Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Apparently I'm More of a N00b Than I Thought!

Reaction score
Just got a used Inspire 1 and the Go app says "remote controller signal weak"...what does that mean?

I turn the controller on first, then turn the bird on...the app says the Inspire is connected but flashes red as in the attached picture.

e96a66bc5c4e5ea96ff87d3abf08f7a8.jpg

--Brent
Play 5 Multimedia LLC

Last edited:
So, the obvious questions are; where did you do this? On a metal table? What are the position of the RC antenna and distance from I1? Give us some context of what, where you're doing this. From looks of the screen capture your RC never connected with the airframe.

The bird was on my back patio. I was standing maybe 4 or 5 yards from it.

I charged all the batteries, set the bird on the concrete patio, turn the controller on and wait for the DJI Go app to pop up and get connected. Then I turn the bird on, it makes its "I'm alive" sounds and the light on the back turns blue. It says the bird is connected but I still get the red message saying "remote controller signal weak". Oddly, it even says the bird is connected even when I turn the bird off and take the battery out...so...not sure what's up with that.

Is there a way to wipe everything out and start fresh? I'd like to factory reset it all, update all the firmware and get it all set back up correctly so I know it's done right.

I haven't updated anything...yet. That's a good place to start?

--Brent
Play 5 Multimedia LLC

Last edited:
Yup...I'm thoroughly confused. The app says "Aircraft Connected"...

Connected???

...even when the bird is off...

I follow the directions in the video from DJI for pairing the controller to the bird and, when I get to the "linking RC" part, it just says "Confirm Frequency Settings?". I tap "OK", and that's it. Nothing else happens.

Every time I turn the controller on and go the the "Remote Controller Settings" window, it says "Off" for function...

Controller Settings

...regardless of how many times I set it to master.

As for firmware, this is what I have now:

Firmware and it says it's up to date.

No idea which need updating (if any) since, according to the DJI site, the latest version for the controller is 1.3.00. This is saying I have "1.7.40+"? That makes no sense...

Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated. I never thought this would be such a pain to get up and running...first day I've had it and I'm not even going to get to fly it. Lame.

When you start the DJI Go app and with the Inspire 1 turned on there is a dropdown menu on the home page about what the controller should control (osmo, phantom, magic, inspire and son on) make sure Inspire 1 is selected. It should be automatic when you turn the bird on but sometime you never know.

When you start the DJI Go app and with the Inspire 1 turned on there is a dropdown menu on the home page about what the controller should control (osmo, phantom, magic, inspire and son on) make sure Inspire 1 is selected. It should be automatic when you turn the bird on but sometime you never know.

Right. Got that already. As soon as the app and controller get all started up, it pops up to Inspire 1 on that screen. What's really confusing though is that it says "Aircraft Connected" in that screen even when the bird's off, battery's out, whatever...doesn't matter. It always says it's connected. See the screenshot above.

Thanks!!

I figured you did know, I wanted to make sure.
Also make sure you look at the the right kind of Inspire 1 (X3, X5, X5R) for the latest firmware.
I was getting frustrated on an update until I realized I was trying to update my bird with the wrong firmware.
Also be sure to update the bird first.

I figured you did know, I wanted to make sure.
Also make sure you look at the the right kind of Inspire 1 (X3, X5, X5R) for the latest firmware.
I was getting frustrated on an update until I realized I was trying to update my bird with the wrong firmware.
Also be sure to update the bird first.

Got ya. I have no IDEA what version the bird is running. How do I find out?

Oh...and...greetings from Phoenix, neighbor. lol

Yea, Phoenix, cool.
You should find out from the app where all the firmware versions are.
The bird version is the "Version" title.
What Inspire 1 do you have?

Oh ok...got ya. So, according to the app, I'm running version 1.2.0.12 in the bird. Not sure if that's current or not. I have the regular ol' Inspire 1 with the x3.

Isn't the gimbal supposed to move and whatnot when I turn it on?

...and I'm pretty sure the controller thinks it's a duck or something. I can't get it to do anything. I try to downgrade to 1.6, it errors out. Try to downgrade to 1.58 (or whatever the other option is), it errors out. NOTHING is working for me today.

Seems it is a tad behind. However, I tried that already. Put it on the SD card, put it in the camera, turned it on...nothing. The camera doesn't move. Bird sings its little song and does the whole thing with the lights and stuff, then the LED turns blue and that's it. It just sits there. Gimble never moves. Nothing happens.

Thanks so much for the assistance, by the way. Greatly appreciated. Been scouring forums, Google, YouTube, etc all day trying to figure out what's going on.

Your welcome.
One last thing do not turn on the controller when updating the bird, and put the unzipped firmware on the root of the SD card.
Hope you get it to work. Sometimes, a good night sleep is all that separates us from success.

Your welcome.
One last thing do not turn on the controller when updating the bird, and put the unzipped firmware on the root of the SD card.
Hope you get it to work. Sometimes, a good night sleep is all that separates us from success.

True true. Will continue the fight in the morning. Thank you again.

Have to get the bird out of Travel mode first. That's what the blue light is. Have to flipped the control switch 4 or more times? That should take it out of travel mode.

Sent from my iPhone using InspirePilots

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irene