Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Disabling the No Fly Zone protection

Reaction score
Has anybody figured out a way to disable the No Fly Zone protection on the Inspire or are we stuffed on that front? The reason I ask is I have a shoot inside a large hangar near an airport. the flying would all be done inside but I'm assuming the NFZ will not allow it anyway as I'm sure GPS would still be attained.

Has anybody figured out a way to disable the No Fly Zone protection on the Inspire or are we stuffed on that front? The reason I ask is I have a shoot inside a large hangar near an airport. the flying would all be done inside but I'm assuming the NFZ will not allow it anyway as I'm sure GPS would still be attained.
Unfortunately to be able to do that, we need a non consumer oriented strategy from DJI. Professional UAV/RPAS pilots are perfectly capable of deciding where to fly and where not.
Consumers however, need to be protected (read DJI) against their ignorance. And as long as DJI is not targeting the Inspire1 specifically towards the commercial, professional pilot, they will nanny us. Their other high end flight control systems are not crippled with no fly zones, but obviously those are not for the masses. The I1 neither in my perspective but DJI thinks differently. They even threw the whole software development for the I1 and the obviously consumer targeted P3's on the same pile. We're at the mercy of the nitwits.

Actually: A no fly zone is a form of autonomous operation. The craft itself makes the decision not to fly. And it happens that autonomous operation is still illegal for professional use, and probably stay illegal for a long time. It is simply not safe that there are features in the operational control of the craft that can't be influenced by the pilot.

It might eventually even lead to not certifying a I1 for professional use anymore.

Our Dutch police force and fire departments ordered a good many I1's. Wonder how they look at that. They surely should be able to fly in a no fly zone at times.

Reactions: VAP
I'm not one to try it, but would disabling (unplugging) the gps work?

There are a number of different no fly zones. Most of which have altitude limitations near airports, structures, etc. Others are verboten all together. These are things like military and Federal facilities that are protecting our countries secrets. And then there are places like Washington DC where they are prohibited to protect political stupidity. Politicians hate it when we lambs know what they are really up to.

if you are shooting inside a hanger its highly unlikely you will be able to get a gps signal

U can take off the top plastic on the I1 and disconnect the GPS or you can make a "hat" out of aluminum foil so the GPS cannot communicate. I have tried both of these methods personally and they work 100%. You will probably get answers from lots of folks who have never tried these methods, but will offer you their "theories", (so please consider the source). ;)

Thanks for the tips. I'll have a play with the tin foil hat idea and see if I can come up with something that doesn't get blown off by the prop wash.

Just be careful if you fly inside without GPS, if it picks up a signal during flight it may use it, and it might not be a good signal, I would try for the complete disconnect over a foil hat if possible. .. .

Ive flown inside and had a bad GPS signal kick in, it wasnt much fun

Not sure how you're able to even get a gps signal indoors, lots of skylights maybe? Lol Make sure the vision positioning system is turned on and I would use atti mode. Disconnect or tinfoil hat sounds like the best idea if you are able to get a gps signal indoors which is highly unlikely. Also it may not even be necessary, check their nfz map, contrary to popular belief not every airport is blocked by software, not all airports with commercial traffic are blocked.

I have flown in similar circumstances with my Phantom 3 (indoors at a machine shop neighbouring a major airport), and although the app warned me I was in a no-fly zone, it took off and flew just fine (in atti mode mind you). I thought this to be very strange as my Phantom 2 would not even take off.

Just be careful if you fly inside without GPS, if it picks up a signal during flight it may use it, and it might not be a good signal, I would try for the complete disconnect over a foil hat if possible. .. .

Ive flown inside and had a bad GPS signal kick in, it wasnt much fun

Isn't that what the flight mode switch on the transmitter is for? Why bother disconnecting or making hats when you can just simply flip the switch to manual mode?

Isn't that what the flight mode switch on the transmitter is for? Why bother disconnecting or making hats when you can just simply flip the switch to manual mode?
I think the no fly zones are still enforced in atti mode

Tried it have you?
yup, being indoors blocks gps signal every time for me, unless youre next to a window perhaps. Doesnt work in my house, but i do have a metal roof. Power up your inspire in your house away from any windows and see if you get gps lock, id very much doubt it even through asphalt and wood residential building, no possible way its going to penetrate a commercial metal building, unless it has skylights maybe, lol

yup, being indoors blocks gps signal every time for me, unless youre next to a window perhaps. Doesnt work in my house, but i do have a metal roof. Power up your inspire in your house away from any windows and see if you get gps lock, id very much doubt it even through asphalt and wood residential building, no possible way its going to penetrate a commercial metal building, unless it has skylights maybe, lol
or if you are flying under a single layer roof that isnt metalic.......

People flying inside should really be careful, I got a flashing green light in my warehouse the other day. That coudl have caused me some big issues if I had been flying

or if you are flying under a single layer roof that isnt metalic.......

People flying inside should really be careful, I got a flashing green light in my warehouse the other day. That coudl have caused me some big issues if I had been flying
they are designed to fly indoors with the vision positioning system, however youre supposed to use atti mode as any errant gps signal you might get inside a building would be very unreliable and could disrupt flight, not a chance id want to take.

they are designed to fly indoors with the vision positioning system, however youre supposed to use atti mode as any errant gps signal you might get inside a building would be very unreliable and could disrupt flight, not a chance id want to take.
correct, the problem being that the VPS is a pile of useless shite. I was thinking about actualyl removing mine and seeing what happens... the only problem with removing it being that in an auto landing situation it would then definatly not know its height...... although in practice the thing is worse than useless and I think id rather it just came down slowly until it hits the floor and tries a yaw twist like the phantom

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool