Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

BNUC-S and PFAW in real World setting

Reaction score
Hi All - be interested to get views on this.

I am, first and foremost, a hobbyist videographer but on occasion do work for local businesses mainly to enhance their online presence. This is relatively low level paying hobby, but the majority of the time I charge for is for the video assembling and editing rather than the actual act of filming.

Now I have my Inspire, it occurs to me that I could include a bit of an added extra by including (say) an aerial 'fixing' shot within a package - the reality is that this would probably be a 10 second segment within an overall 3-4 minute piece. In essence I would not be charging for the aerial shot per se.

Question is, if I use an aerial element, even though the main part of my itemised (modest) charge is for editing, do I need to go down the route of PFAW and the attendant cost and time delay in getting this sorted?

I'll probably fire off an email to CAA about this too to see if there are are pragmatic guidelines.
Thanks
Steve

Reality is your shooting s for a commercial element for which you are charging a total price. it is likely to be considered commercial filming...... which frankly is exactly what it is.

That said ... in this line of work its often better to seek forgiveness than permission.

Ah an
Reality is your shooting s for a commercial element for which you are charging a total price. it is likely to be considered commercial filming...... which frankly is exactly what it is.

That said ... in this line of work its often better to seek forgiveness than permission.
Ah the old "email to CAA" chestnut.

On email to CAA you will get

1. An auto generated response giving you all the standard answers wrt "drones"

2.An complete inability to speak to a human being regarding your particular issue!

3. Complete frustration in your repeated attempts to speak to "someone"

4.A complete disdain how a publicly funded organisation seemingly pretends to be professional can operate....

Rules are only getting tighter around UAS' combined with the CAA are activity looking out for unregistered pilots online, I'd prefer to be legal even if it is a short irregular flight. Also many of the clients I'm finding are asking about CAA permission/insurance.

Last edited:
Still need permission I'm afraid, regardless of the time and money. The mere fact that you are enhancing the end product for the client could be considered commercial gain even if you did't get paid for it

Reactions: jamesbastable
Hi All - be interested to get views on this.

I am, first and foremost, a hobbyist videographer but on occasion do work for local businesses mainly to enhance their online presence. This is relatively low level paying hobby, but the majority of the time I charge for is for the video assembling and editing rather than the actual act of filming.

Now I have my Inspire, it occurs to me that I could include a bit of an added extra by including (say) an aerial 'fixing' shot within a package - the reality is that this would probably be a 10 second segment within an overall 3-4 minute piece. In essence I would not be charging for the aerial shot per se.

Question is, if I use an aerial element, even though the main part of my itemised (modest) charge is for editing, do I need to go down the route of PFAW and the attendant cost and time delay in getting this sorted?

I'll probably fire off an email to CAA about this too to see if there are are pragmatic guidelines.
Thanks
Steve
All of the above and the short answer is :
Yes you need PFAW to do what you are asking.
No gray area, no ambiguity, no 'but I don't charge for videoing only editing' argument and no 'but its only 10 seconds out of the whole piece of work'.
The CAA will see it as commercial work (which it is)

Sorry, but that's the long and short of it.

All - thanks for your input, very helpful.

So, my next question is who/where in the UK can provide the best value for money and service to get set up properly for commercial work.....or is that now a new thread??!!

p.s. if anyone is in the Manchester/Bolton area please get in touch...would be good to meet up and take a spin.

As the others have said what you are doing in classified as commercial work and you need permission from the CAA to do so.
I can only recommend the company I used which is the Resource group who are very professional and supply excellent training and are well regarded in the industry.
http://www.resourcegroup.co.uk/what-we-do/training/unmanned-aviation-training/

It takes a bit of work but is worth doing and you will be a better RPAS operator as a result.

As the others have said what you are doing in classified as commercial work and you need permission from the CAA to do so.
I can only recommend the company I used which is the Resource group who are very professional and supply excellent training and are well regarded in the industry.
http://www.resourcegroup.co.uk/what-we-do/training/unmanned-aviation-training/

It takes a bit of work but is worth doing and you will be a better RPAS operator as a result.
Thanks will look them up.S

Thanks will look them up.S

Whichever way you go, you are not looking at a quick process. We're talking months rather than weeks. Just make sure you factor this into your plans.

I went through RG too, happy with the training and support, though very frustrated with how long it took!

Good luck

Hi Steve,
I live in Helmshore, near Bolton, where are you?
Steve A.
Hi Steve.....in Daisy Hill area of Westhoughton. Was out at Rivington Pike flying last night...stunning up there and not that far from you. Give me a shout if you're in the area. S

Red Baron, I would recommend Aerial Motion Pictures (ICARUS). A very well run operation. Matt Williams is an ex RAF Puma pilot, and was the first person to mount a camera on a radio controlled helicopter for commercial filming purposes. His course is designed for the real world operation of these things in a commercial environment rather than the rather outmoded methods often put forward by EuroUSC etc (a client getting you to meet at a lat/long coordinate anybody?) I went with EuroUSC and switched to ICARUS for my operations test. Wish we had gone with him in the first place.

Unlike EuroUSC etc, you either pass or fail. You get the opportunity for a free resit (£210 under EuroUSC!) No extra hidden costs or trying to lie to you about needing to take new flight assessments for each new UAV you have, having to renew your qualification each year to stay "legal", or money grabbing pilot classes etc. And his theory course is full of practical lessons as opposed to sitting there listening to a man drone on about how the ICAO was formed or temperature lapse rates!

So if you want the no BS approach I would highly recommend him!
http://www.aerialmotionpictures.co.uk

Reactions: vinny

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool