Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Australian dealer recalls all Inspire 1's due to QR prop system failures

I thought so this would happen. I received my set of qr props from dji a coupla weeks ago.
I have never used them. I prefer the original props that come with the prop locks.
I guess i just didnt trust myself with the whole pressing down and locking procedure to secure the qr props correctly.
I like the idea of being able to manually tighten the original props by hand and should a prop come loose during a flight i have piece of mind knowing that the prop lock will hold it in place until a rth and thats when i give them another checkover just to be on the safe side.

Reactions: damoncooper
I'd be really surprised if normal flight can do that to those parts. After my rear props made contact with the ground recently one of my concerns was if the impact had damaged the QR system. Had a look and they look good as new. The impact was enough to break a prop so. Would imagine that's a lot more force than can be applied in flight.

i think the reason why no one on these forums or in the us is having problems with quick release props is because there was almost instant communication by those who bought them said they didn't like what they saw, the props looked risky. i think that was enough to turn people off and no one is using them. i see inspires selling and people just throw the qr props in there for free.

just the name "quick release" props sounds bad. in what situation do you need to be in that big of a hurry to get your inspire out of the box and in the air? if your rushing that much with this aircraft your probably going to crash it anyway.

now what DJI should do and this may be an inspire 2 thing if they keep 4 motors is put some redundancy so the inspire can fly on 3 or 2 motors. this way if one prop goes bad the inspire can just shut it down and fly without it by also turning off it's opposite or have programming to fly with 3.

as it stands now if 1 goes down its a lost cause. just an idea that would add great value to this aircraft and i think it's pretty realistic.

Reactions: John Archer
They should keep the quick release system but you still have to spin the props on the shaft and have metal to metal, not plastic over metal. Then incorporate the locking system, job done. When I first got my QR props there was now way I was trusting 4 small pieces of plastic to keep a 3k quad in the air and be safe.

So it seems that the I1 has had prop tightening issues since day one. I think they tried the self tight ones and people had issues, they quickly came out with a new lock system to put on those props and then finally ended up with the quick release ones which came with my I1. Now someone is having issue with these. Also new to me and that they are limited to around 200 flights where you should replace both props and the quick release locks? Hmm.. sign... I have over 9 hrs of flight time with no issues with the quick release props but every day I read FB or some form their are always warnings :(

A metal locking hub transfers the wear problem back to the prop. I am seriously thinking a set of T-Motor 14:4 props is the way to go.

A metal locking hub transfers the wear problem back to the prop. I am seriously thinking a set of T-Motor 14:4 props is the way to go.

Hi Ian, do you know where to get/who to buy, the adaptors from for the t-motor props?
Carl

I still think this seems like a major over reaction. A dealer posted their so called 'recall' because two of their customers claimed the QR system failure. How many thousands of these things are out there working every day without issue? Has anybody on this forum lost a prop due to the QR system? I'm sure we'd know about it if there really was something worthy of a product recall.

I wonder why they went with a castle nut on the props. If they had used a regular nut a guy could have used a castle jam nut to ensure it doesn't come loose

A metal adaptor just moves the wear problem to the prop.
I don't think the problem has been wear. It is the thin plastic tabs on the motor side breaking off.
If your really concerned about flying with the qr's I would suggest turning down the braking speed. Just guessing, but I would think that's when the props are seeing the most stress. From 50mph to 0 in about one second is bound to be putting a lot of load on them. :p I realise they should be able to take it but it might just help stop some failures?

Reactions: Ward Paterson
I don't think the problem has been wear. It is the thin plastic tabs on the motor side breaking off.
If your really concerned about flying with the qr's I would suggest turning down the braking speed. Just guessing, but I would think that's when the props are seeing the most stress. From 50mph to 0 in about one second is bound to be putting a lot of load on them. :p I realise they should be able to take it but it might just help stop some failures?

Its not the inflight wear I am takling about.

It is the fit and removal of the QR props. The alloy is much harder and it will wear the prop much more than the plastic part. Maybe users drop the cycles on the props to 100

Interesting.

I have said there is potentially a problem with these things from day one.

However I am always a little sceptical about anything that appears on Face Space etc. I have not heard anything officially from DJI and this has come from a dealer.
The dealer then goes onto say 'they' will have a solution in a few weeks?????????

Hmmmmm....could it be that they are generating a viral scare and then just happen to have tooled up to manufacture a stronger locking plate which they will be selling online.o_O

I do think the QR props are crap though and should never have been introduced.
Every time is get into this forum I learn something more about these vehicles. What are QR props? I assume it means quick release. Mine are screw on with locks. They work perfectly fine. Is this an aftermarket item or DJI? Also does anyone know if there is a recommended service life for the screw on props. I read were someone suggested limiting the QR props to 100 flights.

Reactions: John Archer
Every time is get into this forum I learn something more about these vehicles. What are QR props? I assume it means quick release. Mine are screw on with locks. They work perfectly fine. Is this an aftermarket item or DJI? Also does anyone know if there is a recommended service life for the screw on props. I read were someone suggested limiting the QR props to 100 flights.
Yup QR is quick release. Service life is quoted as 200 flights (or sooner if the cams wear). There has also been reported instances of the mounting plates cracking.
Original threaded props have no real service life as such (I am still on my original set from new) but like all aircraft parts should be inspected regularly (every flight) for signs of damage or wear etc.
The prop locks also offer a level of redundancy not afforded by the QR type.

Just get the Rim Tai alu CNC hubs boys. I got mine last week. Simply brilliant. Sacrificed one prop for 50 times on/off and there was little wear on the prop itself. I reckon the props with these hubs would be easily 2-300 flights before replacement.

Balance wise in the air, perfect, no different to the OEM hubs..

They are expensive (USD$49) and hard to find, but highly recommended for that piece of mind.

Reactions: sirnikolas
Maytech.cn do a great range of CF self tightening and QR with aluminum hubs at great prices and quick delivery.
No I don't work for them, haha. I just rate their products and service (unlike DJI) and believe we should support companies that give it.
Talk to Yina, she will sort you out.
Yina Zhang
Maytech Electronics Co., Ltd.
www.maytech.cn
Tel: 86-21-56165310
Wechat: 13641677389
WhatsApp:+8613641677389
FB: www.facebook.com/maytech.cn
TW: https://twitter.com/MaytechRCModel

Reactions: Cassiel

Members online

No members online now.