Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Battery Mod Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I finally was able to get this done and gave it a try today. It was cold (27 F) and have a set of 3s 5200 MAH 20C that weighs 331 grms. I also had a set of 3s 3000 mah 35c that weighs 198 grms. Placing these side by side you can certainly tell the difference. But here is the rub, the smaller MAH batter gave me the longest time of 19:45 landing at 20%. The other 5200MAH batteries only gave me until 17:15 mins, landing at 20%. The weight was a major difference. I am looking for 20:00 minutes, with time to come back and land safely from maybe 500 feet out. I think the smaller set of 3000 MAH may work. 198 grams in weight, and its hard to tell they are even attached to the aircraft at all. These times will be off some as I did not run the X3 with this first test.

Attachments

• IMG_1132.JPG
    IMG_1132.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 133
  • IMG_1133.JPG
    IMG_1133.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_1134.JPG
    IMG_1134.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1135.JPG
    IMG_1135.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1136.JPG
    IMG_1136.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 120
Reactions: damoncooper
Well I finally was able to get this done and gave it a try today. It was cold (27 F) and have a set of 3s 5200 MAH 20C that weighs 331 grms. I also had a set of 3s 3000 mah 35c that weighs 198 grms. Placing these side by side you can certainly tell the difference. But here is the rub, the smaller MAH batter gave me the longest time of 19:45 landing at 20%. The other 5200MAH batteries only gave me until 17:15 mins, landing at 20%. The weight was a major difference. I am looking for 20:00 minutes, with time to come back and land safely from maybe 500 feet out. I think the smaller set of 3000 MAH may work. 198 grams in weight, and its hard to tell they are even attached to the aircraft at all. These times will be off some as I did not run the X3 with this first test.

Best flight time for me so far were 2 X 2650 6S's at 28:29 flight time to 10% with an X3.

Someone above tested 2 X 2800 6S's and got 30+min if I recall.

I've been through about a dozen battery combos now and one of the problems with low-C batteries (DJI and Multistars) is they don't drain equality in parallel with main and leave a lot of capacity in the battery while the main TB4X is depleted. It's counterintuitive but the DJI charging logic I think is in play somehow.

If you want 28+ min, simply goto 2 X the Turnigy 6S 2650 and you should be good to go.

More time would be ok..but I want to keep the weight down. I only wish for 20 mins...I think the 3s 3000 MAH 35c at 198 grams will be good. They are not even noticeable when they are on the bird and you pick it up.

More time would be ok..but I want to keep the weight down. I only wish for 20 mins...I think the 3s 3000 MAH 35c at 198 grams will be good. They are not even noticeable when they are on the bird and you pick it up.

That should get you over 20min yes. I did quite a bit of testing, and you can get 25min with 2 X 2200mah 6S and 23min with the 1300mah if I recall as well if you want to go lighter.

That should get you over 20min yes. I did quite a bit of testing, and you can get 25min with 2 X 2200mah 6S and 23min with the 1300mah if I recall as well if you want to go lighter.
my test are base on the following.
- real batteries status. ie. exact % left on the tb 47 or 48 and the additional.
- flying style behavior ( because too heavy aren't controllable.)
- times and distance test.
- temperature test of tb47 or 48 and the additional batteries.
Dammon suggested using the 2200, I would prefer to use the 1550mah.

Reactions: damoncooper
Damon
Here are the twin 2800 mounted as flown with the t48. I have tried the carbon fibre arms and a couple of different mounting methods. The carbon fibre as I pictured earlier proved to wobble some in flight and with that weight so outboard created some minor stability issues. So while they really do weigh 379 g and are 30c mounting mire inboard would be better. HOWEVER ADDING ANY WEIGHT TO THE X5 GIMBAL MOUNT SHOULD BE AVOIDED AS EARLIER POSTS DRAW ATTENTION TO THE X5 WEAKNESS IN THE METALERGY AND SEVERAL CAMERAS HAVE DEPARTED IN FLIGHT WITHOUT EXTRA WEIGHT

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,001.3 KB · Views: 116
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 117
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 115
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 120
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 111
Damon
Here are the twin 2800 mounted as flown with the t48. I have tried the carbon fibre arms and a couple of different mounting methods. The carbon fibre as I pictured earlier proved to wobble some in flight and with that weight so outboard created some minor stability issues. So while they really do weigh 379 g and are 30c mounting mire inboard would be better. HOWEVER ADDING ANY WEIGHT TO THE X5 GIMBAL MOUNT SHOULD BE AVOIDED AS EARLIER POSTS DRAW ATTENTION TO THE X5 WEAKNESS IN THE METALERGY AND SEVERAL CAMERAS HAVE DEPARTED IN FLIGHT WITHOUT EXTRA WEIGHT
Your setup might harm the front motor? Those 2x2800 additional batteries are leaning too much to the front...... any chance to pull it backward a little bit?

Sure I can move them back and forth on the rail. I want to keep the 390g more centered and slightly front of the main battery. I put the drone in a simple see saw to balance it before and after batteries were installed. It's within an inch of where it was. Thanks for the input!

Reactions: tcchow
Let me know when the x5 version is available. Does the attach to the gimbal mount as it appears?

The X3 version attaches directly to the aircraft as pictured.

The X5 version will be similar but attach to the hard mounted part of the X5 gimbal plate in the same position, but NOT touching the X5 damper plate attached to the base plate by rubber dampers, if that makes sense.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452055860.773089.jpg

is that 3d printed? if so can you get details about what material and infil he has used?

Has anyone done the modification to the Inspire battery themselves, if so could you post pictures of the soldering of leads underneath the cap? After reading this thread, I just ordered a custom auxiliary battery from MaxAmps and have all the wires and connectors for the mod just looking for some reference pictures of actual soldered leads underneath. I found one PDF document, but didn't show actual solder joints. Any advice would be appreciated.

Has anyone done the modification to the Inspire battery themselves, if so could you post pictures of the soldering of leads underneath the cap? After reading this thread, I just ordered a custom auxiliary battery from MaxAmps and have all the wires and connectors for the mod just looking for some reference pictures of actual soldered leads underneath. I found one PDF document, but didn't show actual solder joints. Any advice would be appreciated.

Just have a look at where the LIPO cells are soldered to the control board and work out which one is +ve and which one is -ve. It should be easy enough to just solder directly to the top of the wires that come from the LIPO. I had a phantom battery apart yesterday and I assume they are somewhat the same....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
demmymusic