Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Zenmuse X5R: Gamechanger

When it's performing like this I would never update anything again.

Inspire is at the end of its development cycle now so no real need to push for updates.

Enjoy it
I think you may be on to something here and I've been a little suspicious as well. The actual airframe of the Inspire hasn't seen a substantive upgrade since introduction. The X5R is just starting it's commercial cycle and I fully expect to see a new advanced airframe that incorporates obstacle avoidance capabilities and other modifications like larger battery configurations. Kind of like the hybrid offspring of an Inspire and a Matrice that would support the X5-FLIR platforms with an additional FPV camera for dedicated PIC flight independent of the imaging systems. They have the phantom 4 poised to capture the <2kg market that may likely be open to commercialization independent of FAA regulation and something that would replace the S1000 class for high quality imaging that, was as easy to get in the air as a Phantom, would be a natural for the FAA >2kg classes.

Or they could do what they did with the p4 and basically keep it the same with added features.

DJI has been a little "hit or miss" lately, but the X5R looks to be a true game changer. After only using it for 20 minutes, it is clear that this is a huge step up from the X5. The image quality is simply stunning. Compared to the X5...it's day and night.

This is the camera setup I have waited years for. It's finally here. Our 30+ foot CF jib is nearing completetion and the X5R/Osmo adapter works. Finally.

This is a still from a 4096x2160 video. Color graded to my hearts desire.

X5R.jpg

No flickering. No compression issues. Beautiful 24p in RAW. Slow clap for DJI. FINALLY!

Can you please post a video sample of using the x5r with osmo? Also can you show us a picture of it connected to your osmo?

GREAT NEWS!

CHEERS

Not sure about x5r for osmo, there are two small fans which may impact audio. Anyone test the range you still pick that up). Do agree osmo 2 at nab, because current osmo battery life with x5r is not suitable, I suppose they could also just do an updated batt, but given the delays, I suspect greater redesign

Hey there guys! Has any of you upgraded the INspire 1 V 1 (original version) with this X5R cam? If so, did you upgrade the motors or still you can fly with the original ones? Cant wait to get my hands on this toy, but i would love to know about performance etc. No I can shoot aerial with pretty much the same quality as my Red camera. Greetings from Mexico city

I think you may be on to something here and I've been a little suspicious as well. The actual airframe of the Inspire hasn't seen a substantive upgrade since introduction. The X5R is just starting it's commercial cycle and I fully expect to see a new advanced airframe that incorporates obstacle avoidance capabilities and other modifications like larger battery configurations. Kind of like the hybrid offspring of an Inspire and a Matrice that would support the X5-FLIR platforms with an additional FPV camera for dedicated PIC flight independent of the imaging systems. They have the phantom 4 poised to capture the <2kg market that may likely be open to commercialization independent of FAA regulation and something that would replace the S1000 class for high quality imaging that, was as easy to get in the air as a Phantom, would be a natural for the FAA >2kg classes.

I respectfully disagree that's what's needed (X5R equip aircraft with obstacle avoidance).

Although DJI may wholeheartedly agree. Plus FaceBook streaming, emoticon editing, Twitter-Instagram clip posting, GEO fencing that publishes your exact whereabouts on startup to a public website without giving you the opt-out, etc.

Reactions: gruvpix
Will hopefully have some example shots from the Osmo/30 ft crane set up shortly. Been hectic the past few days preparing for a shoot.
Understood. Youre a great person for updating us. Could you at least take 30 seconds and post a quick pic of the osmo + x5r you have? I think thats the least you can do to settle our first exciting jitters? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D..................

theoretically, maybe, but in reallity, the difference is minimal. the resultats in pictures are equivalent. In video RAW , you have a difference, but if you watch separetly the both..you will be amazed at your hesitation ..
I understand professionals who must work "brodcast"

sorry for my english , i speak french

No flickering. No compression issues. Beautiful 24p in RAW. Slow clap for DJI. FINALLY!
Hello Luke,
May I ask you for some details and confirmation - did you try to shoot in low light with ISO 800 and 1600, and how was a shadow noise in such shots? Was there any horizontal banding in shadows (as it is present even in X5 photos) or shadow filckering at higher ISO?

We have taken the X5 and looked at it and compared it to the X5-R after we saw a interesting post about someone who had done the same and found that it might look like the X5 is 60Mbps because of the speed of the Micro SD cards where as the drive on the X5-R can take a lot of more data.

It looks like they are on to something as to what we have found. Sandisk are coming out with some super speed cards this summer and if this is so a code rewrite to the firmware might open the X5 to a X5-R. Just to be clear we are not sure we at this point think it might be!!

When it comes to filming with the X5 and the X5-R I find the X5 works fine for even advanced color editing in SMOKE and also in After Effects using like RED GIANTS Magic Bullet package. But when like night filming and other bad light locations the X5-R gives you that extra edge. I would not say its like night and day. The high data from the X5-R is for me the issue. Then again you cant get one without the other :) But filming large projects. Then making sure you have redundant backup on site + at the studio and workflow between offices and storage after completing the project becomes an "issue". HD are cheep now days and we have huge raids but we all know the danger that fire or other tings can cause to local stored files. And clouding like a few hundred TB does not come cheep. I keep reading about down rendering and deleting the RAW files. Why would you need a X5-R for then? I downrender for faster workflow in Smoke/AE and other but always replace with the original files when rendering.

So now we choose X5 or X5-R by what project or what asset we need to film. And so its clear I LOVE THE X5-R!!!! :-D

We have taken the X5 and looked at it and compared it to the X5-R after we saw a interesting post about someone who had done the same and found that it might look like the X5 is 60Mbps because of the speed of the Micro SD cards where as the drive on the X5-R can take a lot of more data.

It looks like they are on to something as to what we have found. Sandisk are coming out with some super speed cards this summer and if this is so a code rewrite to the firmware might open the X5 to a X5-R. Just to be clear we are not sure we at this point think it might be!!

When it comes to filming with the X5 and the X5-R I find the X5 works fine for even advanced color editing in SMOKE and also in After Effects using like RED GIANTS Magic Bullet package. But when like night filming and other bad light locations the X5-R gives you that extra edge. I would not say its like night and day. The high data from the X5-R is for me the issue. Then again you cant get one without the other :) But filming large projects. Then making sure you have redundant backup on site + at the studio and workflow between offices and storage after completing the project becomes an "issue". HD are cheep now days and we have huge raids but we all know the danger that fire or other tings can cause to local stored files. And clouding like a few hundred TB does not come cheep. I keep reading about down rendering and deleting the RAW files. Why would you need a X5-R for then? I downrender for faster workflow in Smoke/AE and other but always replace with the original files when rendering.

So now we choose X5 or X5-R by what project or what asset we need to film. And so its clear I LOVE THE X5-R!!!! :-D
No, the bitrate of the X5 CANNOT be increased. Irrespective of what speed media is put into it.
The hardware architecture is already maxed out and simply can not be taken higher via firmware.

Luke thats is a lovely example of what it is capable of with filming, thanks for sharing. I am in such a dilemma with whether I need to get the x5r or not (well I think its more trying to justify why I need it). The firmware updates with the x5 have been terrible, although the latest update I am finding superb, and even though there has been absolutely no affect on stills, image quality from filming has been up and down, but looking very very positive with the latest firmware.

The ability to work with RAW video files is just so tempting. I think my only concern is because of the redundancy of just being on a quad, but then I never hear of inspire motors failing or phantoms, the real issue most of the time is with batteries or human error.

I think what would be interesting is being able to play with a file saved as DLOG onto the SD card and also the RAW just to see how much better it is when grading. In terms of comparing it to RAW and JPEG in stills is definitely a good shout. The low bitrate is the X5`s achillies heel, but then realistically I have never found it an issue and had no complaints from editors either.

No, the bitrate of the X5 CANNOT be increased. Irrespective of what speed media is put into it.
The hardware architecture is already maxed out and simply can not be taken higher via firmware.

And also 60 Mbps is no issues for current cards, 7.5MBps is easily achievable even if you take some of the 40-90MBps quotes specs with a pinch of salt

Simple issue of no alternative SOC, Amba have an announcement to release time scale that's measured by geology, The A9 is just not capable of producing what we now want, The H1 was announced Jan 15 so we may see that by year end.

The H2 won't hit the streets before mid 2018 likely.

Rumours of the next GoPro only having the H1

Panasonic or Sony need to push out a sensor and SOC package for this market and they would kill Ambarella

Last edited:
Reactions: The Editor

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unitedconveyormktg