Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Autopilot Beta Test

Cinemagraphic "Spinner" demonstration shots are shown here:
This is exactly what Cruise Mode is for. Just set it to something like:
  • Vertical Strategy: Percent
  • Throttle Percent: 5%
  • Pitch Roll Strategy: Vector
  • Speed: 0 mph
  • Yaw Strategy: Percent
  • Rudder Percent: 5% left
So yes, the P4 Pro will work. However, I don't think the P4 Pro + with the built-in screen will due to it being a locked operating system and no apps allowed unless DJI alters that which they might not due to its limited OS resources.
DJI has not currently exposed that functionality to third-party developers, but even if/when they do, it is Android so Autopilot will not be compatible.

Gps position hold is still off in cruise mode on P4pro.
The wind compensation had to be disabled in the latest beta because there was a DJI SDK issue disallowing any control at all when it was enabled. We temporarily disabled the wind compensation until the SDK is fixed, reasoning that some control (with drifting) was better than no control at all.

I noticed that the C1 and C2 buttons can't be programmed to focus the Mavic Pro's camera? Not sure if this is intentional but would be good to have this option. Also, when clicking on on camera settings and check the focus setting (auto vs manual) and then get out of the setting, the app chrashes. Using iPhone 6s Plus and Mavic Prok
Can you please email this issue to [email protected]

Hey autopilot. You could say something. Brag yourself. Don't be shy. Say:
NO MORE jerky cornering in W.P. It flies through curve like butter smooth.
I almost had a hard attack
What do you mean?

Only issue with cruise for spinner is it can drift with the wind. This is ok for some shots where scene is large and doesn't require tight symmetry or framing.
I sure wish DJI would fix their SDK for wind comp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only issue with cruise for spinner is it can drift with the wind. This is ok for some shots where scene is large and doesn't require tight symmetry or framing.
I sure wish DJI would fix their SDK for wind comp.
The wind compensation only applies when using Joystick or Percent for the Pitch/Roll Strategy. If you use Vector it should be fine.

Sorry, but this is confusing to me. Do you have a video explaining this?

Is this fully autonomous and set up in Cruise Mode built off a set waypoint, or a manual flight? If manual, that's 6 steps to drill through - with the possibility of screwing one up step and the need to repeat while waiting for the batteries to charge back up after a couple of failed attempts . This doesn't seem autonomus to me and why it is so difficult to do. Making it fully autonomous so I do not have to do it 10 times over the same spot is the plan. They had to do 40-50 takes for the flights with the "Dancing with the Stars" opening and some of it was 'spinner' issues over the dancers with camera looking downwards.

Is there a mode inside autopilot which limits the speed of my drone, so I can hold the sticks fully forward, yet achieve a nice slow approach to a subject, without the inaccuracy which comes with analogue guess work?

Similar in principle to the spotlight mode on the Inspire 2.

I have even thought about sticking something on my controller to achieve this, analogue simply has too many increments to do this without cheating.

Last edited:
Hello,

I have been considering purchasing AutoPilot for my new Inspire 2 but have a question. Please forgive me if this has been covered in the previous 94 pages of posts.. ;) But I am interested in 3D mapping and need the functionality of flying a grid pattern over a designated area. Preferably with the option to resume the mission if there is not enough battery to completed it in one flight. Can I do this in Autopilot? and does the current iOS version compatible with the Inspire 2?

Thank you.

Autopilot can do grid missions but don't think can cater for swapping batteries like maps made easy - as far as I'm aware anyway. V3.8 supported the inspire 2 see Changelog - Autoflight Logic

I recently asked the Autopilot support team about the mapping capabilities and had this response - link to video also included in the online manual (2 on YouTube):
---->
With Autopilot you have the ability to create a Grid Waypoint mission which includes setting height, speed and adjusting camera settings (Camera settings can be adjusted only while your aircraft is connected to Autopilot).

To learn more please see the Waypoints subheading in Section 5.8.1 of Flight School, which also includes an example video of the Grid pattern:

Flight School - Autoflight Logic
<----
For time being I'm using mapsmadeeasy iOS app as handles multi battery surveys perfectly and now supports both my DJI aircraft. There are also other apps available.

Last edited:
Autopilot can do grid missions but don't think can cater for swapping batteries like maps made easy - as far as I'm aware anyway. V3.8 supported the inspire 2 see Changelog - Autoflight Logic

I recently asked the Autopilot support team about the mapping capabilities and had this response - link to video also included in the online manual (2 on YouTube):
---->
With Autopilot you have the ability to create a Grid Waypoint mission which includes setting height, speed and adjusting camera settings (Camera settings can be adjusted only while your aircraft is connected to Autopilot).

To learn more please see the Waypoints subheading in Section 5.8.1 of Flight School, which also includes an example video of the Grid pattern:

<----
For time being I'm using mapsmadeeasy iOS app as handles multi battery surveys perfectly and now supports both my DJI aircraft. There are also other apps available.

You can resume longer missions in Autopilot by dragging the Mission Start icon to the point at which you left off. I've used it many times and it has always worked well.

Keep in mind that Autopilot was designed first and foremost for filmmaking, so as you mentioned there may be other apps that cater more towards mapping.

Sent from my iPhone using InspirePilots

---->

<----

Thank you.. that is very helpful.

Is this fully autonomous and set up in Cruise Mode built off a set waypoint, or a manual flight?
All of the settings in cruise mode can be saved as a flight plan, but what will not be saved is the position of the aircraft. If the aircraft must be exactly within a few feet of the same location every single time, you could save a Target Mode flight plan that navigates the aircraft to the exact location, and then disengage and load the cruise flight plan and then engage.

Is there a mode inside autopilot which limits the speed of my drone, so I can hold the sticks fully forward, yet achieve a nice slow approach to a subject, without the inaccuracy which comes with analogue guess work?
You can lower the maximum horizontal power setting and then use cruise mode with Joystick for all strategies.

a quote, from another forum:
"The Inspire 2 supports control over 4G. USB dongle and SDK development required. This high bandwidth allows the Inspire 2 to transmit high quality videos to a network server or can be used for ultra-long distance control. It also cuts video transmission latency to 500ms".

I'm actually interested in airspace. Using focus/cruise mode on an external device.
Is there a way to speed up gps data flow in airspace "mobile network", for less latency?
Is it somehow possible to connect "peer to peer" over some wifi extender, for longer range?

Last edited:
FYI:

Autopilot in Dual Operator with Inspire 1 works. Drone Controller : Ipad Mini 2 with Autopilot running, Ipad Pro for Video Operator with DJI Go. Only thing : The Video Operator gets the Message "The Homepoint has been updated" constantly, visual and Audio. But everything works.

Only thing i couldnt test, is Flight Restricted Zones from DJI Flysafe/GEO. Usually you have to unlock every flight in the Go App, maybe unlock, close Go and start Autopilot?

Hello, I have a suggestion. I would feel much more comfortable during flights to have the voltage displayed. Are there any low voltage warnings and will the DJI safety features still function in the event of abnormal voltage loss? Such as limiting motor performance?

Sent from my iPhone using InspirePilots

From my searching here in the forums, it would appear that this is the place to ask questions about the Auto Pilot app. And I must say, as a recent new user of the app.. It's been great! very smooth and allows me to create just about any sort of mission I need. "almost".

Anyway.. I was testing it a bit today and ran into an error at 1380 ft indicating that I was exceeding my max distance. (this was only about 200 feet short of what I needed to shoot) In Auto Pilot, my max distance was set at 1000m / 3281ft. The red band on the bottom of the screen was reading NTZ or something like that. Did I miss something here? To complete the mission, I simply disengaged and flew manually. Any thoughts?

Also, as a request for a future update, I would LOVE a better grid option to help with mapping. Multiple battery flights, ways to adjust overlap, and better control of the grid area other than just a box.. Most of the time it's a very odd shaped parcel and not that square. Leads to a lot of shots outside the needed area.

I'm still novice at this app, but think I made a good choice when I purchased.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexzazz