Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Autopilot Beta Test

Just getting started with this excellent piece of software. The Focus mode, the only one tested so far, is superbly stable no matter where I flew the aircraft.

Where can we submitted suggestions and change requests? My starter for ten is to have metres per sec (m/s) as the default or additional metric speed measurement. Kph and mpm are rubbish for flying the Inspire.

Reactions: UAV Man
Just getting started with this excellent piece of software. The Focus mode, the only one tested so far, is superbly stable no matter where I flew the aircraft.

Where can we submitted suggestions and change requests? My starter for ten is to have metres per sec (m/s) as the default or additional metric speed measurement. Kph and mpm are rubbish for flying the Inspire.
I agree we need a proper resource to log 'bugs' and suggest upgrades.... I'm due to start using the new software tomorrow but would be nice to have a little tips and tricks thread on a forum..

I was hoping to take part in the beta but there wasn't enough room. Now that 1.4 is released, why would someone buy the Autopilot app? I don't want to be disrespectful I'm genuinely curious. Besides follow me, what would be the differences?
Simple these guys are spending time and money and respond to customers very well.Only by this I would support them.Is is said allready on this thread,the Inspire is great!No doubt.But the way DJI treated customers is way beyond normal.It's not only they do what they want,but any information is hardly given.
I'm on Android so I don't use their software,but as soon it's there I will buy it.
When I had the Phantom there was another guy who made an app by himself and it was way better then the Original.
The latest DJI app is good.It's way better then when I started back in January and there will be more improvement for sure.But it's frustrating to see that with any update no information is there and almost any time there will be errors which could have been avoided.I know updates are for solutions on this and are inevitable.

Last edited:
I want to follow a MX rider (or any 3rd person), can he/she potentially wear an Apple watch and the i1 follows that and I control the camera and see the on my ipad mini2 what the camera is seeing?
This is not possible right now, but it is planned.

Then i switched to Autopilot beta 34 and tried Orbit (like DJIs POI) and i could feel that the algorithms are not the same, the flight is really smooth compared to POI and i felt more secure.
Autopilot uses a custom flight controller written from scratch, which accounts for the better performance. There are, however, certain areas in the SDK that limit the Autopilot Flight Controller and it is forced to use the DJI implementation, which can be a bit rough at times.

I was hoping to take part in the beta but there wasn't enough room. Now that 1.4 is released, why would someone buy the Autopilot app? I don't want to be disrespectful I'm genuinely curious. Besides follow me, what would be the differences?
Check out this discussion for what sets Autopilot apart.

I'm currently using Litchi on Android - it works great, but I'd rather use my ipad mini and thinking about buying autopilot. Can someone answer a few questions - yes, I've tried reading the manual.. It's quite daunting....

1. In orbit, follow, and zip-line, can a POI's height be set so that autoflight maintains proper gimbal pitch angle to the POI when the AC changes position or altitude? if so,how do you set a POI's height?

2. In orbit mode, can you change radius and altitude on the fly using the sticks? and will autoflight maintain focus on the POI by changing controlling gimbal pitch?

3. In Zipline, can you set A/B at the same position but at different height for a rising motion? (again, with Autoflight automatically pitching the camera down as you rise up)

4. In Follow-me mode, can you use the sticks to change the AC position/altitude "on the fly" while the AC is currently following you and have AF maintain gimbal pitch on you?

5. What is different between "joystick" and "passive" control?

thanks!

1. In orbit, follow, and zip-line, can a POI's height be set so that autoflight maintains proper gimbal pitch angle to the POI when the AC changes position or altitude? if so,how do you set a POI's height?
Yes, using Focus Subject Altitude Offsets. You can even set the Focus Subject offset by just rolling the gimbal wheel and Autopilot will calculate it for you.

2. In orbit mode, can you change radius and altitude on the fly using the sticks? and will autoflight maintain focus on the POI by changing controlling gimbal pitch?
Yes, each Mode control that can be modified by using the RC sticks is noted as such in Flight School.

3. In Zipline, can you set A/B at the same position but at different height for a rising motion? (again, with Autoflight automatically pitching the camera down as you rise up)
Yes, but there are things you need to consider.

4. In Follow-me mode, can you use the sticks to change the AC position/altitude "on the fly" while the AC is currently following you and have AF maintain gimbal pitch on you?
Of course, same as Orbit discussed above.

5. What is different between "joystick" and "passive" control?
See the Focus Strategy discussion here.

Check out our new video tutorial series. More videos will be added soon so make sure to subscribe!

regarding zipline:

Can you frame a shot at Point A, then frame a shot at point B and have it smoothly yaw and pitch between the two points? (ie, similar to cable cam for the 3dr solo or even the native DJI GO app) - it sounds like this isn't possible at this time?

also, are camera settings coming soon? hard to properly expose a video without exposure meter/histogram and sucks to have to switch back to GO for iso/shutter speed

Last edited:
Can you frame a shot at Point A, then frame a shot at point B and have it smoothly yaw and pitch between the two points?
Not possible right now. Multiple Focus points is on the roadmap.

also, are camera settings coming soon? hard to properly expose a video without exposure meter/histogram and sucks to have to switch back to GO for iso/shutter speed
Again, on the roadmap, but I think more people want Waypoint Mode first. Have to prioritize.

Hello...sorry for the question but...is the autopilot app ready for the inspire 1 on the AppStore now??.....Is it fully functional? is it not a beta?

Question: at the bottom of the map view are 3 icons, but no explanation in the Flight School manual.

Icon 1, an arrow -- Can I assume that is the gimbal focus as in Pilot? If so, isn't this overridden by the Advanced/Focus control options? Sure could use an explanation.

Icon 2, looks like an envelope with an up arrow -- Not sure what this is, email/share something with someone????

Icon 3, stacked pages -- from using it, appears to allow changing style of map.

Think these icons/explanations need to be added to the FS.

Also noticed from my first trials with this app, VERY difficult to read anything when outdoors. The type point size is so small in so many cases, and in other cases, the color choice does not allow the icon/label to be seen in anything but very much lower lighting than outdoors on a bright day. I'm using an iPad Mini 3. I even turned up the system prefs for larger type, but that does not affect much of AP's interface. I tried both the dark and light theme, but both were so difficult to see many icons, labels, etc. that I could not carry out much testing.

Have to say that I haven't had this issue with Pilot, so it may be that AP just needs some enhancement of icons, colors, text sizes etc. to make it more usable in field conditions.

My option now is to go buy some magnification reading glasses in order to keep testing this new app! (Which I'm going to do :D because I do like the app!)

does have the autopilot app a waypoint mode?....i mean multiple waypoints....20 waypoints for example.......???

Not possible right now. Multiple Focus points is on the roadmap.

Again, on the roadmap, but I think more people want Waypoint Mode first. Have to prioritize.

I just ended up purchasing.... can't figure out why "ENGAGE" does not automatically start my props and initiate takeoff? Mode switch is correctly in the "F" position

everything works as it should once in the air.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
william_sewell