Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Another firmware update problem :(

From my experience with DJI, I was always able to get through late in the afternoon West coast time. ( I did get hung up on once) Good Luck man....
QUOTE="Gerken, post: 61293, member: 24464"]Aviator, I appreciate the offer, but at this point I'm not going to touch it until I can talk to the dji guys.

I don't want to have to tell them I've been trying to use patches from random people online. :)

I've no doubt of your intentions and it's probably a good idea, but I want to talk to them before I branch out that far from the prescribed update procedure.[/QUOTE]

Another minor update. I haven't had a chance to talk to anyone from the LA office yet, but did use the livechat support on their web site. After looking at the log form the hidden folder they said that the camera was bad. It literally took them less than a minute from receiving the file, so I guess it's pretty clear in the log if you know what to look for.

I have an open ticket with the LA office, I suppose if they don't reply to it by tomorrow, (it's been a few days), I'll try and take some time off around lunch and call them.

Reactions: turbodronepilot
Steve, I'm very frustrated, but I am not pissed.

Here's how I see it at the moment. I crashed my drone. Which is why it was in for repair in the first place. That was 100% my fault. After that they repaired it for free. Which they did not have to do considering the damage was user error.

What I am frustrated by is the fact that their office hours make it hard for me to get time to sit on the phone with tech support, their firmware update process is flakey enough that it's not immediately clear if it is a hardware problem or not when it fails, and I their repairs take a looooong time if you do have to send it in.

But, considering that they repaired it for free, and I have no reason to suspect that they won't stand by the camera they just sent me, I can't be pissed. **** happens, any company that gives free repairs has earned the right to be forgiven some frustration in my mind.

Reactions: Aviator
...I wish I knew of a way to check to see if all the pins are connecting. .like paint or something. ..

Turbo, you can use Prussian blue (used for metal scraping & engine valves, etc.) to transfer the exact point contact from the spring hinged pins to the PCB gold pads. AutoZone, AdvancedAuto, or PepBoys should carry it, comes in a tube, a blue paste & a little will go a long ways.

Wormwood

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    949 KB · Views: 7
Turbo, you can use Prussian blue (used for metal scraping & engine valves, etc.) to transfer the exact point contact from the spring hinged pins to the PCB gold pads. AutoZone, AdvancedAuto, or PepBoys should carry it, comes in a tube, a blue paste & a little will go a long ways.

Wormwood
Another name for it is "Engineers Blue"

Their policies are whats killing everything. Shipping everything to CA. and taking 3 months to get anything back. Long story shorten. I bought a bad TB48 battery it caused a takeoff, crashed, sent to CA, got a new one 3+ months later, put in same battery it went from 65% to 2% causing a hard landing but no damage "very lucky" because I was landing anyway. I call Graves in Orlando where I bought battery thinking they could take it back. They told me DJI wouldn't work with them and they were dropping them because there customer service was very important. So I called DJI, they confirm what Graves told me about exchanging. Battery shipping policy is same as the I1, cost 70 bucks with no guarantee of replacement without charging me for repairs. Paid 200 + 13 tax shipping 70 dollars plus being without it for 3+ months I told them to shove it. I love the platform and what they're doing with it but if you can't have better backing than what they're doing with the cost of their product I think they're heading for a hard landing.

What was the nature of your original repair, did it have anything to do with repairing the gimbal/camera. The reason why I asked is a year ago on my first flight I crashed damaging the gimbal mount and camera. It went in for service and was returned to me three weeks later a week later the camera malfunctions, won't sink with the rc. Other cameras did. My original fix they replaced the camera with a refurbished camera that had its own problems anyway the camera went too repair and I'm assuming I received a new camera everything is working fine. See if you can find someone else close with the inspire camera and plug that camera into your system and see if it works. Hope this helps !
Let me know.

The original repair should have included camera/gimble work. It was not functioning correctly. When I got it all back from repair I noticed that the camera had a scuff on it. So it's either a refurb or my original camera repaired.

I don't know anyone else with an inspire in my area, but I'm sure there must be some out there.

Hopefully dji will respond to my ticket soon.

So I finally got a response from the ticket i had open. But the response doesn't seen very helpful to me at all. And upon responding they closed the ticket as though it was all solved. :(

Here is the response I got:

------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for contacting DJI North America.

I understand your frustration in this matter, I am happy to assist with any issue you may have.

The firm ware update can right now be updated through the app on certain devices such as: the "Phantom 3 Standard" and its remote, the transmitter/remote is for the "Inspire 1", However this depends on the model #. It starts with "GL###A or B" if it is B it will update through the app, if it is A the traditional way. The transmitter requires the firmware 1.3 only, The controller/transmitter may come unbound during the process please refer to the user manual on "binding the controller". The craft is the only thing right now that needs to be updated to 1.4 you do need to apply the other updates in sequence for this to work i.e if it is 1.2 then you upgrade 1.3 to 1.4, we do not recommend that you jump firmware upgrades. the controller needs to be off when updating the craft and the battery over 75%. Please refer to the user manual on our website under you crafts product tab under downloads link , and use it in conjunction with the videos on the website under the videos link. or use the DJI wiki page lots of useful information about your specific craft and flight modes and other features.

If you would like to try these steps provided and then if no success please reply to this email with your address and phone #, I will be happy to start to process this as a repair request.

Thank you for flying DJI
------------------------------------------------------

A couple things.

1) I do have the version of controller that ends in B, so in theory I can update using the controller.

2) I have no idea how to use the controller and app to update the drone it self. I don't see that detailed in any of their documentation or videos.

Does anyone know where I can find information on this process? They specifically mention that the rc has to be off, but with it off I don't understand how to use the app to update the drone...

Anyway I replied to the email from them with my concerns and my contact info. I hope that it is read by a real person, this one feels like it's cut and paste by someone who barely read my ticket and just sent a form response to any firmware related tickets.

The RC is the only device that will be able to be upgraded from the App.
The AC will need to be upgraded in the traditional way (SD card).

Okay something else for you to try...
Download Inspire 1 Firmware v1.2.1.06 from DJI website and put the bin file onto your empty SD card, move the Inspire to a location that is well away from any possible radio interference and see if it will update, regardless of it upgrading or not, read the text message from the card..
If the text message reports same FW on card and AC, delete all on the card and download Inspire 1 Firmware v1.3.0.00 and repeat the process.
If successful upgrade to FW 1.3, repeat with FW 1.4.

My app is on version 2.1.0 which seems current.

If I don't get another response from dji by tonight I'll try the 1.2.1.06 firmware. I believe I already tried that, but I don't recall what the log said afterwards, and I don't know how to guarantee that I don't have radio interference happening in my house.

Hopefully they'll respond to my email and give better directions. I really doesn't seem like they read my ticket at all.

My app is on version 2.1.0 which seems current.

If I don't get another response from dji by tonight I'll try the 1.2.1.06 firmware. I believe I already tried that, but I don't recall what the log said afterwards, and I don't know how to guarantee that I don't have radio interference happening in my house.

Hopefully they'll respond to my email and give better directions. I really doesn't seem like they read my ticket at all.
If necessary or if you are unsure, move the inspire outside whilst you attempt an upgrade.

Welp that didn't work. I really think as the live chat guy said, my camera is bad.
And after their frustrating inadequate response to my ticket they closed it, I asked for a follow up and they closed that without comment.

Aaaand, it's going back to their repair facility. :( At least this time they are projecting a 2-3 week turn around instead of a 6 week one.

Yeah, I expect they will use the camera patch file to update the camera and that will allow all other modules to be updated...

Hi - I've followed this post because we were having the exact same problem. I tried the suggestions posted with the same lack of results. This may not be THE fix but, in our case, I normally do my aircraft/battery firmware updates without using the remotes - which means our Inspire is on a stand I rigged and in "travel mode."

This hasn't been a problem in the past, but DJI told me today that's why FW 1.4 wasn't uploading. I tried with the unit in "landing mode" and the firmware uploaded right away.

My apologies for assuming no one already though of this, but just in case...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
THE FLYING LIZARD