Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera for UAVs

I thought the same, but surely BMD are aware of the laws (certainly in the UK) that prevent companies from false advertising!?

BMD had nothing to do with that photo, that was made by somebody else, that would mean a unannounced partnership between bmd and dji.

This camera would never fit on the front of the inspire. The i1 camera weighs 220g, any camera made by any company would have to adhere to that weight limit, they may have a little room maybe 250g, 275g, but a camera that weighs 300g alone, add a gimbal and you're climbing into weight that would cause the Inspire to be front heavy altering the flight characteristics. The Inspire was built around it's weight limit..with only a few hundred grams to spare at most.

The i1 sdk should have nothing to do with the ability to make 3rd party cameras, as InterMurph said, any camera made will be through DJI but based on a another companies camera technology...I still hope for a panasonic mft based system in the near feature but we'll see.

@Kirk - my observation was only about BMD and the image on their website, I'm not making any comment on DJI. Draw your own opinions! :)

@skylabimaging - the image I'm talking about is not the Inspire1 photo at the top of this thread it's the image of the camera on a Phantom 2 and it's on the Black Magic website (and it's probably photoshopped and wouldn't work - I get that). Maybe BMD didn't produce it but they certainly put it on their global website. It seems a little strange that if you're selling a camera for use on UAVs that you'd misrepresent it to the community who can figure this stuff out?

I completely understand what an SDK is. I think the comments about 3rd party camera support came from a video on the Verge website from Michael Perry, it's not an opinion of mine!

10kg of lift on a 5kg copter would be way over powered, which can cause the aircraft to float, like a butterfly effect. To lift a 5kg quadcopter (for example) each motor has to lift 1250g at 50% throttle and the aircraft will hover, theoretically most motors are double that at 100% throttle (give or take) but very rarely is anybody flying at 100% throttle, especially on an aerial cinematography platform, typically just hovering with minimal movements. So if a copter is 5kg it has to have a minimum lift of 5kg @ 50% throttle in order to get airborne.

As for the Alturas flight times...40-45min is entirely possible running a 4.6kg with 16600mah lipo. It's just more how the company is measuring that, most companies measure flight times at hover with minimal movements if any and call that a max flight time and depends how far they bring their battery down maybe they drain past the typical 20% rule for marketing purposes. Add in real world components, elevation, wind, air pressure, all that jazz it's probably more in the 30min range.

DJI did the same thing with the Inspire. They marketed their flight times at Approx 18min on the tb47 batteries...realistically, I get about 13-15min ish. depending on how I'm flying.

my english.... I wanted to say that in my quote " so if a copter is 5kg it has to have a lift capacaty a min of 10kg in order to not drop like a stone when catching it from a higher altitude (in case you have to come down faster) and when you add a camera I would go times three for safety reasons.."

I have an octo at the moment. in theory it will take what I am planning but not sure how it will perform in real testing...

In all honesty a phantom could probably carry the camera...Looking at the image
my english.... I wanted to say that in my quote " so if a copter is 5kg it has to have a lift capacaty a min of 10kg in order to not drop like a stone when catching it from a higher altitude (in case you have to come down faster) and when you add a camera I would go times three for safety reasons.."

I have an octo at the moment. in theory it will take what I am planning but not sure how it will perform in real testing...

Operating in a higher altitude would just require a higher rpm motor, for me this isn't really a problem since I'm not flying in the himalayas (someday hopefully) and living in the US I can only go 400ft agl anyway so 4000-4500 is good enough.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marve84