Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Disassemble X5R to reach the sensor

Reaction score
Website
goldenskybirds.com
Does some one disassembled his X5 or X5R camera so to reach the sensor for cleaning? I'm trying to unscrew the four screws at the bayonet but it looks that they are really hard glued, I've tried heating them with soldering iron but nothing happens. Any advice on how to unscrew those?

Sorry I can't help you with your question about the screws but I really like your web site. Was very impressed !!

Reactions: niki
Does some one disassembled his X5 or X5R camera so to reach the sensor for cleaning? I'm trying to unscrew the four screws at the bayonet but it looks that they are really hard glued, I've tried heating them with soldering iron but nothing happens. Any advice on how to unscrew those?

Remove the lens.

1602981384953.png

D

This is not the sensor but a protection glass, lol. I need to reach the sensor itself as there is one spec on it also there are some specs on the oposite side of the protection glass. Do you see the four screws in the picture you posted? They are really hard glued. I've even purcased a set of good screw drivers but still no go.

This is not the sensor but a protection glass, lol. I need to reach the sensor itself as there is one spec on it also there are some specs on the oposite side of the protection glass. Do you see the four screws in the picture you posted? They are really hard glued. I've even purcased a set of good screw drivers but still no go.

Touché. I removed the lens on my X5 and upon VERY close examination I can see that there APPEARS to be a layer of glass over the sensor. That said...

A dust speck directly on the sensor (or underside of the glass) suggests that there's an open gap between the two. I would hit the lens with some dry air from a real air compressor with a moisture filter (not canned air). Start low @ like 10 PSI and work up until the speck is dislodged. It seems this would be easier than taking the lens apart. If you don't personally own that kind of compressor set up, surely you know somebody who might? That said...

I'm going to guess that the screws are treated with some kind of robust threadlock product like LocTite™ 271 or the like. If so, removing that screw is going to be nearly impossible. But if that's the route you're going to take, I would trust nothing but the best screwdriver money can buy. Ifixit seems to make some very high quality stuff. I haven't personally tried their stuff but they surely have a lot of endorsements. Wiha is a brand I own and have never had any complaints.

I wish I had better advice. Good luck!

D

Touché. I removed the lens on my X5 and upon VERY close examination I can see that there APPEARS to be a layer of glass over the sensor. That said...

A dust speck directly on the sensor (or underside of the glass) suggests that there's an open gap between the two. I would hit the lens with some dry air from a real air compressor with a moisture filter (not canned air). Start low @ like 10 PSI and work up until the speck is dislodged. It seems this would be easier than taking the lens apart. If you don't personally own that kind of compressor set up, surely you know somebody who might? That said...

I'm going to guess that the screws are treated with some kind of robust threadlock product like LocTite™ 271 or the like. If so, removing that screw is going to be nearly impossible. But if that's the route you're going to take, I would trust nothing but the best screwdriver money can buy. Ifixit seems to make some very high quality stuff. I haven't personally tried their stuff but they surely have a lot of endorsements. Wiha is a brand I own and have never had any complaints.

I wish I had better advice. Good luck!

D
Thanks for the suggestions Donnie!
Definitelly the compressed air is something I preffer but as you said the one from a can is not working, maybe not enough PSI or simply the dirt got stuck really hard on that glass. I can live with one spec on the sensor but the other dirt is way too much (7-8 spots, some with irregular shape) and when shooting at F10 I start crying when see the picture, the spots are visible at the sky only or similar situation like a wall or other large object with relatively constant color filling atleast 1/3 of the frame so it's not something that totally ruins the use of the camera in such situations. Sometimes I have to shoot at F8 to 11 because the shot start or end close to a subject and the go wider and I try to avoid using focus racking as this gets very complex to execute and also need a focus puller (third guy in our team). I'll ask firends to help me find real compressor. Meanwhile I'm planning to put a drop of acetone to soak on one of the screws to see if that will help on removing them.

I'll ask firends to help me find real compressor.

Good plan. Most guys have regulators on their compressor setups, so start @ 10 PSI. I would work up to MAYBE 40 PSI. I don't think I would go much higher than that. But go up in baby steps, as it may take only 15 or 20 PSI to dislodge all the specks.

Meanwhile I'm planning to put a drop of acetone to soak on one of the screws to see if that will help on removing them.

That's a tough call. Acetone is NOT plastic-friendly. I imagine the lens utilizes seals to keep light out. I'm no lens expert...just speculating. Acetone can be some nasty stuff when it hits petroleum products.

Good luck!

D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlberthaLo