Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Autopilot Waypoint Mode

There will be a beta for each new version of Autopilot, and by default, it will include the same testers as the previous beta. If those testers do not download the update in a certain time period, we will add more testers from the 1000s that are still on the waiting list.

Thanks. I look forward to testing the new functionality.

I agree with others in this thread that have mentioned the DJI Ground Station app as a good starting point. I do prefer the implementation of a GUI somewhat like what DJI has done. It always struck me as odd that they didn't implement that for the Inspire 1, but I don't pretend to understand DJI's logic in some of the decisions that they've made. For example, calling the Phantom 3 Professional, well... professional. A recent video I watched discussed the fact that the Inspire 1 is pretty much the only entry level professional machine on the market.

It would be great to see something like Ground Station in Autopilot.

1. Pre-planned flight paths
2. Bezier curves
3. All position parameters editable for each waypoint
4. Full camera control with sticks while Autopilot flies
5. Ability to pause at each way point as route is flown if you feel you need more time for a given shot, then continue

We are looking into the possibility of using the new split-screen multitasking feature in iOS9 to run DJI GO and Autopilot side-by-side. If this is possible would it be acceptable over implementing all the camera controls that GO already has? We aren't opposed to doing this work, its just that it takes time and resources away from working on things that Autopilot can do that other apps cannot.

Good idea! The Go app already does a nice job with the camera controls. However for this approach when using the iPhone 6 or 6s which doesn't have the side by side multitask feature: Would we be able to have both apps open and use the quick app changing feature (double tapping the home button) to go back and forth between the apps for this need? If so, then I think it's a good way to go... for now!

I don't know if this is too late, but here goes. I seem to have a different application than many others. I need to be able to fly a preplanned course (set of waypoints) and have the autopilot control the number of pictures being taken. I need to be able to have the pictures with a 50 to 80% overlap going forward and about 50 yo 70% side to side overlap. This is for point cloud creation ending up with a 3D image. Prioritized: multiple waypoints and then the ability to trigger still images based on ground coverage.

I don't know if this is too late, but here goes. I seem to have a different application than many others. I need to be able to fly a preplanned course (set of waypoints) and have the autopilot control the number of pictures being taken. I need to be able to have the pictures with a 50 to 80% overlap going forward and about 50 yo 70% side to side overlap. This is for point cloud creation ending up with a 3D image. Prioritized: multiple waypoints and then the ability to trigger still images based on ground coverage.
'This is not the app your looking for' move along. No, seriously though, I requested this way early on and it was stated that it was a maybe way down the line.

Have you looked at Dronedeploy, Map Pilot or UgCS? They are more dedicated photogrammetry waypoint apps. Most of them have optional online processing but you don't have to use it if you want to build your own point clouds with the likes of Photoscan Pro. Just use the apps to get the flight and capture done.

'This is not the app your looking for' move along. No, seriously though, I requested this way early on and it was stated that it was a maybe way down the line.

Have you looked at Dronedeploy, Map Pilot or UgCS? They are more dedicated photogrammetry waypoint apps. Most of them have optional online processing but you don't have to use it if you want to build your own point clouds with the likes of Photoscan Pro. Just use the apps to get the flight and capture done.
Thanks for your input. I haven't been able to determine whether UgCS does the job, haven't looked at DroneDeploy or Map Pilot. I will check them out. Thanks again.

Thanks for your input. I haven't been able to determine whether UgCS does the job, haven't looked at DroneDeploy or Map Pilot. I will check them out. Thanks again.
I haven't used it either but I have looked at some screen shots and does seem to be feature rich. DD and MP I have both used and they produce good image capture from which I build orthos and point clouds.

To be fair to Autopilot, I do use its orbit mode to fly around objects at different heights and build 3D models from the capture. It's good now that they have allowed lower than previous hard set minimum height of 4m.

I haven't used it either but I have looked at some screen shots and does seem to be feature rich. DD and MP I have both used and they produce good image capture from which I build orthos and point clouds.

To be fair to Autopilot, I do use its orbit mode to fly around objects at different heights and build 3D models from the capture. It's good now that they have allowed lower than previous hard set minimum height of 4m.
I downloaded the MP app. Was going to try it yesterday but got snowed out. Shooting for today to try. They also have a fairly reasonable processing package that makes sense at this moment for an entry-level deal. More later. Thanks again.

'This is not the app your looking for' move along.
For the time being, yes we have not targeted photogrammetry as that feature set is largely orthogonal to what video production users want. We are open to creating other Modes or apps that do target this space, but our primary focus with Autopilot has been video production.

I created an kml and kmz (I tried both) file on google earth, then emailed it to my iPad Mini 4. I opened up the mail and pressed on the kml file. It said it was saved to device. Now what do I do to open it in AutoPilot? I can not seem to find it anywhere. I pressed on the file (in gmail) and it said open, I pressed on that and it actually opened the file into a text format?

My reasoning to want to do this is to have someone else who wants me to fly a certain area to be able to give me a rough idea of what they want me to fly. Once setup in Autopilot I can tweak the flight without ever seeing the shoot location.

I created an kml and kmz (I tried both) file on google earth, then emailed it to my iPad Mini 4. I opened up the mail and pressed on the kml file. It said it was saved to device. Now what do I do to open it in AutoPilot? I can not seem to find it anywhere. I pressed on the file (in gmail) and it said open, I pressed on that and it actually opened the file into a text format?

My reasoning to want to do this is to have someone else who wants me to fly a certain area to be able to give me a rough idea of what they want me to fly. Once setup in Autopilot I can tweak the flight without ever seeing the shoot location.

Got it to work, No need for a reply. Thanks

For the time being, yes we have not targeted photogrammetry as that feature set is largely orthogonal to what video production users want. We are open to creating other Modes or apps that do target this space, but our primary focus with Autopilot has been video production.
I was wondering whether Autoflight waypoint mode can be programmed to have the aircraft stop at each waypoint & take a photo (automatically or manually)?
Use case I am interested in is creating a series of longer-exposure photos which I would then stitch into a timelapse.

Yes you can. It can take pics or video. You can also set focus points on what you want it to focus on. You can even go to a waypoint and setup a circle pattern with a focus on the subject and either have it take pics or video.

Yes you can. It can take pics or video. You can also set focus points on what you want it to focus on. You can even go to a waypoint and setup a circle pattern with a focus on the subject and either have it take pics or video.

Thank you Gregg, amazing stuff! I was just watching the latest waypoint video from Autopilot that I hadn't seen up to this point that demonstrates that particular functionality (I had only come across the original 2 waypoint videos).

This app is unbelievable value, I am buying it immediately.

Yeah it has a ton of features. It can be a bit overwhelming but they were acquired by Hangar last year so hopefully they will improve the UI to make it more user friendly. But it does do a lot and they are constantly adding more. I'm part of their beta testers and they recently added some more features. A good product for a good value.

Reactions: Spheric
Dang... I just remembered that this was the Crapple device only app.... when will devs learn that iOS lost its attraction years ago.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop