Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Battery Mod Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Fanti
Guys, I had it done professionally in a shop. I can post more pics, but you will see nothing at all. Thats the beauty of it. All the cable run internally, the only thing you see is what I posted already.

It doesnt see the batteries but it does show the remaining flight time correctly. Counting down from 25 mins though. Lets you have 30 mins flight time it will stay at 25 mins for 5 mins then count down correctly.
Any idea what triggers the countdown?

Here is how I accessed the power distribution board:

1. Place inspire arms to flight mode manually by turning the worm gear counter clockwise.
20160328_201839.jpg

2. Remove the nose.
20160328_202514.jpg
3. Remove the shell.
20160328_203359.jpg 20160328_203620.jpg
4. Unplug 6 cables. 3 per side, lift away flexible plastic for clearance.
20160328_203818.jpg 20160328_203925.jpg
5. Unscrew board.
20160328_204357.jpg
6. Solder wires either to the wires to motors or at the tab. Here's my shoddy soldering at the tabs with 12awg. Buttered a bit much on the positive one but the ground much better (used Flux on that one lol). Snake through existing holes for the motor wiring.
20160328_222622.jpg
7. Reassemble and wire to your battery set up specs. I am wiring for 2 x 3s lipos.
20160329_010428.jpg20160329_010400.jpg

Just going to add a schottky diode and cut-off circuit later on since lipos I just got are only 3000mah 15c turnigy graphene (424g for 2), don'the want to blow these up just yet :). For now will be running down the mains to match the auxiliary voltage before I try them out.

Probably going to skip the schottky and cut off. Added weight of components not much benefit and because I'm already paralleled the entire time with a higher C rated aux pack, the system should meet my needs without the protection. Will order battery meter instead to check aux voltage levels in case I forget to charge them.

and i missed to be first to do this... dohhh :) way to go guys :D
i will be ordering soon some batteries and the holder :) finally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, should the aux battery have a higher mah capacity or lower than the main DJI battery ??

So, should the aux battery have a higher mah capacity or lower than the main DJI battery ??

C rating more important. Higher than 10c recommended to prevent high vdrop when pushed. This will allow the aux to assist in powering through the entire flight as it will draw out only when it is higher or same voltage as the main pack. High mah is up to you, but the weight is not in your favour.

I got 2 3s 1800mah at 75c. Would I be able to use these? I've done the mod but using 2x Phantom 2 batts and getting 18 mins hovering and down to 20%. It's an increase as I was only getting around 12 ish mins before. Oh and the batt is a TB47.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

25C is about the right balance between discharge and weight
Damon have you tried the high voltage ones yet from thunderpower? I have just received some from them to give a try the 3500mah 6s ones. Just wondering cause they are lower C

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

C rating more important. Higher than 10c recommended to prevent high vdrop when pushed. This will allow the aux to assist in powering through the entire flight as it will draw out only when it is higher or same voltage as the main pack. High mah is up to you, but the weight is not in your favour.
If you connect the fully charged auxiliary battery in parallel to the fully charged main pack, voltage should be the same in both packs throughout the flight (maybe not at the beginning where they will equalise). So why would the main pack draw current only when the voltage of auxiliary pack is higher? Voltage should always be the same for each battery connected in parallel. What am I missing ?

If you connect the fully charged auxiliary battery in parallel to the fully charged main pack, voltage should be the same in both packs throughout the flight (maybe not at the beginning where they will equalise). So why would the main pack draw current only when the voltage of auxiliary pack is higher? Voltage should always be the same for each battery connected in parallel. What am I missing ?

In a word: FET. In the TB4X.

As Damon pointed out there is a BMS on the main pack with a voltage difference threshold. This hinders current flow back to the main pack but does not hinder current flow to the aux pack. Thus you can use the aux pack to its full potential as its expending more of its capacity at high loading yet it still able to balance with the main pack, that is if you have a high C aux. Low C aux will lag behind the main in expending it's power during high loads since it can only move so much current without dropping it's voltage. In this case the aux will only supply the majority of power when the main used up a good chunk of its capacity causing its voltage to decrease allowing the aux to go lower in voltage and supply more of the high load demand. Add the fact you can't charge back to the main pack after such high loading, there will be a little bit of juice left in the low c pack. It will just supply power to the AC until the two balance out or until your quad lands because it thinks you are down to your 10% from the bms reading, even though you got more in the aux left to spare.

Mind you, if you use high C and really high mah pack, you are contending with weight disadvantage and charge back from voltage difference between the two packs after long high loading. A very high mah pack requires a lot of capacity to reach the same voltage level as the main pack. So in this case you will drain the main pack earlier than the aux.

Quite the balancing act.

Reactions: KyleMaxxUav
Ok, so let me ask this then, if I were to split a tb47 or tb48 (because I have one that has a problem with the smart board but the cells are perfect) and with that battery create 2 3s batteries which I connect in series on each side of the inspire. Now with that 6s battery if I attach that in parallel & connect the balance leads in parallel to the battery inside the inspire, I would potentially have a 6 cell battery where each cell was actually 2 cells in parallel right ? And I could use my DJI 180 watt charger to charge & balance this massive battery ?

What do you guys think ?

Ok, so let me ask this then, if I were to split a tb47 or tb48 (because I have one that has a problem with the smart board but the cells are perfect) and with that battery create 2 3s batteries which I connect in series on each side of the inspire. Now with that 6s battery if I attach that in parallel & connect the balance leads in parallel to the battery inside the inspire, I would potentially have a 6 cell battery where each cell was actually 2 cells in parallel right ? And I could use my DJI 180 watt charger to charge & balance this massive battery ?

What do you guys think ?

You can definitely do that with identical cells. Though I think I'very read one person on this thread already tried connecting a higher mah pack and balance charge through the bms but found there is a mah input limit. However I don't know if they tried charging it twice. IE unplug and plug in charger again to see if it would reset the limit or unplug the balance leads to reset the board for a double charge. You can be the first to give it a shot! :)

Reactions: KyleMaxxUav
You can definitely do that with identical cells. Though I think I'very read one person on this thread already tried connecting a higher mah pack and balance charge through the bms but found there is a mah input limit. However I don't know if they tried charging it twice. IE unplug and plug in charger again to see if it would reset the limit or unplug the balance leads to reset the board for a double charge. You can be the first to give it a shot! :)

Already tried several times; :) there is a design capacity limit set by factory that you can not pass over.

Somebody needs to find out how to create a CFW for battery circuit.

Design was 6S3P from TB48 cells (8550mAh) total. Which can be charged from original charger easily.

Reactions: anv
I've had following discharge:
TB47 with 2x3S 3A10C battery - on beginning and up to first 5 min TB47 used 6-7A / 10A after 11minutes / 11,5A at the end of a flight. Ended using 1.3 time more mAh from TB47 than aux.
TB48 with 2x3S 4A10C battery - on the beginning TB48 used 14-13A / 9.5-10A at the end of a flight. Ended using almost the same amount of mAh on both TB48 and aux.
Measured with fpv app

Already tried several times; :) there is a design capacity limit set by factory that you can not pass over.

Somebody needs to find out how to create a CFW for battery circuit.

Design was 6S3P from TB48 cells (8550mAh) total. Which can be charged from original charger easily.

Ah... Would you mind sending me some photos of your setup ??? If love to see how you did it !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristiFar