Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

You'll love this tale

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I thought it would be fun to share a story with you guys as a way to introduce myself to the forum.

I live on a boat and I've had a Phantom 1 for a while, I've always wanted to film while the sails are out and the boat is cruising, but due to the many limits of the P1 I never felt I could do it without crashing into the sea.
I am currently in a country where drones are very illegal so that also limits my flying to very remote islands and anchorages.
A couple of months ago, while at anchor with friends we decided to take some night time footage of the boat, a drunk friend of mine was at the controls and due to intoxication and bad battery the P1 crashed in the water... :(
Problem is, we can't easily get a drone into the country, but since we were going to be sailing to another country - where drones are illegal but they don't really know how they look - I decided to have a visiting friend bring me one with him.
Finally, we got the drone (and the friend) and as soon as he arrived we set out to sea. Internet in that place being extremely bad, I had spent the previous day's and nights updating iPad air and downloading dik pilot, also downloading software update for iPhone 5 to use as slave. Read the documentation over and over and was ready for the toy!
So once we were away from civilization, I setup the drone (had fully charged three batteries and the remotes) and realized to my utter dismay that the inspire would not fly before being activated through Internet connection!!!
Ah well, the day after that, we sail back towards the coast to get some 3G signal to activate. After 6 hours we finally get a signal and I place the drone on the deck of the boat and activate it. To test if the activation went well I start the props, the inspire shoots up, hits the shrouds (steel cables that hold the mast) and goes into the sea.
We manage to convince another person to smuggle another Inspire into the country , so I have it replaced but I'm going to wait for an opportunity to fly it on a nice wide dry land area.
I hope you enjoyed the story, glad to join the community.

Hi everyone,

I thought it would be fun to share a story with you guys as a way to introduce myself to the forum.

I live on a boat and I've had a Phantom 1 for a while, I've always wanted to film while the sails are out and the boat is cruising, but due to the many limits of the P1 I never felt I could do it without crashing into the sea.
I am currently in a country where drones are very illegal so that also limits my flying to very remote islands and anchorages.
A couple of months ago, while at anchor with friends we decided to take some night time footage of the boat, a drunk friend of mine was at the controls and due to intoxication and bad battery the P1 crashed in the water... :(
Problem is, we can't easily get a drone into the country, but since we were going to be sailing to another country - where drones are illegal but they don't really know how they look - I decided to have a visiting friend bring me one with him.
Finally, we got the drone (and the friend) and as soon as he arrived we set out to sea. Internet in that place being extremely bad, I had spent the previous day's and nights updating iPad air and downloading dik pilot, also downloading software update for iPhone 5 to use as slave. Read the documentation over and over and was ready for the toy!
So once we were away from civilization, I setup the drone (had fully charged three batteries and the remotes) and realized to my utter dismay that the inspire would not fly before being activated through Internet connection!!!
Ah well, the day after that, we sail back towards the coast to get some 3G signal to activate. After 6 hours we finally get a signal and I place the drone on the deck of the boat and activate it. To test if the activation went well I start the props, the inspire shoots up, hits the shrouds (steel cables that hold the mast) and goes into the sea.
We manage to convince another person to smuggle another Inspire into the country , so I have it replaced but I'm going to wait for an opportunity to fly it on a nice wide dry land area.
I hope you enjoyed the story, glad to join the community.

Sounds like shares in DJI could be worth looking at. Welcome to the forum!

i think we can safely say that, relatively speaking, anyone one this forum owning an inspire is rich.

I enjoyed the story and thanks for sharing. It would be easy to have started a 9 page thread ranting about DJI for the accident and how the inspire doesn't perform correctly on boats, but instead you've used your frustration to turn it into am amusing story. Good luck and I hope you get the footage you want.

nice story :) would like to come for visit... always wanted to do some islandhopping [emoji14]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool