.

I will not say that this is perfect by any means. This was taken with an X5S using an Olympus 17 MM lens with about 70 images. I shot the 360° pano manually. This image is 30,000 X15,000, don't forget to zoom in and scroll around.

City Of Sanibel, Lighthouse Beach Park, 5-16-17, 1:07 PM, High Tide Is At 3:27 PM | Created By Jim Szabo
Awesome image! What are you using to host your image in that format with the zoom and scroll functionality? URL looks like maybe an amazon cloud? Would love to be able to share some pictures with friends and family like that.

Awesome image! What are you using to host your image in that format with the zoom and scroll functionality? URL looks like maybe an amazon cloud? Would love to be able to share some pictures with friends and family like that.

The panorama was created by using Panotour Pro which allows you to set zoom levels and turns the stitched 360° image into what you see. I use Amazon S3 for hosting the URL that is created by Panotour Pro.

Very clear image. Thanks for sharing. On a side note I see you are part 107 cert pilot. Can you enlighten me on the rules and the need for a waiver when flying over people. thanks

Very clear image. Thanks for sharing. On a side note I see you are part 107 cert pilot. Can you enlighten me on the rules and the need for a waiver when flying over people. thanks

You can read for yourself here, it starts on Page 247, https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/RIN_2120-AJ60_Clean_Signed.pdf. Basically do not fly over people. If you look at my 360 pano and mouse directly below my position you will see dense tree growth and a closed road. I do not think any waivers have been authorized yet for flying over people, I could be mistaken. Amazon will surely need one. Hope this helps.

thanks for the link.
so if i rephrase my question.......
If i send my drone up early in the AM in the corner of a parking lot with no people in it, take a few pictures and come straight down and land it, in your opinion, would this be within the guidelines?

thanks for the link.
so if i rephrase my question.......
If i send my drone up early in the AM in the corner of a parking lot with no people in it, take a few pictures and come straight down and land it, in your opinion, would this be within the guidelines?

Yes, but please do not confuse my answer for legal advice.

Yes, but please do not confuse my answer for legal advice.

So I understand that your not providing legal advice......Who then do you speak with to determine if what I want to to do is within the guidelines? How would you handle this situation?? Would you not do the photo shoot? Who makes the final call on if im doing something legal or not. I'm guessing the FAA. I send this question in to FAAhelp and at some point will get my answer. I guess I wait? Thanks again.

So I understand that your not providing legal advice......Who then do you speak with to determine if what I want to to do is within the guidelines? How would you handle this situation?? Would you not do the photo shoot? Who makes the final call on if im doing something legal or not. I'm guessing the FAA. I send this question in to FAAhelp and at some point will get my answer. I guess I wait? Thanks again.

You are ultimately responsible to make the decision if you are legal or not. Ask yourself some questions, what would happen if my copter crashed when I got to my flying spot, can anyone get injured, will any property be damaged, is there a better spot to fly from, only the Pilot in Command can make these decisions.

Reactions: owenpga

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry