Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

X7 Gimbal Balance Problems

I have purchased 2 lenses, the 16 and the 35. The 16 balances well, but the 35, like other folks, is back heavy. Several times, when starting up, I get a gimbal overload warning, so I want to deal with it. I am working on a workaround with blue tack, but completely around the lens. I wonder if the solution of SanCap will result in a bottom heavy problem for camera roll adjustment by the gimbal?

If you keep them clean you can put multiple ND filters on the front to balance. You could even remove the glass from a UV filter and wrap Gaff tape around the empty ring until it balances perfectly. They you also have a stealth lens hood......

I have to say that having used all the lenses I find this thread a little confusing the gimbal when powered on compensates for the balance, I understand that getting a traditional hand held stabiliser is more an art than anything else people have to remember the forces placed on the lens whilst travelling through the air at speed (even if not in full flight) the wind/vibration and indeed the lack of an aerodynamic profile, places significant forces on the gimbal which I have to say in our experience has been nothing but rock solid across the 4 lenses we use. I will stand corrected if anyone has a scientific proven response but trying to balance out a gimbal with bolt ons and add ons such as blue tac I can't see the effect this will have once the gimbal is powered up and flying through the air! I am prepared to be corrected!

I have to say that having used all the lenses I find this thread a little confusing the gimbal when powered on compensates for the balance, I understand that getting a traditional hand held stabiliser is more an art than anything else people have to remember the forces placed on the lens whilst travelling through the air at speed (even if not in full flight) the wind/vibration and indeed the lack of an aerodynamic profile, places significant forces on the gimbal which I have to say in our experience has been nothing but rock solid across the 4 lenses we use. I will stand corrected if anyone has a scientific proven response but trying to balance out a gimbal with bolt ons and add ons such as blue tac I can't see the effect this will have once the gimbal is powered up and flying through the air! I am prepared to be corrected!
I'm with you. My X5s is MUCH more stable than my Movi IMHO. The point is I believe that the harder a machine works, the faster it wears out. If true, not having to work as hard to hold the lens in position, the longer it should (should) remain in service. That's all.

First of all, I try to not stack filters, because from my photo experience, that multiplies interior reflections in the lens, and maximizes the flaws, because no glass is perfect. With my terraferma cameras, I generally don't use any filters if I can avoid it.
I balanced the 35 with gaffer's tape holding a ring of solder around the outside, but then I began getting gimbal overload when I start up. Just for a second or so, but not happy about that. Seems like a lose - lose.

Agreed. Would be nice if they were designed to balance with a filter in place. That would allow you to use any ND, or just a place holder UV or something and never have to worry about balance. Wadaya want for $1,000's... Hope it all works out...I'm still jealous of your camera.

Found this old thread today. I just rented a complete kit and every single lens needed two of the provided balancing rings PLUS the lens hood which I'd have to tape on because it won't mount with two filters. Any other mix would yield a "Gimbal Motor Overload" message. Not something you want to do too much.

Kinda sucks IMHO

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melodee207