Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Blew my 2nd high pay film job! Please chime in.

My x5s drift issue is worse after the latest firmware update. Nightmare to use for many shots. I too was on a big shoot last weekend but managed to have a workaround for when it became an issue. I was aware of the issue beforehand so was prepared.

Incidentally, my bird is going in to Dji on Monday as the combo of gimbal drift and unstable hovering has made it difficult to use. I will let you know what happens when I get it back.

Using the bird to pan is not the proper way to do it. In a pinch or for re composing shot, yes, but for actual cinematic filming, it is not recommended.

Lol, that’s ludicrous and sounds standoffish. What possible difference does it make as long as you get the shot?

I make rising, yawing and circling a subject all at once without any issues only using the camera tilt wheel. Smooth as glass because I’m used to flying rc helis and controlling 5 axis’ so I should use autopilot just so I can operate the camera separately so I can be ‘proper’ about it?

Reactions: Pescatoral Pursuit
Haven't read through this thread. Kinda got stuck on the "I am knocking it out of the park", kickin' butts and taking names on film sets followed by the explanation of using your finger to aim the camera, not getting the shot 7 times in a row and being replace by a jib.

First of all, if you're going on set, there's a few things you need to do:

One, you make sure you know the limitations of all your equipment. You don't upgrade it. You don't change it. Unless you can test the crap out of it before you need to use it. That's how you make it reliable. Have at least two and ideally three full systems on the ready.

Two, get an idea of what they want to do before BEFORE you go on set. If you plan to fly one-up, they had better be comfortable with the limitations. Better yet, just bring a camera operator. And a VO. If you're "crushing it, bro", you have no reason not to.

You can blame this on DJI if you like but plenty of us bring DJI equipment on set all the time and NEVER let the director down. We get the shot. Because we prepared for it and they know what we can do.

And to the guy who said all the garbage about buying Chinese products that are poorly made and Chinese workers make inferior products, xenophobic much? All I will say is this: what are you doing on a site for a product that is 100% Chinese?

I mean I'd love to buy an American designed and built drone that does what the Inspire 2 does, but there just isn't one. Not even close.

Haven't read through this thread. Kinda got stuck on the "I am knocking it out of the park", kickin' butts and taking names on film sets followed by the explanation of using your finger to aim the camera, not getting the shot 7 times in a row and being replace by a jib.

First of all, if you're going on set, there's a few things you need to do:

One, you make sure you know the limitations of all your equipment. You don't upgrade it. You don't change it. Unless you can test the crap out of it before you need to use it. That's how you make it reliable. Have at least two and ideally three full systems on the ready.

Two, get an idea of what they want to do before BEFORE you go on set. If you plan to fly one-up, they had better be comfortable with the limitations. Better yet, just bring a camera operator. And a VO. If you're "crushing it, bro", you have no reason not to.

You can blame this on DJI if you like but plenty of us bring DJI equipment on set all the time and NEVER let the director down. We get the shot. Because we prepared for it and they know what we can do.

And to the guy who said all the garbage about buying Chinese products that are poorly made and Chinese workers make inferior products, xenophobic much? All I will say is this: what are you doing on a site for a product that is 100% Chinese?

I mean I'd love to buy an American designed and built drone that does what the Inspire 2 does, but there just isn't one. Not even close.
I appreciate your reply. If you do decide to read down further, you will find similar input as well as me taking falling on my sword and taking the intimate blame. In short the shot was not in the plan, I am a small owner operator with limited funds so back units were not an option. Basically I was above my pay-grade on this, but it wasn’t the first time I have throw myself in th deep end. This is is just the first time I got caught without a life-preserver ;) anyway the director has wished me no hard feelings and is bringing me back on set for another gig. This time I asked for enough budget to get a second operator and rent and extra bird. So alls we’ll that ends well and lesssons learned hard are rarely forgotten. Again, thanks for your input!

Don't be a goon. Xenophobia isn't stating the obvious.

Can you clarify for me exactly what part is causing the issue?
And, very cool job to have!!

Wow, that was a long time ago and I have long ago sold my Inspire 2 package. That said, up until the day I owned it, myself and 100s of I2 owners were complaining about the fact that many times while just hovering the camera would just start slowly panning. You would recenter it and it would again creep to the right. The boards and forums were loaded with this complaint and hoped that DJI would fix it with a firmware update, but that never happened at least in the time that I owned it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool