Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Autopilot Beta Test

Patou,

I'm also flying in a mountain area. Although it's nice to plan the mission from home, I've found it's easier (on the nerves) to fly a slow practice mission, setting the waypoints and camera position as you fly along, using the aircraft position for your waypoints. Then, I land, save the mission, change batteries, take off again and engage the mission. I've been getting my best video using this method. If the earth were flat, it would be easier.
Hello Sturgisphoto,

Yes I think I should try it like this. Thanks a lot

I am at the point with this software where it's doing everything except; what I would like it to do.

I am really late in this discussion of an 87 page message board.

I just tested with 4 batteries.

My biggest issue is that stand controls don't seem to work. I tried doing a zip line mission and I noticed the following issues,

The right stick up and down didn't control speed as they logically should.

Left stick left/right didnt control ya like it logically should.

Is there a place in the app to set override controls? Any feedback on right (up/down) stick should increase, decrease, or potentially negative speed the drone. Left stick should control the yaw.

This is why I like Litchi app.

Object Tracking with Pattern Focus Strategy works quite well in it's first release, but I wasn't able to test it with moving objects so far.

Jim, could you give us a short description of it's process and of the parameters shown? Does fps mean the number of frames Autopilot is able to process? And what are the best practices to get a good track and/or faster fps? Thank you!

Here a short video, nothing too fancy but might be interesting to some:

My biggest issue is that stand controls don't seem to work. I tried doing a zip line mission and I noticed the following issues,

The right stick up and down didn't control speed as they logically should.

Left stick left/right didnt control ya like it logically should.
This is not how Zip Line was designed. The RC Joystick mapping are discussed in flight school for each mode control in Zip Line. Having said that, it sounds like you are looking more for the experience of Waypoint Mode with Joystick Mission Type selected.

could you give us a short description of it's process and of the parameters shown? Does fps mean the number of frames Autopilot is able to process? And what are the best practices to get a good track and/or faster fps?[/MEDIA]
The percent is the confidence that the pattern has been matched accurately. FPS is how many frames per second Autopilot pilot is processing at. If it falls below 15, and you are tracking a small, fast moving subject, it may have difficulty keeping track. There isn't much else you can do to help the parameters from an app perspective. Having your subject wear loud or sharply contrasting colors helps though :)

Reactions: skyscope
@ Autoflight logic

Could you please explain how to work with Pattern Focus Strategy? Just tried today but couldn't get it work...
How do you tell the App what to track?

Thanks
Patou

Could you please explain how to work with Pattern Focus Strategy? Just tried today but couldn't get it work...
How do you tell the App what to track?
From the Pattern Strategy discussion in Flight School:
Autopilot will pitch and yaw the gimbal to center a pattern that you define by pinching the camera screen on your iOS Device. Two fingers are required to define the pattern and you can swipe up to cancel. Smaller patterns are more difficult to track and require more processing power. For optimal results, define patterns that occupy at at least 1/8 of the screen.

Feature Request: Finer control of sharpness settings. "Normal" is already to high and "Soft" is slightly to soft with the latest firmwares.
Autopilot displays all the possible values for this setting, so it sounds like this would be a feature request to DJI?

Autopilot displays all the possible values for this setting, so it sounds like this would be a feature request to DJI?

I see, "DJICameraSettingsDef.CameraSharpness" only has this 3 settings.
There is one "unknown" value though, perhaps it is possible to maintain sharpness settings that where set in DJI GO with it's finer control, like it was on previous versions of Autopilot before you implemented the camera settings?

From the Pattern Strategy discussion in Flight School:
Autopilot will pitch and yaw the gimbal to center a pattern that you define by pinching the camera screen on your iOS Device. Two fingers are required to define the pattern and you can swipe up to cancel. Smaller patterns are more difficult to track and require more processing power. For optimal results, define patterns that occupy at at least 1/8 of the screen.
Thanks Autoflight logic,

As good as always...

Patou

I see, "DJICameraSettingsDef.CameraSharpness" only has this 3 settings.
There is one "unknown" value though, perhaps it is possible to maintain sharpness settings that where set in DJI GO with it's finer control, like it was on previous versions of Autopilot before you implemented the camera settings?
Simply opening Autopilot has no affect on any of the camera settings, which is the same behavior as before the camera settings were exposed. Are you seeing different behavior? Maybe the confusion is around how DJI GO presents the settings, which doesn't seem to line up exactly with how the SDK defines them. That is, it seems their sharpness dialog exposes something called custom which is really just a Hue and Saturation override in SDK terms. The Hue and Saturation values, are of course settable in Autopilot.

Years ago I purchased a fun toy, a Rodeon motorized pano head. You could mount a big camera / heavy lens to it, program it with a handheld device and take 360 degree panos. In a short time, the novelty of taking 360 panos wore off, but I did use it with a 200mm f2.0 lens to take some highly detailed landscape panos. Eventually, I got the Arca Swiss Cube which made shooting landscape panos very easy, very reliable. I use the Cube every day. Sold the Rodeon for 1/4 the cost.

Anyway, I've recently seen some Inspire 360 panos which are pretty cool. Some with 45mm lens, 400 shots. Apparently, this is all done manually in DJI GO. Is this something to think about at AutoFlight? Here's the way it could work, you would tell the software how many exposures in the field of view you set, ie: 90 degrees, six exposures. Or 360 degrees, 24 exposures. Then you would tell the software how many degrees up (or down) to point and repeat the sequence. There could be a setting for how long to wait between exposures, how long to wait after the camera moves before the next exposure. Might need a provision to pause the program while you land and change batteries?

So, this could all be programmed in advance to allow for the type of lens you are using. Out in the field, you fly to your spot, engage the program and sit back and relax while it takes all these pictures!

Just an idea.

Thanks,

Bob

Hello AF,

Some anti-social behavior tonight with the latest beta in Pano Mode. Flying an Inspire (and having success yesterday with previous version), I flew to a good altitude, engaged AF, 360 spherical pano, got an error message, something maybe "feature not available". When I disengaged AF I didn't have control of the AC. Switched to DJI Go, still no control. Finally I switched the switch from F to P and got control.

I took the AC to an open field I fly quite a bit for experimenting. Tried to do a pano but the program kept crashing, well, maybe not "crashing", it would go to the background every time I tried to engage. I can't, from memory, say the exact list of steps, but at one point when Pano mode seemed to engage, the AC started to fly away. I think I flipped the switch right away to get control again. I thought I was doing a screen record during all of this, but I'm not seeing it anywhere. Not familiar with that feature. After two batteries, my nerves were shot, I would make a poor test pilot, lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arhaansheikh07