Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Battery Mod Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the AC powered on my aux batts charged a tb48 from 13% to 40% in 15 minutes. Aux went from 100% to 60%. Two 2200
So can I use aux batteries to charge my dji batts powered off? Maybe two 7000 Mah...

Or better yet can I charge my dji batteries from my lipo charger/balancer? Both cables plugged in should charge my batteries like a fast charge!

Just a quick update on the idea to defeat the capacity limit of the DJI battery: I think I now have all the pieces in place and just need some time to flight test. Hopefully Sat I'll know whether the approach I'm taking will pay off in extra flight time or be a complete dud.
Dude, you're keeping us in suspense :)

Dude, you're keeping us in suspense :)
Been sick the last 5-6 days unfortunately. Sorry about that. Hopefully this Sat.

I do have some very small but powerful voltage parts inbound from China this week for some added options.

Been sick the last 5-6 days unfortunately. Sorry about that. Hopefully this Sat.

I do have some very small but powerful voltage parts inbound from China this week for some added options.
Hi Damon

Hope you are feeling better soon, I am just wondering if you have any insight on how your test went with the 7000mah hi voltage battery. I am thinking of getting a couple of these and stringing 1 together with a tb48 rather than 2 2700 TP and a tb48. Also I have removed the VPS so I can mount directly under the battery on the inspire so I can eliminate the bracket. Is this where you are currently mounting your 7000mah?

Just would like to know as TP has their sale on till the end of tomorrow.

Thanks
John

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Hi Damon

Hope you are feeling better soon, I am just wondering if you have any insight on how your test went with the 7000mah hi voltage battery. I am thinking of getting a couple of these and stringing 1 together with a tb48 rather than 2 2700 TP and a tb48. Also I have removed the VPS so I can mount directly under the battery on the inspire so I can eliminate the bracket. Is this where you are currently mounting your 7000mah?

Just would like to know as TP has their sale on till the end of tomorrow.

Thanks
John

Not yet, as I need to get by the limitation of the config where plenty of power remains in aux battery, but because the main battery is depleted to 10%, the flight is over. That's the problem I'm working on currently. Once I have a solution in hand for that, I can go back to the larger batteries and make use of their power for added flight time.

Reactions: John Boylan
Not yet, as I need to get by the limitation of the config where plenty of power remains in aux battery, but because the main battery is depleted to 10%, the flight is over. That's the problem I'm working on currently. Once I have a solution in hand for that, I can go back to the larger batteries and make use of their power for added flight time.
Yeah I understand what you mean cause the once the main battery hits that 10% it is automatically wanting to land.

Is what you are working on including that 7000mah HV battery or are you using other batteries for this unknown experiment at the moment?

John

Yeah I understand what you mean cause the once the main battery hits that 10% it is automatically wanting to land.

Is what you are working on including that 7000mah HV battery or are you using other batteries for this unknown experiment at the moment?

John

I'm trying an approach that theoretically should remove the limits imposed by the DJI battery. I'll have more to tell if it works :)

Reactions: Phatzo
I'm trying an approach that theoretically should remove the limits imposed by the DJI battery. I'll have more to tell if it works :)
Man ohh man you are not letting anything out of the bag. I can see your reasoning though. Thanks for experimenting, we are all so patiently waiting [emoji2]

I don't think you will have your experimenting done by the time the sale is over so I think I will go ahead and order some of those 7000man HV batteries anyways.

Thanks again and look forward to hearing your results. Good luck too!

Reactions: damoncooper
1) BENEFITS

- 100% protection against DJI main battery shutdown (for any reason) in flight, cell failures, voltage sags, weather induced problems etc. Even if the TB4X main battery SHUTS OFF, the Inspire will keep flying on auxiliary battery power to get you home safely.

- Longer flight time. This thread documents flights on the Inspire v1 with an X3 camera of over 30 mins to 10%. Your rig and battery config will vary but you can definitely stay up longer.

- Less strain on main DJI TB4X batteries. Because DJI batteries are 10C, and with X5 and X5R putting more strain in these low C batteries, connecting up higher C external batteries significantly lessens the strain on the main battery as all batteries discharge together, providing power to the aircraft.

2) HOW TO

- For do-it-yourselfers:

Dropbox - Battery Mod DJI inspire.pdf

Credit to Michael Head for putting together the how to PDF.

- If you don't feel like doing the modification yourself, there are companies out there now that will do it for you for a fee, usually in the $75/battery range. I am aware of these two, ping me if you know of others and I can add them here:

In the US:

Inspire 1 Power Mod - Midwest Horizon FPV Antennas

In the UK:

Inspire 1 3 Power Mod V2

3) HOW TO ATTACH EXTERNAL BATTERIES

Methods can vary but are a lightweight but strong battery holder plate for folks with the X3, X5 or X5R camera I helped design with Neil Watts. (I get no remuneration from this, just glad to help others who want to do the mod get going quickly):

DJI Inspire 1 X3/X5 Dual Battery Plate - Aero3D

4) ADDITIONAL TIPS:

- if you are connecting one 6S or two 3S's (via series harness), you only need one set of wires coming out of the battery.

- If connecting two 6S's (my personal preference due to the Inspire's unique design and the ability to more easily mount and balance them), you can plug one in on either side of the modified battery OR connect the 2 X 6S external batteries via parallel harness first, then plug into one side of the modified battery.
Did you try the battery mod yourself ?

Yeah it is easy but you should take the time to go through it. If you can't do it on your own you can buy modded batteries from Ralph@HighFlyUsa (or so..)

Chris
Ok thanks , I want to try it , I lost my first inspire1 from a bad battery , I think this will give me a little time to land

Such good info here! I have a couple of questions

1. What is the current best battery's for the x5? 1500 s6?
2. When our main dji pack has ended it's life can we take the battery apart and replace with a higher capacity pack?

Tia

Such good info here! I have a couple of questions

1. What is the current best battery's for the x5? 1500 s6?
2. When our main dji pack has ended it's life can we take the battery apart and replace with a higher capacity pack?

Tia

2 X Thunder Power 2700 6S 25C have proven one of the best so far.

You can gut a DJI battery and replace its cells with higher capacity but getting the pack PCB to recognize the larger capacity is problematic. Richard is working on a solution for that if he cares to share.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lily212