Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Battery Mod Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something sounds really wrong about this. I have an I1v2 with T-motor carbon fiber 1448 propellers, carrying an X3 camera and a Multistar LiHV 6S 6600mAH battery (~900grams) and had no issues up to 3000m ASL (~9800ft). It did have to work a little harder, I did get shorter flight times, but overall if I didn't know I was up in the mountains, I honestly would have just through it was a bit windier than usual from how the Inspire responded to my inputs, it was not very noticeable for me.
Have you ever taken photos of how the blades react at altitude? I flew for over a month without taking photos thinking everything was fine with the 1360T propellers which caused me to buy two complete sets of the XOAR 2nd Gen Carbin Fiber Propellers. Where as my 1360T Propellers performed very well at altitude and didn't appear any different from without the Aux Batteries when I installed the CF Propellers it took full throttle to take off as they are low altitude props. I've never tried the T-Motor 1448 Carbon Fiber Blades. I'd like to hear from others using the T-Motor 1448 Carbon Fiber Blades at altitude before I buy them.

Propeller and wings flex in flight in all aircrafts. The angles your taking them from unless perfectly level with the plane of the props and camera are not accurate measure of deflection. They can't be as the ac is going up and down as your filming
Having flown fixed and rotary wing aircraft at high altitude since the 1950s I'm very familiar with blade and wing flex but what I'm experiencing with my I 1V2 is not normal. I tried to attach a photo before but will try again.
653b01c74041b6498560bd70aa1ee907.jpg

Propeller and wings flex in flight in all aircrafts. The angles your taking them from unless perfectly level with the plane of the props and camera are not accurate measure of deflection. They can't be as the ac is going up and down as your filming

I took the same photos at eye level but wanted to get up above turbulence close to the ground. If this appears normal to you I personally don't trust it. I removed all Aux Batteries and attach hardware/wiring and reinstalled my 1360T Propellers and again took photos at the same altitudes and had none of this extreme flapping. I don't want a blade strike.

I took the same photos at eye level but wanted to get up above turbulence close to the ground. If this appears normal to you I personally don't trust it. I removed all Aux Batteries and attach hardware/wiring and reinstalled my 1360T Propellers and again took photos at the same altitudes and had none of this extreme flapping. I don't want a blade strike.
273ec79162804516c4a88d9f3d4d2229.jpg

This photo was of the 1360T blades with normal flapping at the same altitude and location.

I'll bow out of this as it's not on the batt topic.whereuou mounted them on the arms is what is causing your issues . Mount under the battery with the bat wings and you'll have no airflow interference with props. Good luck from an atp rated fixed and rotorwing rated pilot with a degree in aeronautical eng. I use the hi alt props and two 359 g batts. No issues at 1000 msl . The ac has issues with reg props and hi density alt . Much better with hi alt props.

I'll bow out of this as it's not on the batt topic.whereuou mounted them on the arms is what is causing your issues . Mount under the battery with the bat wings and you'll have no airflow interference with props. Good luck from an atp rated fixed and rotorwing rated pilot with a degree in aeronautical eng. I use the hi alt props and two 359 g batts. No issues at 1000 msl . The ac has issues with reg props and hi density alt . Much better with hi alt props.
Here are the batteries mounted under the fuselage using the UAV MODS Batwings using 1360T Blades. The first photo was using the CF Blades. Mounted on the Arms.
a05ba05b56f679a2a128b42fe940480f.jpg

Don't bow out as this is a result of the Aux Batteries Mod flying in a hover!

Here are the batteries mounted under the fuselage using the UAV MODS Batwings using 1360T Blades. The first photo was using the CF Blades. Mounted on the Arms.
a05ba05b56f679a2a128b42fe940480f.jpg

Don't bow out as this is a result of the Aux Batteries Mod flying in a hover!
The plastic blades are flexing but don't think your blades bend so much. You have to take the photos with the highest possible shutter speed so to avoid the motion blur as well the rolling shutter effect. All cameras that have CMOS sensor are suffering from rolling shutter effect on fast moving objects (the blades).
Here's a video explaining the rolling shutter with nice examples.

Reactions: The_Learning_Curve
Nice clean modification of the Power Distribution Board!
Thanks! This is the second time i did this, the first time looks like a pregnant one, it has a big bulge especially with a gauge 12 wet noodle wires I used.

The plastic blades are flexing but don't think your blades bend so much. You have to take the photos with the highest possible shutter speed so to avoid the motion blur as well the rolling shutter effect. All cameras that have CMOS sensor are suffering from rolling shutter effect on fast moving objects (the blades).
Here's a video explaining the rolling shutter with nice examples.
I've been taking photographs since the 1940s but your post opened my eyes as to the latest in digital cameras. Since you posted about rolling shutters I'm still confused as to why this extreme flexing of my propellers "only happens" when carrying Aux Batteries at altitude. I've studied dozens of photos taken at sea level and also at altitude, all without the weight of the Aux Batteries, all taken with the same LG V20 Smartphone, and none have this extreme flexing. My only concern is I don't want a blade strike or a blade breaking in flight. I hope you're correct. Thanks for posting

Reactions: oldcomputech
1) BENEFITS

- 100% protection against DJI main battery shutdown (for any reason) in flight, cell failures, voltage sags, weather induced problems etc. Even if the TB4X main battery SHUTS OFF, the Inspire will keep flying on auxiliary battery power to get you home safely.

- Longer flight time. This thread documents flights on the Inspire v1 with an X3 camera of over 30 mins to 10%. Your rig and battery config will vary but you can definitely stay up longer.

- Less strain on main DJI TB4X batteries. Because DJI batteries are 10C, and with X5 and X5R putting more strain in these low C batteries, connecting up higher C external batteries significantly lessens the strain on the main battery as all batteries discharge together, providing power to the aircraft.

2) HOW TO

- For do-it-yourselfers:

Dropbox - Battery Mod DJI inspire.pdf

Credit to Michael Head for putting together the how to PDF.

- If you don't feel like doing the modification yourself, there are companies out there now that will do it for you for a fee, usually in the $75/battery range. I am aware of these two, ping me if you know of others and I can add them here:

In the US:

- Inspire 1 Power Mod - Midwest Horizon FPV Antennas

- FlyHighUSA - includes new white TB48, mount, mod, etc: DJI Inspire Battery Mod TB48

- FlyHighUSA - includes new black TB48, mount, mod, etc: DJI Inspire Battery Mod TB48

In the UK:

- FlyHighUSA will ship worldwide, see link above.

- Inspire 1 3 Power Mod V2

3) HOW TO ATTACH EXTERNAL BATTERIES

Methods can vary but are a lightweight but strong battery holder plate for folks with the X3, X5 or X5R camera I helped design with Neil Watts. (I get no remuneration from this, just glad to help others who want to do the mod get going quickly):

DJI Inspire 1 X3/X5 Dual Battery Plate - Aero3D

4) ADDITIONAL TIPS:

- if you are connecting one 6S or two 3S's (via series harness), you only need one set of wires coming out of the battery.

- If connecting two 6S's (my personal preference due to the Inspire's unique design and the ability to more easily mount and balance them), you can plug one in on either side of the modified battery OR connect the 2 X 6S external batteries via parallel harness first, then plug into one side of the modified battery.
Damon
1) BENEFITS

- 100% protection against DJI main battery shutdown (for any reason) in flight, cell failures, voltage sags, weather induced problems etc. Even if the TB4X main battery SHUTS OFF, the Inspire will keep flying on auxiliary battery power to get you home safely.

- Longer flight time. This thread documents flights on the Inspire v1 with an X3 camera of over 30 mins to 10%. Your rig and battery config will vary but you can definitely stay up longer.

- Less strain on main DJI TB4X batteries. Because DJI batteries are 10C, and with X5 and X5R putting more strain in these low C batteries, connecting up higher C external batteries significantly lessens the strain on the main battery as all batteries discharge together, providing power to the aircraft.

2) HOW TO

- For do-it-yourselfers:

Dropbox - Battery Mod DJI inspire.pdf

Credit to Michael Head for putting together the how to PDF.

- If you don't feel like doing the modification yourself, there are companies out there now that will do it for you for a fee, usually in the $75/battery range. I am aware of these two, ping me if you know of others and I can add them here:

In the US:

- Inspire 1 Power Mod - Midwest Horizon FPV Antennas

- FlyHighUSA - includes new white TB48, mount, mod, etc: DJI Inspire Battery Mod TB48

- FlyHighUSA - includes new black TB48, mount, mod, etc: DJI Inspire Battery Mod TB48

In the UK:

- FlyHighUSA will ship worldwide, see link above.

- Inspire 1 3 Power Mod V2

3) HOW TO ATTACH EXTERNAL BATTERIES

Methods can vary but are a lightweight but strong battery holder plate for folks with the X3, X5 or X5R camera I helped design with Neil Watts. (I get no remuneration from this, just glad to help others who want to do the mod get going quickly):

DJI Inspire 1 X3/X5 Dual Battery Plate - Aero3D

4) ADDITIONAL TIPS:

- if you are connecting one 6S or two 3S's (via series harness), you only need one set of wires coming out of the battery.

- If connecting two 6S's (my personal preference due to the Inspire's unique design and the ability to more easily mount and balance them), you can plug one in on either side of the modified battery OR connect the 2 X 6S external batteries via parallel harness first, then plug into one side of the modified battery.
Damon, is there a proper procedure to attach and detach the aux batteries? I mean do you have to turn on first the main battery before turning on the aux? And also do you have to detach the aux battery first before burning off the aircraft? Any info is highly appreciated.

Just finished my custom mount (a piece of thin aluminium at the base and Velcros) for the aux batteries. For batteries i used two 5200 3S from my xiro explorer connected in series.

Attachments

• IMG_1540.JPG
    IMG_1540.JPG
    927 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1543.JPG
    IMG_1543.JPG
    875.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1548.JPG
    IMG_1548.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 93
Reactions: oldcomputech
Thinking of doing this mod on my TB47, not for longer flight times but as a redundancy against battery failures.
So have some questions, first off how will the battery monitoring process be affected? Will it still monitor the main battery as usual and not count the aux batteries in any way?

Can this battery mod somehow affect the batteries or battery monitoring in that way that the craft falls out of the sky due to the batteries turning off for some reason, i.e have the opposite effect from why i want to make the battery mod in the first place?
Because I've read on a website that sells the aux battery adapter that he warned that the aux batteries can start to charge the main battery instead if you don't start the craft very soon after you connect the aux batteries?
So thats why I'm wondering if it can mess up things instead?

Finally what mAh batteries are suitable to use on the mod for redundancy? Is 5000 mAh LIPO´s suitable,or should one go with a lower mAh for lower weight?

How many cells is suitable, 3, 4, 6?

Sorry if some of these questions is already answered in this thread, but i didn't want to read thru 97 pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcusFalc