Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

X5S with Olympus 14-42mm II - Issues?

Reaction score
Website
www.aerodroneimagery.com
I recently outfitted my I2 with the X5S and am using the Olympus series lenses. Been having the following issues...
  • Using the 17mm fixed Olympus (DJI listed compatible) lens, the X5S gimble motors would sound like they were still working after initialization for about 3-5 seconds, then stop. Calibrated the gimble, no difference. Decided to fly it after reading a few reviews that stated this was a pootential FW issue, had no problems, everything worked just fine. Started the aircraft up today for a flight, and DJI Go4 popped a message that there was a FW incompatibility. SERIOUSLY? After multiple flights? That didn't get caught earlier? Apparently it FINALLY recognized that I have an X5S and decided it needed an update. Updated it prior to the flight, rebooted the AC, and no noise in the gimble after initialization.
  • Purchased the Olympus 14-42mm (not listed as compatible) lens and received it today. Prior to purchasing, read reviews that stated that it worked in the same configuration (I2 with X5S). Assembled everything to the AC, powered it up, and I get no Zoom slider on the DJI Go4 app. Not sure if this is a compatibility issue, or if there is just something wrong in the system? Spent over an hour on the phone with DJI Tech Support (kind of a joke, pretty sure I knew 100X more than him about DJI systems). Bottom line, no resolution, and no Zoom slider.
Concerning issue 2, I am unsure if there is an issue because there is no way to select between AF and MF on the lens itself? The 17mm fixed lens allows the user to select between AF and MF. The zoom lens does not, and therefore will not allow the user to go in to MF mode without calibrating the lens. I tried to go through the lens calibration process, but it wouldn't let me because it couldn't focus on anything. I know that the 14-42mm zoom lens works with the X5 for the I1, not sure what the hell is up with the I2 and X5S?

As far as the Zoom slider not showing up, not sure why. Is this a compatibility issue? Again, not sure why it is a supported lens for the X5 and not X5S. I will say that when I go in to the camera settings and pull up the Lens Profile, it is recognized for what it is - Olympus 14-42mm. So the gimble / camera recognizes the lens profile accurately.

I am receiving the Olympus 9-18mm (DJI listed compatible) lens tomorrow. My hopes are that the Zoom slider pops right up as it is a DJI X5S listed compatible lens. If anyone has some secrets, way-arounds, etc., I would be forever grateful for some insight. There isn't a lot on the web (that I have found) regarding 'how to's', and DJI has not been very helpful thus far. PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks!

Very Respectfully,

Jason Quickel
Aero-Drone Imagery
Owner / PIC

I recently outfitted my I2 with the X5S and am using the Olympus series lenses. Been having the following issues...
  • Using the 17mm fixed Olympus (DJI listed compatible) lens, the X5S gimble motors would sound like they were still working after initialization for about 3-5 seconds, then stop. Calibrated the gimble, no difference. Decided to fly it after reading a few reviews that stated this was a pootential FW issue, had no problems, everything worked just fine. Started the aircraft up today for a flight, and DJI Go4 popped a message that there was a FW incompatibility. SERIOUSLY? After multiple flights? That didn't get caught earlier? Apparently it FINALLY recognized that I have an X5S and decided it needed an update. Updated it prior to the flight, rebooted the AC, and no noise in the gimble after initialization.
  • Purchased the Olympus 14-42mm (not listed as compatible) lens and received it today. Prior to purchasing, read reviews that stated that it worked in the same configuration (I2 with X5S). Assembled everything to the AC, powered it up, and I get no Zoom slider on the DJI Go4 app. Not sure if this is a compatibility issue, or if there is just something wrong in the system? Spent over an hour on the phone with DJI Tech Support (kind of a joke, pretty sure I knew 100X more than him about DJI systems). Bottom line, no resolution, and no Zoom slider.
Concerning issue 2, I am unsure if there is an issue because there is no way to select between AF and MF on the lens itself? The 17mm fixed lens allows the user to select between AF and MF. The zoom lens does not, and therefore will not allow the user to go in to MF mode without calibrating the lens. I tried to go through the lens calibration process, but it wouldn't let me because it couldn't focus on anything. I know that the 14-42mm zoom lens works with the X5 for the I1, not sure what the hell is up with the I2 and X5S?

As far as the Zoom slider not showing up, not sure why. Is this a compatibility issue? Again, not sure why it is a supported lens for the X5 and not X5S. I will say that when I go in to the camera settings and pull up the Lens Profile, it is recognized for what it is - Olympus 14-42mm. So the gimble / camera recognizes the lens profile accurately.

I am receiving the Olympus 9-18mm (DJI listed compatible) lens tomorrow. My hopes are that the Zoom slider pops right up as it is a DJI X5S listed compatible lens. If anyone has some secrets, way-arounds, etc., I would be forever grateful for some insight. There isn't a lot on the web (that I have found) regarding 'how to's', and DJI has not been very helpful thus far. PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks!

Very Respectfully,

Jason Quickel
Aero-Drone Imagery
Owner / PIC
Welcome to the forum - please note, we do not allow duplicate/multiple postings therefore I have deleted your other thread.

Thank You.

I tried the olimpus pxw 14-42 lens and had lousy results would not balance and difficult to focus then I bought the panasonic pz 14-42 it is excellent. I only use this lens and Because there
Not weather proof and it does get a lot of use I bought a second spare I would like to say what a great job DJI has done with the Inspire 2
Cheers

There are different versions of the Olympus 14-42. I do use 2 versions of the the Olympus 14-42 PanCake without major issues.
The only issue i come across is that the pancake does not fold back after switching of the drone. Since i do use the lens on my Olympus-cameras, I have an automatic cap on the lens, this is kind of ugly.

Thomas

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters