Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Bad Gimbal/Horizon Drift after Latest FW v01.02.0200 update. Inspire 2.

Reaction score
I just updated my Inspire 2 and all peripheries after not flying for a few months. Now there is terrible drift in the camera's horizon. It also drifts quite a bit when I come to a stop in all axes. I have all the stock settings on the gimbal controls after firmware update. Is this a simple setting fix that I have forgot over time? Or does this thing need to get serviced?

IMG_7176.JPG

Reactions: Ysbryd and MrTVR
I have the exact same issue. I was actually focused on trying to solve it before I crashed my drone into the ground. If your going to trouble shoot this while in the air get lots of height

Mine is out for repair so I can’t do anything with it until it’s back in a few weeks.

Others have reported this horizon tilt issue on the DJI forums also.

I think I read that in a week or two another update is coming out to fix it.

Reactions: MrTVR
I have the exact same issue. I was actually focused on trying to solve it before I crashed my drone into the ground. If your going to trouble shoot this while in the air get lots of height

Mine is out for repair so I can’t do anything with it until it’s back in a few weeks.

Others have reported this horizon tilt issue on the DJI forums also.

I think I read that in a week or two another update is coming out to fix it.
Despite of what official line says, I would suggest to do cold IMU calibration, Compass calibration, as well as visual sensor calibration and then gimbal calibration and FC stick calibration. It might sound like a lot of work but in reality it could all be done in less than 1/2 an hour. Let us know if it is better after all of the above.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drone_Video
Despite of what official line says, I would suggest to do cold IMU calibration, Compass calibration, as well as visual sensor calibration and then gimbal calibration and FC stick calibration. It might sound like a lot of work but in reality it could all be done in less than 1/2 an hour. Let us know if it is better after all of the above.

I’ll have to try that when I get my drone back from repair with a new camera. I happen to crash mine while messing with it after the firmware update. So when I get my repaired inspire back and new camera I’ll give that a try.

Have you had this issue and did it resolve with the full calibrations ?

I’ll have to try that when I get my drone back from repair with a new camera. I happen to crash mine while messing with it after the firmware update. So when I get my repaired inspire back and new camera I’ll give that a try.

Have you had this issue and did it resolve with the full calibrations ?
Perhaps not as bad but the calibrations seem to have helped it a fair bit.

Just to chip in with my experience - I updated and had a commercial shoot on where we had horrific horizon drift and other uncommanded camera movements. This, in addition to the umcommanded yaw of the craft itself, made me downgrade.

The first thing I tried was to cold calibrate IMU and in desperation I also did my compass and visual sensors and none of that made a difference. If we weren't flying 2 person, pilot and camera op, then the shoot would have been a write off.

After the upgrade we did 2 test flights and nothing was unusual at all, but this was pretty embarrassing on a shoot. Too often there are little firmware problems preventing this great system from being truly pro level.

Same issue. I'm primarily a still photographer. I was doing a mostly take off, vertical climb and hold pano stitch job and there was huge drift in camera yaw- if uncorrected in air that would yield need for MUCH greater overlap. In otherwods without ongoing inflight correction the job would have been almost undoabls. I dont know what you would do in video situation as drift was great in very little time. I thought this latest fw upgrade was to primarily fix this issue. Seems much worse to me. Rediculous.

I have been having this problem since my I2 was New (October 2017)

It isn't as bad as you demonstrate, but it is as if the Aircraft doesn't fully realise it isn't Level (which it isn't when hovering static in any real wind) and the gimbal doesn't perform enough compensation for the fixed angle offset... (ok it doesn't fully realise anything, hey it is a dumb robot)

I deal with it by having the roll control active on the screen (too bad i havn't found a way to map it to one of the control sticks) and periodically manually correct the "horizon" /gimbal roll error....

As a Control Engineer, this is one demonstration of the value in designing a (mechanical design) stabilisation platform so that the (manual) axis of interest (yaw) is the last in the control chain, meaning that when the Roll and Pitch are stabilised, yaw is decoupled in the control algorithm, eliminating the need for real time correction (which introduces artefacts at a "not insignificant" timescale in a lot of cases. In the x5s Roll is the second (of 3) "leg" of the actuation chain with Yaw as the initial leg, meaning that the system could have been designed worse.
Of course if we were using a state control scheme with all states immediately visible to the controller (not estimated with induced delays), everything is (as one of my "professors" would often say) Trivial.

Another concept is that in the design of such platforms (any remote sensor system), 5 (or 6) degrees of freedom for the gimbal allows the aircraft to autonomously control for roll and Pitch correction/stabilisation, while the camera operator (second person, or pilot as the case may be) has the freedom to actively program or directly manipulate 3 degrees of freedom without interference / cross coupling. Then the single Yaw control (or have concentric Yaw rings, one for the craft to stabilise and the second for "framing control") can be number 1 in the Camera operator's control chain, allowing it to be slaved to; a compass heading, point of interest or manually controlled without affecting (or affected by) the operation of the craft (followed by camera pitch and roll (Z,Y,X) - 2 sets of gimbal control allows one to be a high rate (low amplitude: +/- (say)30degrees would work well) control system and the second to be operated at a human rate... All that is merely to get the framing right, lets hope we got the camera parameters sorted out before hitting that shutter button..

Time to get building.

Last edited:
After latest firmware update dynamic home point screwed up and my Inspire 2 is now under 80 feet of water in Montana.

??For real, or that is what it says on the "home location"

Sucks real bad if "for real" as Care refresh needs the aircraft for repair / replacement...
:-(

I deal with it by having the roll control active on the screen (too bad i havn't found a way to map it to one of the control sticks) and periodically manually correct the "horizon" /gimbal roll error....

We run dual op and you can assign roll to a stick on the camera controller.

Sabotaged by Dji

How can this be a professional kit?

A complete joke the camera just floats around, it’s like a run away camera now!:mad:

Hovering is pretty stable now but the camera is clearly a drunk:(

This thread says ‘latest FW update’ ...

Just checking but are you guys referring to issues with FW 01.02.0200?

Reactions: The Editor
Yeah, that's the one. I'd strongly advise against updating.
This latest FW fixed for me the uncontrolled camera spin upon changing the flight modes and the nerve testing lifting-off legs upon landing. But it introduced uncontrolled occasional craft yaw drift and floating camera horizon upon panning, even though in my case it is not as severe as others here are describing.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry