Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Bendy horizon

Reaction score
Hi

The following shot was taken on my first flight, i've leveled the horizon but it still seems a little bent (more of an 'S' on it's side than a curve - I know with gopros this is even more pronounced, but I wondered if this is normal for the inspire camera, and also the best way of fixing? I have After Effects, Premiere and Resolve! Thanks!

wonky_1.7.11.jpg

Hi

The following shot was taken on my first flight, i've leveled the horizon but it still seems a little bent (more of an 'S' on it's side than a curve - I know with gopros this is even more pronounced, but I wondered if this is normal for the inspire camera, and also the best way of fixing? I have After Effects, Premiere and Resolve! Thanks!

wonky_1.7.11.jpg

First question: Is this a frame grab from video or a still? If it's the former, you can try and fix in AE, if the latter, in Photoshop. The Inspire lens does have some distortion (not perfectly rectilinear. Hopefully Adobe will offer a lens correction fix in PS and LR. Just so you know that you're not alone in this problem. It's a lens characteristic.

Hi Quadpilot

Thanks for your quick response, this is a video screen grab! It looks like Boris FX has an (expensive) plugin for Resolve for lens correction, but it seems 'optics compensation' in After Effects is the way to go for me.

If it was evenly warped either side then yes, but I was questioning it because it's more of an S on its side than a C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Inspire 1 camera uses an aspherical lens (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspheric_lens), which is not actually "flat" like some have suggested. It's certainly "flatter" than the GoPro "fisheye" lens, but it does still produce distortion that should be corrected in post via a lens profile (or "lens correction" filter) in the popular video/ image editing tools.

Whether the distortion in the image above is a result of the aspherical lens or a problem with the OP's specific camera, I don't know though.

I think it's the lens, I have been able to see a hint of that myself. I have however had to look pretty much through all the footage I've shot since I got my I1 to find a situation where it was noticeable. Total non-issue from my point of view.

I think it's the lens, I have been able to see a hint of that myself. I have however had to look pretty much through all the footage I've shot since I got my I1 to find a situation where it was noticeable. Total non-issue from my point of view.

Pans produce noticeable distortion on large 4K displays as a result of the aspherical lens (saw this in my pre-purchase research of Inspire 4K video played directly to my 4K TV).

But that's easy enough to compensate for. Keep pans to a minimum and keep them slowwww.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fastprintstar