Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Can I use this FW combination?

Reaction score
I have rolled the firmware back on my Inspire 1 V1, and controller according to the instructional videos and it appears to have worked. For some reason, I cannot get the controller to connect to the Inspire 1 while using firmware version 1.6. If I update the controller to 1.7.60, it connects and appears to work fine while on the ground with no props attached. My question is whether there is any known risk in using the following combination of firmware versions:

App: 3.1.68
AC: 1.8.1.00
RC: 1.7.60
CAM: 1.8.1.00

I have searched the forum for an answer and have only been successful in developing a skull crushing headache from staring at a computer screen for what seems like days.

I have rolled the firmware back on my Inspire 1 V1, and controller according to the instructional videos and it appears to have worked. For some reason, I cannot get the controller to connect to the Inspire 1 while using firmware version 1.6. If I update the controller to 1.7.60, it connects and appears to work fine while on the ground with no props attached. My question is whether there is any known risk in using the following combination of firmware versions:

App: 3.1.68
AC: 1.8.1.00
RC: 1.7.60
CAM: 1.8.1.00
My firmware .bin files are labeled "01.08.01.00." I believe the Go App reports the firmware as 1.8.1.40+. I don't have my Inspire 1 with me at the moment, so I'll have to check next time I'm at my house. I'm 90% sure about the FW versions.

I assume you have the X3 camera. The X3 CAM firmware will always match the AC firmware. The same is not true for the X5 CAM.

The firmware you have should work extremely well. I don't think the .40+ at the end will make a difference. But give me a couple days to check my FW version.

Regarding your RC FW conundrum, there's nothing wrong with running FW v1.7.60. There are 3 different controllers for the Inspire 1. A, B and C. This letter will be at the end of the controller model number. For example, "GL658C." I would bet money you have C, as it is my understanding that the A and B will only work with FW v1.6 with the legacy AC firmware you have installed. The C works with both. I have all 3 controllers, but haven't fully experimented with the FW numbers. I believe at this time I am using my "C" controller with FW v1.7.60. I will have to check.

Go App (forgive the rant)...

Regarding your Go App, I recommend v3.1.1. Anything newer than v3.1.1 is spyware. Some don't mind. I do. I do NOT send my flight information to DJI. Autonomy is important to me. The version you have will force you to login to the DJI mothership. This may randomly pop up when you're miles from WiFi or cell service. DJI won't let you fly until you log in. This bit me once. Never again.

Allowing DJI to track you may be something you don't care about. Most pilots probably don't care. But it's a huge deal for me. I relish my autonomy when I fly. I follow all the laws and the rules of course, but you will find that DJI GoFencing restrictions can be erroneous; grounding your drone in perfectly safe Class G airspace. This happened to me on one job one time. Never again. I have completely severed all ties with DJI. I purchased the Inspire 1. I OWN the Inspire 1. If I were renting the Inspire 1 from DJI, that would be a different story. I think you get my point.

All that said...

The firmware combination you have is a good one and should work extremely well. I would roll back your software to v3.1.1. I use iPads. If you're using Android Tablet, you'll have to find the Android equivalent of Go App v3.1.1. I BELIEVE the version numbers are the same. But I don't use Android, so I don't know. If you're using an iPad, rolling back software is NOT a "user friendly" process. It's a hack. Until I know more about how you are using your drone, you may not want to go down that rabbit hole.

I have searched the forum for an answer and have only been successful in developing a skull crushing headache from staring at a computer screen for what seems like days.
Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on one's point of view), there is a TON of information available on this stuff. Fortunately for you, I'm a pretty good source for Inspire 1 information. I fly my Inspire every week and have for years. I love it. She still continues to make about $1400/month residual income for me every month like clockwork. Not a lot of money, but it's one flight per week. So it's not a big time investment. And honestly, I love doing it. So there's that.

Unfortunately, I set her up years ago and haven't had to mess with her since (a testimonial as to how rock-solid the platform is). So it's been a while since I looked at all the nomenclature. Next time I'm flying my Inspire 1 I'll be sure to get a screen shot of my FW numbers. Rest assured, the combination you have right now will work extremely well.

Best of luck.

UPDATE: I found a screenshot of my FW versions. This is with the X5 camera.
1673111884697.jpeg

This may be an older screenshot with a different controller. But the important thing is the AC FW, which aligns with what you have.

D

Last edited:
Reactions: InspireEagle
My firmware .bin files are labeled "01.08.01.00." I believe the Go App reports the firmware as 1.8.1.40+. I don't have my Inspire 1 with me at the moment, so I'll have to check next time I'm at my house. I'm 90% sure about the FW versions.

I assume you have the X3 camera. The X3 CAM firmware will always match the AC firmware. The same is not true for the X5 CAM.

The firmware you have should work extremely well. I don't think the .40+ at the end will make a difference. But give me a couple days to check my FW version.

Regarding your RC FW conundrum, there's nothing wrong with running FW v1.7.60. There are 3 different controllers for the Inspire 1. A, B and C. This letter will be at the end of the controller model number. For example, "GL658C." I would bet money you have C, as it is my understanding that the A and B will only work with FW v1.6 with the legacy AC firmware you have installed. The C works with both. I have all 3 controllers, but haven't fully experimented with the FW numbers. I believe at this time I am using my "C" controller with FW v1.7.60. I will have to check.

Go App (forgive the rant)...

Regarding your Go App, I recommend v3.1.1. Anything newer than v3.1.1 is spyware. Some don't mind. I do. I do NOT send my flight information to DJI. Autonomy is important to me. The version you have will force you to login to the DJI mothership. This may randomly pop up when you're miles from WiFi or cell service. DJI won't let you fly until you log in. This bit me once. Never again.

Allowing DJI to track you may be something you don't care about. Most pilots probably don't care. But it's a huge deal for me. I relish my autonomy when I fly. I follow all the laws and the rules of course, but you will find that DJI GoFencing restrictions can be erroneous; grounding your drone in perfectly safe Class G airspace. This happened to me on one job one time. Never again. I have completely severed all ties with DJI. I purchased the Inspire 1. I OWN the Inspire 1. If I were renting the Inspire 1 from DJI, that would be a different story. I think you get my point.

All that said...

The firmware combination you have is a good one and should work extremely well. I would roll back your software to v3.1.1. I use iPads. If you're using Android Tablet, you'll have to find the Android equivalent of Go App v3.1.1. I BELIEVE the version numbers are the same. But I don't use Android, so I don't know. If you're using an iPad, rolling back software is NOT a "user friendly" process. It's a hack. Until I know more about how you are using your drone, you may not want to go down that rabbit hole.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on one's point of view), there is a TON of information available on this stuff. Fortunately for you, I'm a pretty good source for Inspire 1 information. I fly my Inspire every week and have for years. I love it. She still continues to make about $1400/month residual income for me every month like clockwork. Not a lot of money, but it's one flight per week. So it's not a big time investment. And honestly, I love doing it. So there's that.

Unfortunately, I set her up years ago and haven't had to mess with her since (a testimonial as to how rock-solid the platform is). So it's been a while since I looked at all the nomenclature. Next time I'm flying my Inspire 1 I'll be sure to get a screen shot of my FW numbers. Rest assured, the combination you have right now will work extremely well.

Best of luck.

UPDATE: I found a screenshot of my FW versions. This is with the X5 camera.
View attachment 33377

This may be an older screenshot with a different controller. But the important thing is the AC FW, which aligns with what you have.

D
I cannot thank you enough for sharing your knowledge of the Inspire on this site. I have flown for years, but recently acquired both a V1 and V2 version of the Inspire 1 platform and agree that these are unbelievably cool aircraft. (The V2 is running the latest firmware on both the AC and the RC and does not appear to have the video issue.)
Sitting in the front yard of my suburban home outside of Chicago, I routinely fly a Mavic Pro, Air 2, Mini and a couple of Yuneec H's, and an occasional neighbor will stop to see what I'm doing, but when I land the Inspire on my front sidewalk, you would think that I just landed a freaking Sikorsky Helicopter from the attention it draws.

I have the X3 camera.

Regarding the controller that will not downgrade back to 1.6.0, it is a model GL658A

Like you and many others, I came here looking for information on resolving the crappy video that appears to have resulted from the FW upgrade. I am happy to hear that the combo of RC and AC firmware that I have loaded will work as I have not yet test flown the Inspire since rolling back the firmware because I didn't want to risk a crash as a result of incompatible firmware. I'm going to give it a try in a few minutes and will report back.

Again, thanks for your dedication to this site and those of us who benefit from your experience and knowledge. Stay tuned.....

I cannot thank you enough for sharing your knowledge of the Inspire on this site. I have flown for years, but recently acquired both a V1 and V2 version of the Inspire 1 platform and agree that these are unbelievably cool aircraft. (The V2 is running the latest firmware on both the AC and the RC and does not appear to have the video issue.)
Sitting in the front yard of my suburban home outside of Chicago, I routinely fly a Mavic Pro, Air 2, Mini and a couple of Yuneec H's, and an occasional neighbor will stop to see what I'm doing, but when I land the Inspire on my front sidewalk, you would think that I just landed a freaking Sikorsky Helicopter from the attention it draws.

I have the X3 camera.

Regarding the controller that will not downgrade back to 1.6.0, it is a model GL658A

Like you and many others, I came here looking for information on resolving the crappy video that appears to have resulted from the FW upgrade. I am happy to hear that the combo of RC and AC firmware that I have loaded will work as I have not yet test flown the Inspire since rolling back the firmware because I didn't want to risk a crash as a result of incompatible firmware. I'm going to give it a try in a few minutes and will report back.
Worth noting, it's my experience that if you can LINK the RC to the Inspire 1, you're good to go (green light). There are situations where you'll get a "half connection," but that will net a different color RC LED...or it blinks. If you have a solid green LED, you're good to go. If the RC beeps, calibrate the controller. You'll have to disconnect from the drone (power drone off) to do this.

Again, thanks for your dedication to this site and those of us who benefit from your experience and knowledge. Stay tuned.....
My pleasure. Glad to help.

D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gonengo Brian