Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Battery powered LED dome strobe?

Do they interfere with the video: as in, do they show up as a flickering? It would seem that even with the legs in flight position that there is reflection off the props, which might register on the lens, especially with the camera off forward orientation. Is this worse at night?

Is there a strobe orientation or position that solves this, if it is indeed a problem?

Nope, no strobing. I have one directly underneath the bird and one on the Airframe back. None whatsoever in terms of reflection. The nice thing is not having to change batts. They recharge fully via USB and last at full glow for HOURS. Finally, a strobe that for me and my tired eyes allow me to see it at great distance

Very sorry for your crash/loss.

I'm thinking the Flytrex Live 3G is in my future after reading stories like this.
Thanks Damon!!
Only problem with these types of devices is if you crash hard they can break..
Had a zip tie around my tk102 but apparently it didn't help..
I'm thinking of making a case to prevent it from breaking apart on impact..
Sure would have liked to have had one of those cool stobes you found on board so I could have sent my inspire to find it..
Lesson learned..
Turbo..

AND as an aside, I guess there is a chance for 'peace in our lifetime' as ol' QP and I are talking civilly to one another and exchanging opinions as adults rather then as rancorous louts..

Reactions: Quadpilot
Thanks Damon!!

Sure would have liked to have had one of those cool stobes you found on board so I could have sent my inspire to find it..
Turbo..

Only a minor point but he didn't actually find it. I did. So credit where credit due I believe.
On another note yes these strobes are fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update: I took off in brilliant sunshine on Sunday with two of these strobes running and I could see them clearly at at least 150m, but that's from recollection, not measurement.

Honestly I was broadcasting live, trying new FW, new pilot app, new ND8 filter and had a local bystander audience so I forgot to test and note visibility with so much going on.

Next time I'll test and report back on exactly how far these can be seen.

Also of note: I ended up having to point one straight down and one backward due to proximity to props when arm-mounting these two.

But when coming home, an unexpected great side effect was I could VERY quickly locate the aircraft above at 100m+. That was awesome!

Reactions: douglas.brownlie
Only a minor point but he didn't actually find it. I did. So credit where credit due I believe.
On another note yes these strobes are fantastic.

Ya man!!
If you read these threads closely you'll see it happens ..lol..
Everyone wants to be a drone star!!
Turbo. ...

He was thanking me for being sympathetic the loss of his phantom aircraft, not for finding the lights in that post.
No he wasn't. His words were sure would have liked to have one of those strobes you found on board.
So please don't try and justify it to me. Just accept the fact that you weren't the one to find them.

Guys, I have cleaned up this thread a little.

I do not care who actually 'found' the strobes the fact that the information has been shared is important, not who has 'ownership' of the discovery.

Can we get back on topic "Battery powered led strobes" or the thread will be locked?

Thanks

I absolutely did not find these LEDs originally, for the record.

I'll be flying this morning in bright sunshine and I'll take some video of them and measure visibility distance.

I found a few small 7.2 2s batteries in the drawer and decided to make my own rechargeable headlight.

The LED ring I used is part of a 5$ flashlight I once found in a hardware store, I purchased it only for the ring. Ideally I would have to use a 12V 2s Lipo to get the maximum out of them. But with the 7.2 it works quite good as well. Everything is attached with super velcro and very easy to take off.

Doesn't look much on the ground but in the air it's very visible from a great distance and height.
inpsire1 headlight 3.jpg inspire headlight1.jpg sinprire1 headlight 2.jpg

Has anybody tried this?
2618859224626464_1.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261885922462?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
2618738010236464_1.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261873801023?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
I'm interested of visibility range in the dark.

Reactions: Newbie74
1W won't be visible in daylight not bright enough.

I tried a bunch of LEDs and nothing was bright enough to matter in daylight at distance other than the ones further up in this thread. They are 160 lumens (2.1W) each at max and I got 2. Expensive but self powered with rechargeable batteries good for 5 hours of run time and only 40g each without the metal ring.

Reactions: douglas.brownlie
1W won't be visible in daylight not bright enough.

I tried a bunch of LEDs and nothing was bright enough to matter in daylight at distance other than the ones further up in this thread. They are 160 lumens (2.1W) each at max and I got 2. Expensive but self powered with rechargeable batteries good for 5 hours of run time and only 40g each without the metal ring.
Well said.
My apologies for the other day. I was not having a particularly good day and it was taken out on you. Anyway good vid that you posted.

Reactions: damoncooper
Ok final post on these LED strobes. I've ripped off the brackets with a pair of vice grips, added 3M duo lock and have forward and rear facing, both slightly tilted down. I'll be able to see the Inspire coming and going. The 3M duo lock makes them easily removeable but securely mounted.

Quick stats: 160 lumens (2.1W each) at full beam setting, rechargeable via USB, charge lasts about 5 hours, they weigh about 40g each with metal ring and bracket removed, multiple beam/strobe patterns selectable (to differentiate front from back or night flying. About $50 each (not cheap but a great solution to aid in visibility IMO).

Also makes for additional "ooohs" and "ahhhs" from by-standers vs no strobes I've found as an interesting side effect. It seems like a very high-end aircraft with strobes like a real airplane I guess people think. Also looks very impressive when coming back for a landing. But your mileage may vary :)

NOTE: Full credit for finding these goes to Mr Brownlie here further up in this thread. Great find!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432045460.115099.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1432045471.483616.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432045481.855153.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432045493.028159.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432045505.435273.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenuk