Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Anything I can learn before purchasing used I1?

Reaction score
Hey all,
I've been flying a Mavic Pro for a couple of years and have started looking to upgrade.
I've come across an Inspire 1 with x5 camera for a nearly unbelievably good price. It's a 6 hr drive away but worth it to me if it's for real.
The seller days that it was an impulse buy a few years ago and it's never been flown, photos seem consistent with this.
Is there anything I can do now or at the time of purchase to figure out of the drone has been activated with DJI and if it is DJI Care eligible?
Thank you,
John

Hey all,
I've been flying a Mavic Pro for a couple of years and have started looking to upgrade.
I've come across an Inspire 1 with x5 camera for a nearly unbelievably good price. It's a 6 hr drive away but worth it to me if it's for real.
The seller days that it was an impulse buy a few years ago and it's never been flown, photos seem consistent with this.
Is there anything I can do now or at the time of purchase to figure out of the drone has been activated with DJI and if it is DJI Care eligible?
Thank you,
John
I recently purchased a used Inspire 1. With X3, X5 lenses as well as three additional lenses at a great price. The main issue of course will be batteries. See how many charges there are, and how many batteries are being offered. If it has not been flown or been shelved for a long time what is the status of the batteries ? They are not easy to come by and quite expensive when you do find them. We talkin to $200 range Plus. Make sure it can calibrate and make sure it performs all movements to your satisfaction. I would also make sure that it works on your tablet or phone. Go ahead and download the app for the I1. It should be tested with your device. Otherwise, I've been pleased with what I got but I know replacement and repair would be a real issue.

Fly time will be better with the two.
Stability is better. Do some research.
Just my opinion, and I do make mistakes.

Hey all,
Thank you,
John

Make sure the firmware is NOT 1.11.xx. If it is, don't buy it. In a nutshell, firmware v1.08.xx is the sweet spot. If the bird has v1.10.xx, you can roll back to v1.08.xx. If the firmware is v1.11.xx, you can NOT roll back the firmware and will be stuck with all manner of problems.

Good luck.

D

Make sure the firmware is NOT 1.11.xx. If it is, don't buy it. In a nutshell, firmware v1.08.xx is the sweet spot. If the bird has v1.10.xx, you can roll back to v1.08.xx. If the firmware is v1.11.xx, you can NOT roll back the firmware and will be stuck with all manner of problems.

Good luck.

D
Perfect thank you that’s exactly what I was looking for

Care to expand on that at all?
If you're not doing serious pro work, no need for the I2. I have the I1 with the x3, z3, x5 camera's and LOVE the bird!! It's just so much fun to fly! It's a serious bird, you have to be careful! It's a whole new ballgame when you have 7 pounds doing over 40 mph!! It you can get it a a great price, jump on it! Fantastic bird!!

Reactions: madgadget

Good luck.

D
I've had ZERO issues on the 1.11.xx FW!! DJI detuned the speed but it's still fast!! You can roll back the FW with a mod!

Reactions: Donnie Frank
Well, I went for it and now own an Inspire Pro with plastic wrap, unopened parts baggies and one dead battery.
I'm convinced that this was purchased new and never even taken out of the case.
Having been unused for 4 years the one battery is completely dead and I've joined the chorus of "WTB TB47-TB48" in the Classified section. Any leads would be appreciated.
I'll be lurking until I get in the air. Thanks for all the responses.

John

Well, I went for it and now own an Inspire Pro with plastic wrap, unopened parts baggies and one dead battery.
I'm convinced that this was purchased new and never even taken out of the case.
Having been unused for 4 years the one battery is completely dead and I've joined the chorus of "WTB TB47-TB48" in the Classified section. Any leads would be appreciated.
I'll be lurking until I get in the air. Thanks for all the responses.

John
Congrats on getting your new Inspire 1 I went with the TB48 battery for extra flight time I don't have the pro model but am very happy with mine

Reactions: John Gullam
DEFINITELY go with the TB-48's!! Big difference!! I'm getting 5 minutes or better! Even if your 47's are still good and you can find even some low cycle 48's or new, go for it!

I've had ZERO issues on the 1.11.xx FW!! DJI detuned the speed but it's still fast!! You can roll back the FW with a mod!

No video feed issues @ 2,000' out? Here's absolute proof that DJI bogged the Inspire 1's video feed @ v1.10.xx.

You say you can roll back the FW, but that has not been my experience. Please either share your personal experience rolling back FW v1.11.xx or link to a site that explains how to do it.

Thanx.

D

No video feed issues @ 2,000' out? Here's absolute proof that DJI bogged the Inspire 1's video feed @ v1.10.xx.

You say you can roll back the FW, but that has not been my experience. Please either share your personal experience rolling back FW v1.11.xx or link to a site that explains how to do it.

Thanx.

D
I've had no issues at all. Even at long distances. I was talking to a guy that does fw mods for all of DJI birds. He said he could do it. I was looking at getting back to the higher speeds before DJI detuned it. IT's my understanding that bird will do well into the upper 50's with the mod. Never got it done, he got busy, but I still may try sometime. It can be done, just a bit over my head right now when it comes to FW modding!! I'll find the guys site and send it to ya! Bolton

I've had no issues at all. Even at long distances.

Are you sure you're running FW v1.11.xx??? Can you show a screen shot of your "About" page in the Go App?

I was talking to a guy that does fw mods for all of DJI birds. He said he could do it.

With all due respect, that's hearsay. I attempted a roll back on a friend's Inspire 1 for about 4 hours with no luck. Other Inspire owners have confirmed the same failed attempts in the comments section of my YouTube video. I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm just saying that there's no evidence for it. I'd like to see some evidence.

I was looking at getting back to the higher speeds before DJI detuned it. IT's my understanding that bird will do well into the upper 50's with the mod.

In this video I got mine up to 65+ mph with a tail wind.

My world record is 75 MPH.

1577902322754.png

Never got it done, he got busy, but I still may try sometime. It can be done, just a bit over my head right now when it comes to FW modding!! I'll find the guys site and send it to ya! Bolton

Please do. I'm very interested in seeing what he came up with.

D

Are you sure you're running FW v1.11.xx??? Can you show a screen shot of your "About" page in the Go App?

With all due respect, that's hearsay. I attempted a roll back on a friend's Inspire 1 for about 4 hours with no luck. Other Inspire owners have confirmed the same failed attempts in the comments section of my YouTube video. I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm just saying that there's no evidence for it. I'd like to see some evidence.

In this video I got mine up to 65+ mph with a tail wind.

My world record is 75 MPH.

View attachment 27691

Please do. I'm very interested in seeing what he came up with.

D
What FW are you on?? What's your no wind speed?? I'm only getting 45. I want more, he said he could do it!! Whether it's a parameter mod or FW rollback, I have no idea, I don't care, I just want more speed!

What FW are you on??

v1.08.xx.

What's your no wind speed??

In ATTI mode, over 50 mph.

I'm only getting 45. I want more, he said he could do it!!

This thread is about purchasing a used Inspire 1, which has progressed to a firmware discussion. If you want to discuss speed modifications, you should start your own thread.

Whether it's a parameter mod or FW rollback, I have no idea, I don't care, I just want more speed!

Okay....well....you've digressed this discussion off the original topic, back-peddled your original FW assertions, and hijacked the thread for your own purposes. Start a new thread. Any discussion of speed modification is just clogging this thread.

D

Reactions: The Editor
Hey all,
Thank you,
John

It very much depend on what job/work you are after for making the right choise.
Overal i1 and i2 are ment for dual operator use.
If you are not going for interchangable lenses or dual operator work then consider buying mavic 2 pro.

I personaly am still flying with i1 and x5r (raw), this is because I need raw video in 4K, this is the minimum to take a part in a tv/film production in my country.

Equiping i2 for my job with all the needed stuff like raw license and SSD's is cracking the roof for me with almost 10000 euro total (for the bird, second controller, x5s, dng license, 480gb SSD as well batteries (atleast 5 pairs), chargers and etc., and that's the minimum! Depend on the job type there should be more batteries and SSD's. The only option for upgrade is to go for x7, which will add 5000 euro for the camera and lenses.

If you think the x5 camera is good enough for what you're planning to do then the only thing you should be aware is the batteries for i1, they have become hard to be found.

If you have the money then you should consider going for i2 and x5s (around 5000 euro). Yes, you will definitely pay more but the investment is much worthy because:
i2 have almost double flight time than i1pro
x5s is better than x5 (a little bigger sensor and it can shoot 60fps in UHD)
later can upgrade to RAW license and buy SSD's
there are still batteries out there for the i2
i2 have obstacle avoidance
i2 is not outdated and still supported
dji go4 app is better than dji go (inspire 1 works with dji go app where some new features are missing)
overal the feeling for upgrade will be fulfiled :)

X5 camera for i1 is not a big deal, records video in h264 format and the only good thing over the x3 camera is that it supports different lenses. But it's definitely better than MavicPro camera in any way.
You can use x5 on dji osmo handle ( another dji's hole where you can toss a lot of money for accessories).

If you haven't used camera with interchangable lenses it will take some time till you learn how to use and select them wisely for the perfect shot. I1 with x5 is actually the cheapest start for learning to shoot with different lenses.

In short,
In my opinion if you're not going to use that professionally and don't need interchangable lenses then go and buy mavic 2 pro, if you need to learn using different lenses then go for the i1 but first find a shop near you that still sells tb48 batteries otherwise the i1 will gather dust at home. I2 bundle is ment for professionall work if there is RAW or Prores, otherwise it's just a big overpriced bird for recreational.

For the second hand i1, check in airdata.com how many hours on the bird (100 hours is not bad), check the life of the batteries (over 75% battery life will do the job), get new props for it.

Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop