Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Did I over do this color grade?

Reaction score
I am doing a video for a promotional video for a client and while they will probably have it all graded by a professionally studio I want to take my own crack at it. I can have a tendency to over do it a little so I was hoping I could get your input on this grade. The vector scope is showing I am almost out of gamut on the yellows but if I turn them down at all the whole image just seems to lose its pop. What do you think?

This is my edit.

This is the original untouched RAW for reference.

Thanks!

Reactions: slim.slamma
I am doing a video for a promotional video for a client and while they will probably have it all graded by a professionally studio I want to take my own crack at it. I can have a tendency to over do it a little so I was hoping I could get your input on this grade. The vector scope is showing I am almost out of gamut on the yellows but if I turn them down at all the whole image just seems to lose its pop. What do you think?

This is my edit.

Thanks!
I guess the reactions will vary on this. I would tame it just a tad even though I like rich color. Most important is if the client is happy.
What took my attention though was that the building does not look straight. The whole building leans to the right a bit. It is distracting and the clip needs to be marginally rotated CCW in post to correct that.

Last edited:
I guess the reactions will vary on this. I would tame it just a tad even though I like rich color. Most important is if the client is happy.
What took my attention though was that the building does not look straight. The whole building leans to the right a bit. It is distracting and the clip needs to be marginally rotated CCW in post to correct that.
Thanks! I didn't see the tilt but when you said that I brought up and grid and it was off 1.2 degrees and you can tell a difference.

Good eye!

Do you think saturation is too high or the colors are just too bright? As you can see I had to bring up the shadows quite a bit from the RAW but I really didn’t add but the slightest color boost (vibrancy). That color just shows up from the act of pulling up the shadows and bringing the blacks back down.

Do you think saturation is too high or the colors are just too bright? As you can see I had to bring up the shadows quite a bit from the RAW but I really didn’t add but the slightest color boost (vibrancy). That color just shows up from the act of pulling up the shadows and bringing the blacks back down.
As I said before the colors look a bit oversaturated to me, especially the sky and greens. But grading is very personal and there is not really right or wrong unless it is absolutely obvious and that is not the case here, to me anyway. The only opinion which really matters is your client's. Client happy, checque in the bank, everybody happy :)

Reactions: slim.slamma
As I said before the colors look a bit oversaturated to me, especially the sky and greens. But grading is very personal and there is not really right or wrong unless it is absolutely obvious and that is not the case here, to me anyway. The only opinion which really matters is your client's. Client happy, checque in the bank, everybody happy :)
Thanks for the insight it has been very helpful!

This is my edit.

Thanks!
The color grading certainly brings the POP out of the video. Just about looks like an artist rendering. I agree with a previous comment about taming it down just a tad and it looks well done.

Reactions: Brett8883
Hey if the client loves it then it looks great. We seem to live in a space where the rich colors are preferable to the public, non creative people.

This is my edit.

Thanks!
What camera gimbal is this? I am having a hard time with color grading and using a X4S. I think it is possible to color grade with this gimbal but I am not so sure it is worth it to shoot in D-log with it. I know there is a thread on here about color grading and I have tried to understand it.

What camera gimbal is this? I am having a hard time with color grading and using a X4S. I think it is possible to color grade with this gimbal but I am not so sure it is worth it to shoot in D-log with it. I know there is a thread on here about color grading and I have tried to understand it.
This is with the X5R. I firmly believe that shooting in RAW is what allowed me to put such a heavy grade on it.

I used Davinci Resolve 16 to correct and grade.

This is with the X5R. I firmly believe that shooting in RAW is what allowed me to put such a heavy grade on it.

I used Davinci Resolve 16 to correct and grade.
Looks fantastic, I hope to understand it fully some day. I am reading the entire thread tonight. Thank You

Hey if the client loves it then it looks great. We seem to live in a space where the rich colors are preferable to the public, non creative people.
Yea I posed this question to Mavic Pilots too and it was well received. I think I’m gonna send this one and the toned down version to the client and they'll use which one they like better.

Here's the toned down version. Takes some of the punch out but looks more natural. Do you guys think this one looks better or the first one?

I would bring the brightness down a bit. It looks a bit too luminous now and it looses the depth. Maybe just pull the curve down in the middle a tad.

Saturation is tough. It's super easy to get carried away with it. It's "pretty," but what's your objective here? If "professionalism" is your objective, look to the film industry. The only time you'll see something this saturated is when it's intended to be part of a dream sequence or other "unrealistic" part of a story. If this is part of an advertisement, again, I would look to television. Rarely will you see this kind of saturation. Since you're obviously not doing fiction, I would keep the color palate more "realistic." I saw some comments on exposure, but the exposure looks good to me. That said...

As pointed out already, level the horizon in post. And I honestly don't like drone shots that change trajectory in the middle of the shot. Edit out the "curve" and use a dissolve instead. 90% of good aerial video is done in post.

Just my 2 cents...

D

Ok so no matter what I do to that clip I can’t take out the saturation without taking out the depth as well. I found this take which I shot on another day.

Do you guys think this is a better shot or the first one? Don’t mind the changing height on the first on. I intend to use at most the first ten seconds of either clip.

Thanks!

Ok so no matter what I do to that clip I can’t take out the saturation without taking out the depth as well. I found this take which I shot on another day.

Do you guys think this is a better shot or the first one? Don’t mind the changing height on the first on. I intend to use at most the first ten seconds of either clip.

Thanks!

This looks fine to me. Level out that horizon.

D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sjoby08