Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Battery cell broken

Oh well, just heard back from @SlrHut , no joy:( they've taken it from the day my wife purchased my inspire & not the day I was given it as my birthday present, missed out by a couple of weeks.

Bummer that my battery history shows the battery had a faulty cell a while back, that's what you get for not flying for 8 weeks, (work commitments) :(

Never mind..

I have 2 batteries doing the same thing. DJI said the same about the 6 month warranty. I asked the question, why not have a better charger for the expense batteries? All this advance equipment but really nothing for the batteries

I switched on my Inspire 1 v2.0 tonight with my TB47 after around 1 month of not flying it. The battery had discharged to around 60% by itself so I charged it up first (It took forever on the last LED charge light so I gave up knowing that it should be close to 100% and ok to fly with) - I understand the self discharge is normal, a minute into flying though something less normal happened, the DJI Go app displayed a message (Battery Cell Broken), I raced the Inspire back home incase it dropped from the sky but it came home fine, straight on to DJI Support and they game me an RMA number, need to return it etc etc. My inspire and the TB47 battery is fortunately relatively new (purchased just 3 months ago).

Last edited:
... (It took forever on the last LED charge light so I gave up knowing that it should be close to 100% and ok to fly with) ).
It is absolutely vital that you let the power block charge the battery until it switches itself off. Doing what you did is NOT safe to fly with. The last bit of the charge where nothing much visible happens is when it is balancing the internal cells in the battery. If the cells are not balanced you can end up with big problems endangering your ability to fly.

There are more battery experts here than me who may chime in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No battery expert but I always fly a battery hours after being pulled from a confirmed full charge. Every complain has come from batteries that appear normal but fall in to drain mode. DJI has done little to none to remind people of the importance of only flying freshly charged packs.

Reactions: durrantie
I switched on my Inspire 1 v2.0 tonight with my TB47 after around 1 month of not flying it. The battery had discharged to around 60% by itself so I charged it up first (It took forever on the last LED charge light so I gave up knowing that it should be close to 100% and ok to fly with) - I understand the self discharge is normal, a minute into flying though something less normal happened, the DJI Go app displayed a message (Battery Cell Broken), I raced the Inspire back home incase it dropped from the sky but it came home fine, straight on to DJI Support and they game me an RMA number, need to return it etc etc. My inspire and the TB47 battery is fortunately relatively new (purchased just 3 months ago).
Absolutely agree with @IrishSights here. The final part of the 'charge' is where the cell balance is done. In some circumstances this can take almost as long as it takes to charge a pack from empty to 95% or so.
It is a delicate process that will apply very small amounts of current to each cell to get a pack usually within 0.02v to each other.
Always let a pack finish it's charge cycle fully or if you must interupt it, return it to a charger later and let it finish it's charge/balance.
Non DJI lipos can be treated differently however unfortunately DJI in making their batteries 'intelligent' have introduced some strange quirks which would not normally be evident in 'stupid' or normal packs.
Many have learnt to their cost that flying partially charged/balanced packs can end in a broken mess!

Reactions: durrantie
What your saying makes sense, I really had no idea it could kill the battery, before drones I used to fly RC planes with multi cell LIPO batteries & I don't remember seeing anything back then either about fully charging, infact sometimes I wouldn't even attach the balancing wires to the charger.

DJI should definitely highlight this information.

Interesting info - thanks.

Last edited:
So can anyone recommend a good battery work flow?

For example, I fully charge my batteries the day before a shoot. Use as needed, but often return home with ones still fully charged including ones fully charged on the filming day just in case they will be needed.

Because of the "intelligent" battery thing (and i'm sooo not battery/electrical minded at all! I can wire a plug!) i've just been leaving them to "do their thing" and auto discharge to storage level.......

Is that right? A good work flow? I'm kinda thinking not if things like battery angel exist?!?!

Any guidance would be ace.

All good, but just make sure to actually use them once in a while (instead of always flying the same ones, and leaving the same others to always do their thing.

Reactions: IrishSights

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marve84