Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Badlands Park South Dakota Sunset

It looks stunning. I guess I need to visit Wyoming.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I thought you were not allowed to fly in National Parks?
Some National parks are on the No Fly List, others are not. You can no longer fly at Yellowstone Park, and I would love to fly there, but Yellowstone is a wildlife preserve, and RC helicopters buzzing about could scare the wildlife, so I understand why I cant fly there. However I am sponsored by a Wyoming government agency, so it might be possible to obtain a permit.

I also specifically avoided Mt. Rushmore on my Trip, due to the fact that that is a no fly zone.

While in Badlands, I hiked in and choose a spot to fly where I was completely alone, with no other tourists in sight, and as you can tell from the video, I did not fly near, or over the crowds of people enjoying the tranquility of sunset at the park.

Have Fun,
Chuggie

Last edited:
Some National parks are on the No Fly List, others are not. You can no longer fly at Yellowstone Park, and I would love to fly there, but Yellowstone is a wildlife preserve, and RC helicopters buzzing about could scare the wildlife, so I understand why I cant fly there. However I am sponsored by a Wyoming government agency, so it might be possible to obtain a permit.

I also specifically avoided Mt. Rushmore on my Trip, due to the fact that that is a no fly zone.

While in Badlands, I hiked in and choose a spot to fly where I was completely alone, with no other tourists in sight, and as you can tell from the video, I did not fly near, or over the crowds of people enjoying the tranquility of sunset at the park.

Have Fun,
Chuggie
Actually, all national parks are banned unless you have NPS permission ahead of your flight.

http://home.nps.gov/news/release.htm?id=1601

These rules are temporary but your flight is in violation.

Reactions: dirkclod
IT IS ILLEGAL TO FLY IN ALL NATIONAL PARKS period. I'm sure there are exceptions for Hollywood and Ken Burns.when requests are made in writing in advance. I am also sure if you asked a park ranger if you can fly, he/she would say no and if he/she says yes, he is wrong.

This subject has come up thousands of times on the Inspire and Phantom forums, I can't believe everyone doesn't know this yet. Here is one of the thousands.

http://www.inspirepilots.com/threads/permits-for-flying-in-national-parks.4005/

Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod
IT IS ILLEGAL TO FLY IN ALL NATIONAL PARKS period. I'm sure there are exceptions for Hollywood and Ken Burns.when requests are made in writing in advance. I am also sure if you asked a park ranger if you can fly, he/she would say no and if he/she says yes, he is wrong.

This subject has come up thousands of times on the Inspire and Phantom forums, I can't believe everyone doesn't know this yet. Here is one of the thousands.

http://www.inspirepilots.com/threads/permits-for-flying-in-national-parks.4005/

Easy there Sparky..... What makes you think he doesn't know? Never-mind.. Don't even bother...

1232.jpg

Reactions: Outta Control
The DJI safe fly zone map needs to be updated if all National Parks are off limits. It shows Yellowstone, the Grand Teton, and Grand Canyon as warning zones, but Theadore Rosevelt, Arches, Canyonlands and many others show no violation for flying there. It appears Badlands was just added to the map in the last few days, maybe due to me posting this video of my flight there.

Just because DJI hasn't updated the no-fly zone list in software, doesn't mean you can fly there. I would love to fly in all National Parks, but it is illegal. It is also illegal paraglide, hang glide, or base jump.

I see you aren't going to stop flying in National Parks judging from your Devil's Tower video which I would also love to fly over.

For the record, Devil't Tower is NOT a National Park, it is a National Monument. There are only 59 National Parks. The National Park Service is responsible for about 411 "units", National Parks, National Monuments, National Cemeteries, National Seashores, National Historic Sites, National Malls, etc. etc. etc. Thought you might like to know.

If you are going to fly in a National Park again, I dare you to ask the park ranger and tell us what he/she says. My role here is only to inform you, ignorance of the law is not an excuse.

I love your stuff, but if you want some constructive criticism, it is way too long, Good luck and safe flying.

Just because DJI hasn't updated the no-fly zone list in software, doesn't mean you can fly there. I would love to fly in all National Parks, but it is illegal. It is also illegal paraglide, hang glide, or base jump.

I see you aren't going to stop flying in National Parks judging from your Devil's Tower video which I would also love to fly over.

For the record, Devil't Tower is NOT a National Park, it is a National Monument. There are only 59 National Parks. The National Park Service is responsible for about 411 "units", National Parks, National Monuments, National Cemeteries, National Seashores, National Historic Sites, National Malls, etc. etc. etc. Thought you might like to know.

If you are going to fly in a National Park again, I dare you to ask the park ranger and tell us what he/she says. My role here is only to inform you, ignorance of the law is not an excuse.

I love your stuff, but if you want some constructive criticism, it is way too long, Good luck and safe flying.

Hey Sparky! Get of this guy's ***. I think he got your point.... I don't think this forum is made for You to act like that and keep reiterating your point....

Edited by mazz

Well, the next place I would like to fly is just outside the Yellowstone National Park boundary. There is a mountain called Pilots Peak just north east of Yellowstone. If you Google "Pilots Peak WY" and look at the on line images of it, you can see that is similar to the Swiss Matterhorn in its geometry. As near as I can tell it is legal to fly there since it is outside the National Park. US highway 212 (AKA Beartooth Pass) comes within 1.75 miles of the summit, so it is close enough to make a nice inspire flight. I'm just waiting for a day off work, with good weather to go over there and have a flight.

My wife and I just came back from Colorado and I did some nice flights there with my inspire. I might take you up on your offer as the area seems great for flying!
Colorado has some great places to fly too. I used to live in Gunnison. The Maroon Bells on the Gunnison, Pitkin county border would be an awesome place to fly. Wyoming is awesome though, I just visited Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kids' hideout, known as "The hole in the wall". The canyon there was spectacular, I will try to post my flight video from there later today.

Another person mentioned Gunnisson as well as a great place to fly. It was on my list this year but didn't have time. Just saw your "Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid hideout" video. Awesome place to fly. Was it hard to get to a good spot to take off?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melodee207