Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

1.11 X3 Downgrade

Reaction score
Hey guys, I got my bird a few weeks ago with 1.8 and she flew great. As soon as I upgraded immediately started having video problems. I went the orig route of just putting the 1.10 firmware on the card but there was a failure to downgrade and I couldn't find anyone who figured out how to downgrade from 1.11 so I did a lot of googling and figured it out and thought i'd share for anyone interested.

After watching this video I knew I wanted to go back!

NOTE: Attempt at your own risk! I've only tested this on mine.
NOTE 2: I've only tested this with an X3 camera.

First download the firmware from Inspire 1 - Specs, FAQ, manual, video tutorials and DJI GO - DJI

Second, create a new file on the root of the SD Card Called "WM610_FW_DEBUG" with NO extension.

Then just put the SD Card in and she'll go. Took about 40 mins for mine to finish and the log never actually said that it succeeded. From there you can downgrade the other firmware's without the debug file.

I just tried this method of downgrading.
I was running on firmware 1.10 and had tried to roll back to 1.9 without success.
Your method worked for me rolling back to 1.9, but... I ended up with a trashed TB47 battery, the battery would not shut down after the the downgrade and non of the led lights worked, I had to unplug the battery to shut down the bird.
I plugged in one of my TB48 batteries and rebooted to find the downgrade had worked!
I have now rolled back to firmware 1.8 - Hooray!.
After doing the IMU and compass calibrations, I test flew the bird and all is well.
Thanks for sharing this.
Now to see if I can get the TB47 working again.....

Reactions: Donnie Frank
Wonder what happened to the battery? They have their own firmware from what I hear. I wonder if they get updated during the process as well?

It could be that the TB47 was not quite up to scratch, when I plugged it in, I recall seeing the led flash on and then off again almost like I had pushed the on/off button .. So maybe it was already on its way out?

TB47 is working again.
I just plugged it back into the Inspire and ran the 1.8 firmware update file which has battery firmware included, after a few minutes the update completed and the TB47 was fixed.
I have tested it by flying the bird until I was forced to land because of low battery warning, I allowed the battery to cool down and plugged it into the charger... Fully charged now and good as new.

Okay, I just carried out an experiment to see if I could downgrade 2 versions in one step.
I first upgraded the Inspire to WM610_FW_V01.10.01.40.
Next I put firmware WM610_FW_V01.08.01.00 and the WM610_FW_DEBUG (blank file with no file extension) onto the SD card and using my TB47 battery, I started the Inspire.
The downgrade ran for a long time and the Inspire restarted 3 times during the process.
When I heard the sound change to 1 long and 2 short beeps (indicating it had completed the task) I turned off the Inspire and inspected the log files.
The log files showed that the downgrade had completed successfully and more importantly, my TB47 was in good order.
So, it appears that you need to use a firmware that includes the battery firmware to avoid the battery error I had when I first tried this.
In the about section of the DJI App I have..
App Version 3.1.13
Aircraft Version 1.8.1.00
Remote Controller Version 1.6.0
Camera Version 1.8.1.00

Last edited:
Good to know! Awesome we got this problem worked out. However I'm still having a problem with Image transmission. I did read where you should do a controller reset and Aircraft reset also. So i'm going to attempt that tomorrow and see how it goes!

What controller version and App version are you running on?
I am running on:
App Version 3.1.13
Camera Version 1.8.1.00

My image transmission problems have gone!

Last edited:
I'd love to try this to go back to 1.8 but after the last update killed my X5 I'm reluctant to firmware upgrade or downgrade ever again.

This procedure is for the X3 camera, if using the X5 camera the empty file should be named WM610_FC550_FW_DEBUG

Avia
This procedure is for the X3 camera, if using the X5 camera the empty file should be named WM610_FC550_FW_DEBUG
Sorry for the delay. I have a 3 week old and a ton of family stuff going on. I had some time to work on her again and this is what i found.

Once the downgrade finished I still needed to reset the RC due to some settings I think. I followed the steps i found over on the DJI site and it looks like everything is good now! - Scratch that, I am getting video with just poor radio signal. But it could be due to wireless interference. (I have alot of wireless in the house) Going to a field to try tonight.

Steps:
Try to reset the RC:
* Turn on the controller, and the aircraft should be off.
* Press C1, C2, and shutter on the controller then turn the controller off.
* Turn on both the aircraft and the controller and link the remote.

After that, I would recommend relinking the RC to the aircraft using the following:

* Turn on both the aircraft and the controller.
* Press C1, C2, and the record button on the controller, then the controller will beep like D-DD.
*Let go all fingers, press the wheel on the right side of the controller and then the first light of the controller will become blue and it will constantly beep DDDD.
* Use a pen to click the linking button on the aircraft and hold for 3-5 seconds, and then take the pen off the aircraft and wait, it will be linked soon.

Also:
I am running on:
App Version 3.1.15
Aircraft Version 1.8.1.00+
Camera Version 1.8.1.00

I'd love to try this to go back to 1.8 but after the last update killed my X5 I'm reluctant to firmware upgrade or downgrade ever again.

You bricked your X5? do you still have it? I could try a few things if it's just sitting on the shelf collecting dust?

Avia

Sorry for the delay. I have a 3 week old and a ton of family stuff going on. I had some time to work on her again and this is what i found.

Once the downgrade finished I still needed to reset the RC due to some settings I think. I followed the steps i found over on the DJI site and it looks like everything is good now! - Scratch that, I am getting video with just poor radio signal. But it could be due to wireless interference. (I have alot of wireless in the house) Going to a field to try tonight.

Steps:
Try to reset the RC:
* Turn on the controller, and the aircraft should be off.
* Press C1, C2, and shutter on the controller then turn the controller off.
* Turn on both the aircraft and the controller and link the remote.

After that, I would recommend relinking the RC to the aircraft using the following:

* Turn on both the aircraft and the controller.
* Press C1, C2, and the record button on the controller, then the controller will beep like D-DD.
*Let go all fingers, press the wheel on the right side of the controller and then the first light of the controller will become blue and it will constantly beep DDDD.
* Use a pen to click the linking button on the aircraft and hold for 3-5 seconds, and then take the pen off the aircraft and wait, it will be linked soon.

Also:
I am running on:
App Version 3.1.15
Aircraft Version 1.8.1.00+
Camera Version 1.8.1.00
Your App needs to be version 3.1.13 - see this thread for rolling back the App
DJI Go 2.5 Updated
look for post #37

Your App needs to be version 3.1.13 - see this thread for rolling back the App
DJI Go 2.5 Updated
look for post #37

So Good news and bad...
Bad: Itunes 12 doesn't allow you to download apps and Itunes 11 is not easy to find a legit copy. I was working on using fiddler and doing the same thing straight to the iPad but that was proving troublesome. Going to work on this at a later time.

Good: I think even though the app is 3.1.15 the only problem i have is the "Warning" about distance, which from what I have read is just DJI wanting to force an update (Exactly how I got here). But I hear it's not enforced so I'm going to test today.

Good2: The Image Transmission problems "Seems" to have gone away so long as i do the following procedure:
1. Turn on RC
2. Turn on Aircraft
3. Wait for full connection
4. Start app

Going to test today and see how it fairs!

You don't need to worry about legit copies of iTunes, Apple will let you download older versions.
Apple - Support - Downloads
Incidentally, this is what I did with iTunes, I downloaded an older version and set it to not update.
I also set my iPad to not auto update the DJI App (in the iPad settings section).
If or When you manage to roll back your App, it would be a good idea to create a backup in iTunes.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I got my bird a few weeks ago with 1.8 and she flew great. As soon as I upgraded immediately started having video problems. I went the orig route of just putting the 1.10 firmware on the card but there was a failure to downgrade and I couldn't find anyone who figured out how to downgrade from 1.11 so I did a lot of googling and figured it out and thought i'd share for anyone interested.

After watching this video I knew I wanted to go back!

NOTE: Attempt at your own risk! I've only tested this on mine.
NOTE 2: I've only tested this with an X3 camera.

First download the firmware from Inspire 1 - Specs, FAQ, manual, video tutorials and DJI GO - DJI

Second, create a new file on the root of the SD Card Called "WM610_FW_DEBUG" with NO extension.

Then just put the SD Card in and she'll go. Took about 40 mins for mine to finish and the log never actually said that it succeeded. From there you can downgrade the other firmware's without the debug file.

So....the secret to breaking through the firmware v1.11 barrier is the "WM610_FW_DEBUG" file? Interesting!

Do we create this file in Notepad, but then remove the ".txt" extension? If not, which program did you use to create the file?

Thanx a ton for this information. I'm going to amend the Description section of my video to include this never information.

Okay, I just carried out an experiment to see if I could downgrade 2 versions in one step.
I first upgraded the Inspire to WM610_FW_V01.10.01.40.
Next I put firmware WM610_FW_V01.08.01.00 and the WM610_FW_DEBUG (blank file with no file extension) onto the SD card and using my TB47 battery, I started the Inspire.
The downgrade ran for a long time and the Inspire restarted 3 times during the process.
When I heard the sound change to 1 long and 2 short beeps (indicating it had completed the task) I turned off the Inspire and inspected the log files.
The log files showed that the downgrade had completed successfully and more importantly, my TB47 was in good order.
So, it appears that you need to use a firmware that includes the battery firmware to avoid the battery error I had when I first tried this.
In the about section of the DJI App I have..
App Version 3.1.13
Camera Version 1.8.1.00

This is GREAT information. THIS is what these forums are about!

Reactions: CopterBob

FWIW, after downgrading from v1.10 to v1.08, my X3 AND X5 cameras worked flawlessly on TWO birds. That said, I DID NOT downgrade from v1.11 like some of these other guys.

Reactions: CopterBob
Dji replaced it for free. There was nothing that could be done as an end user.

If they replaced it, then I'm willing to bet you didn't break it. I don't think they would replace it if they could put the blame on your or your firmware changes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry